Old January 11th 04, 02:40 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Default we'll all drown!!

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .
Jon Porter wrote:

We already can as you must well know, but of course that is inconvenient

your argument. I've already posted the sources as you also well know. No

don't work for Serco. I could reveal it, no contractual limitations and
others may already know who I work for, but I and at least two others

who
have read this thread prefer to just let you carry on in you own

ignorance,
simply because your arrogance and lack of knowledge, combined with a
prejudice that is almost mind blowing, (considering what you do

currently)
is most entertaining!
To sum up, you deny hydrogen fuel can be made cleanly,

No, I deny that it came be made cleanly and economically. I have severe
doubts about the sanity of the entire cycle of production by any means
but you appear to know little or nothing about the energetics of
hydrogen production and while you are long on words, you have been
entirely bereft of facts.

Seems I, and others here, know more than you (and about you for that
matter!) Do some research and stop being so lazy! (Students today want it
all on a plate!)

The web pages that you pointed me and others towards are simply
references to marketing hype. Not very helpful.

Then go to the library or order the info from the links, certainly those
reading this thread may find it useful even if you don't wish to.

it already can be and
industrial trials are under way in Canada and USA. As pointed out it

uses
waste biological material, glucose mixures and has nickel/tin as a

catalyst
instead of platinum. Low temperature process (450c) Emission neutral,

and
cleaner than petro-chemical processes.

yawn How much? Not how much has been made, but that's a moot point
too, how much does it cost to produce?

You obviously didn't read the link and the subsequent links from that, the
figures were all there. But I expect you'll be able to tell everyone how
much it will cost to produce diesel in 5 years time? No ? Using the
processes devised and todays prices , cost of Hydrogen at 2.80pnds a litre
to produce,(diesel is 23p) will be reduced to around 61p a litre. The
relevant costs are likely to reverse in time as oil prices rise with
scarcity and hydrogen production costs come down.. The raw material for
hydrogen production being renewable and the energy/material costs being
lower. Remember low temperature and no need for a platinum catalyst.
Additional benefits can be gained by the use of the taxation system. The
less emissions, the lower the tax

You deny the need to build vehicles to put fuel cells in,

At this stage, yes. It's the wrong end of the problem. We know we can
make vehicles containing fuel cells, it's hardly a challenge in
engineering terms, just as it's not a challenge to produce vehicles
running on LPG.

Incorrect read on.

Producing hydrogen powered vehicles today isn't research, it's
showboating.

prototype vehicles are needed to prove engineering principles and new
materials. All well and dandy going straight into production and then
finding things break.

Oh dear, engineering really isn't your subject is it? I'd stick to
something you do understand.

Well it's plainly not yours now is it? As for me I get by on the salary I
get paid for, well, engineering actually.

Now, think. Hydrogen has a lower calorific value, therefore any vehicle
powered by it needs to have a lighter body to gain any advantage over diesel
engined vehicles. That means using some fairly exotic alloys and plastics
that are rarely seen outside the motor racing or aircraft industry. If you
think I or any other responsible engineer is going to sign a certificate of
design acceptance on a passenger carrying vehicle to be mass produced
without prototype testing, then it shows you know very little about
engineering. Hence the initial costs are high as with any prototype. But in
the overall scale of things small beer when the production run is started.
Mercedes happen to be rather good at what they do, rather better I fear than
someone not long out of sixth form.

"One of my clients is *the* leader in the development of small fuel
cells."

No they're not, you cannot prove that any more than the companies themselves
can. Even if such a relationship existed they're hardly your clients at all
are they? It's like me claiming the Government is "my" client, when in fact
they are clients of my employers and I simply write the report on behalf of
my employers. It's a fantasy trip for you to claim as such, bit like the
Firth Consultancy on the organisation part of your postings.
You can rant, troll and snip on all you like, maybe your grant is being paid
by a company that stands to lose out in the long run? We know some oil
producers are a tad concerned at the progress made, hence their attempts to
buy certain patents. Why would oil producers try to buy the patent on
something being freely shared amongst research institutions, if not to
stifle it's development? Unless of course they think in a few years cheap
hydrogen production from renewable sources part of their business? In
future, you may find it helpful, when quoting from DfT reports as support
for spurious arguments, it helps if you read the full report and the
subsequent links to see who the author of that same report is. That way you
do not find yourself using just half the information to support all of your
argument against the person who produced the data in the first place.

http://www.manwillneverfly.com/

In the meantime I suggest we propose Steven Firth, as a member of the above
society.

Old January 11th 04, 01:32 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

In article , Steve Firth
writes

That's "Firth Consulting", your reading skills really are suspect. I've
ben trading as "Firth Consulting" since the late 80s and I'm bemused by
your rant above. I'm self-employed. I issue tenders to the client, visit
their premises from tie to time, undertake contracts that we agree and
invoice them for the project. In what way are my clients not my clients?

You know, you can argue far more credibly if your usenet posting profile
doesn't reveal you to be a complete clown.

--
Steve
Old January 11th 04, 03:31 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

In article , Steve Firth
writes
Steve wrote:

You know, you can argue far more credibly if your usenet posting profile
doesn't reveal you to be a complete clown.

Was that your mission statement?

You appear to have failed at your first attempt. I look forward to
seeing something from you in the future that isn't a risible waste of
electrons.

Like most of your usenet posts, you mean? You appear to inhabit a
fantasy world.

Why does 'Firth Consulting' have no web presence when you have been to
the trouble of buying domains and setting up web space? (and does not
appear to exist in any company search I run).

If you are working for clients in the fuel cell arena, why are you not
registered in the two biggest directories in the fuel cell industry?

You know, if you knew as much about uk usenet as you claim, you'd know
who I was.
--
Steve
Old January 11th 04, 05:31 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

In article , Steve Firth
writes
Steve wrote:

Like most of your usenet posts, you mean? You appear to inhabit a
fantasy world.

You can of course provide an example that supports your amusing claim?
Bear in mind that I have met several regular UK posters in RL, both
socially and at work and several of them recruit my services from time
to time. So it would be foolish if I were to exaggerate or plain lie
about who I am and what I do.

As you use x-no-archive in your posts, you know I can't.

However, a quick google groups search (hardly stalking) tells me more
than enough.

Goodnight, troll
--
Steve
Old January 12th 04, 09:58 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Steve Firth wrote:
Aidan Stanger wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
Aidan Stanger wrote:

Even if you believe that it's unlikely to ever become commercially
viable, that does not excuse your assumption that hydrogen generation
will continue to be as environmentally inefficient as it currently is.

Me and Ricardo Engineering eh?

If that is what they're assuming then yes.

They are assuming nothing.

Well in that case, no - 'tis just you.

The lack of fasibility lies in the energetics
of the transformation of the feedstock. This is not going to change,
ever, because it's a physical constant.

I supplied an example of how it is likely to. If and when Iceland (or
somewhere with surplus renewable energy) starts exporting that energy as
hydrogen, your assumption will be disproven regardless of physical
constants.

You appear to be advocating basing your opinions on the assumption that
it will never happen. IMNSHO that isn't a sensible belief.

Why should "belief" replace "evidence"? The only people who do that are
religious fanatics and the hydrogen "economy" appears to the source of a
new religion "cheap clean power for everyone, if only you beleive".

Belief shouldn't replace evidence - that's my point! Your assumptions
are based on beliefs not facts. Even though some of those beliefs are
themselves based on evidence, they're not based on ALL the evidence.

Nor do I claim that they are. However you appear to be short of evidence
yourself. What you have posted above is belief, not evidence. You
beleive that if someone knows ALL the evidence that they will conclude
that hydrogen is a feasible fuel. Fine, you don't even need to post ALL
the evidence, just the relevant part.

You are the one making the claim that the future situation will be the
same as the status quo! I'm merely telling you why I consider that to be
unlikely.

Off you go.

I regard hunting URLs as rather boring, so will not just collect
evidence because you tell me to!

What evidence would be sufficient for you to conceed the point?

I need no excuse for being sceptical of the claims of snake oil
salesmen.

Nor should you.

I need no "belief" in miracle solution to producing hydrogen,
because pysically it simply is not possible.

No, you believe it is not possible. Evidence suggests otherwise, because
places like Iceland have abundant renewable energy that can't be
exported in the conventional way (unless there's an enormous rise in the
cost of electricity, construction of very long undersea electricity
cables is unlikely to ever be profitable). Exporting hydrogen is the
obvious solution for them, and it's not a coincidence that Iceland's
more enthusiastic about the hydrogen economy than any other nation. As
long as there's a demand for it, there will be some hydrogen available.

Care to quanitify what proportion of the world's energy needs can be
produced by Iceland? No, I thought not.

Who said anything about THE WORLD'S energy needs? This is about whether
or not it will be available in the forseeable future, not whether or not
it will gain a large market share.

There's also nuclear energy, where power generation is cheap but the
output can't easily be varied. I believe hydrogen generation is probably
going to be a good way of using up the surplus produced in offpeak
times. You may believe it isn't, but that is just a belief, not a fact.

No, the figures for the cost of generating hydrogen from nuclear fission
wer eone of the issues I addressed early in this futile thread.

I can't find any mention from you. What's the messageID?

It's one of the more expensive options, even using off-peak energy.

The figures for hydrogen production for the next 20 years have been\0
estimated by Ricardo and the DfT. Unless some mystic moonbeam technology

Is electrolysis from geothermal energy a "mystic moonbeam technology"?

Is electrolysis from geothermal:

1) Clean (A: no, there is the evolution of hydroxide radicals and

AIUI those have a pollution-reducing effect (although I'd be very
surprised if the quantity produced were enough to make any measurable
impact anyway).

chlorine to consider,

Obviously the equipment would have to be designed not to emit
significant amounts of chlorine. Do you think this would be a problem?

not to mention the potential for global warming and depletion of the ozone
layer that results from the escape of hydrogen gas during manufacture.
Hydrogen is as significant a greenhouse gas as methane.)

Hydrogen is far more easily oxidized than methane, so won't be around
for as long. As for the ozone layer, do you really think it's a threat?
Although it reacts with ozone, it doesn't catalytically destroy it the
way chlorine monoxide does.

2) Globally significant (A: No. Good luck to those countries with
geothermal energy but on a global scale they represent a tiny fraction
of the world's energy needs.)

Hence my next comment:
appears then it's simply not feasible to rely on a hydrogen economy.

That depends on what you mean by "rely on".

I know as well as you do that hydrogen isn't going to be the main form
of energy distribution. However, I do think people are going to start
using it for certain purposes, of which city buses may be one.

(And no, I don't think we'll ever reach the situation where ALL the
buses are hydrogen powered - 'tis more likely they'll only use them on
the routes where the air pollution levels are highest).

as well as rubbishing/trying to discourage others from
pursuing the research.

I'm not trying to dissuade anyoen from research. However farcical
publicity stunts without any relevant end application such as these
crazy bus scheme do nothing positive.

Why do you not consider running buses on hydrogen to be a "relevant end
application"?

One million quid a bus,

This is only the cost for the prototype. They'd be a lot cheaper once
they got into series production.

The buses in question are costing a million a package,

No, this particular question relates to a relevant end application, not
the trial itself.

it is not a relevant end application

Answer the question: why not?

and it does nothing positive.

IMO reducing pollution in city streets is something positive.

Your belief in what may happen in future is irrelevant to discussion of
the motives for this particular cynical piece of explotation and
manipulation of public perception.

That is merely your belief!

energy costs that are unquantified bu at present hydrogen costs likely to
be ovr 10 times the cost of running a bus on diesel, greater emissions (in
total) than runnign the same bus on diesel.

None of which will be true when hydrogen from renewables becomes readily
available.

Ow, just look at that beleif system click into action. When will this
mythical cheap renewable hydrogen come into being then?

Did I claim I knew??

In what way is this scheme relevant to anythign other than a bit of
advertising and an attempt to shoehorn development costs out of
government (i.e. out of the pockets of the taxpayer)?

It is relevant to understanding the obstcles to the commercialization of
this technology. You seem to think that generating the hydrogen is the
only problem, but that's far from the case.

It is the immovable, unanswerable, unaddressed problem that the
advocates of a hydrogen economy want to ignore.

Not all of them want to ignore it - many of their jobs depend upon it!

It's not research,

Does this mean you think that the results of this trial won't lead to
either a better design of hydrogen bus or an abandonment of the idea?

In what way is doing somethign that we already know is possible, but
economically and environmentally pointless "research"?

Because economic factors change, and in the future it may be worthwhile.
And just because we know something is possible doesn't mean we know how
best to do it. Unforseen problems may take a long time to solve, so it
is sensible to start sooner rather than later.

Answer the question.

I thought I did! I guess I'll have to break it down a bit more so it's
easier for you to digest!

We know it's possible, but finding out what the best way of doing it,
and what the pitfalls to avoid are is research.

The fact that it is currently economically and environmentally pointless
does not mean the research is worthless, because there is a signigicant
chance that the economic and environmental factors will change - there
are certainly a lot of people working on trying to change them.

This is as much research as those people that telephone during
dinnertime and say "I'm doing research on behalf of insert scamming
company here."

These buses won't interrupt your dinner, so what's the problem?

Your failure to understand an analogy is noted.

Your incorrect assumption that I failed to understand an analogy is
noted.

all it is is cynical marketing at its worst.

What IYO makes it "cynical"? Do you regard every publicity stunt as so?

Those responsible for the bus know that it cannot be sold to operators
without massive subsidy.

They're not trying to sell these buses. In the future it is likely that
they will be able to sell hydrogen buses to operators without massive
subsidy.

They are selling the buses. They are obtaining the money fromt he
ockets of public via taxation but the buses are nontheless being sold.

I was under the impression they were being leased.

They know that it's not even a viable form of transport.

They do not yet know under what conditions it will become a viable form
of transport. This trial should help to establish that.

Utter hogwash. This 'trial' is a marketing showcase and nothing more.

Evidence?

They claim environmental benefits while knowign that not only
are there *no* environmental benefits,

The reduction in local pollution on busy city streets is an
environmental benefit.

Not to those of us who live outside cities.

Even they might want to visit some time!

Anyway, surely people don't personally have to benefit from something in
order to consider it an environmental benefit!

It's no more than NIMBY technology, moving the pollution of the city into
the extra-urban environment.

Moving it from where it has a significant impact to where it doesn't.

Besides, as others have pointed out, pollution can more easily be
controlled in fixed locations than in vehicles.

It also saddles those who have no need for such a solution
with the costs of implementing that solution.

Not if those who need a solution are the ones paying.

And it remains not much of a solution.

That's a different issue.

Pollution on city streets is currently represented more by
diesel than by other fuels.

Which supports what I've been saying.

Indeed in my own immediate area,
measurements of urban pollution showed that pollutions was increasing as
cars were removed from the streets by provision of park and ride and
gating the city centre to prevent access by private vehicles.

It's difficult to confirm that data because once it became available,
the local authority pulled all the reports and stopped measuring the
decline in air quality. After all they don't want facts to obscure dogma
do they?

I don't know. Who are your local authority?

but that use of hydrogen as a
fuel is less sustainable and less efficient than use of hydrocarbons.

That only applies to hydrogen generated from hydrocarbons,

No it applies to hydrogen generation from almost any source. It is less
efficient to generate hydrogen then to oxidise it to produce electricty
than it is to use that electricity directly. It is less efficient to
produce hydrogen from a fuel source than it is to use that fuel directly
in the first place.

You are of course correct on that. Sorry, I was trying to make the point
that there are fuel sources for which your statement does not hold true.

and even then it may be possible to do it efficiently (making use of the
heat generated in the process).

We produce waste industrial heat now. Any of our industrial processes
could be made more efficient by re-using that waste heat. yet in general
heat recovery schemes are few and far between. Why should this change
for hydrogen production?

I hope it will change for the other things!

BTW there is another scenario that I think you should consider. IMO it's
unlikely, but since your predictions of future events are so different
to mine, I'm wondering what you'd make of it:

Cheap oil runs out (or at least production peaks and declines). Much of
the remaining oil is very deep and can not be (environmentally or
economically) efficiently extracted. Instead, fuel is made synthetically
using natural gas and a zeolite catalyst. Hydrogen is produced as a
byproduct.

Uh huh, and why should natural gas be more available than oil? In the UK
it looks likely that natural gas supplies will be exhausted before oil
reserves. Although it's a fine margin of error.

AIUI the opposite is the case in Bahrain. And around the world (notably
in Australia and NZ) there are many gasfields that don't produce oil.

Let me put it to you this way:

About 20% of the nation's energy consumption is represented by
transport. The overwhelming majority of energy used goes upon industrial
and space heating requirements. Much of that energy requirement can be
provided by electricity, directly, no need for hydrogen as an
intermediate carrier.

So if we are serious about reducing atmospheric pollution, we don't have
to **** around with hydrogen, all we need to do is to generate all our
electricity without emissions.

True to some extent, but atmospheric pollution is not proportional to
CO2 emissions. Vehicles contribute much more to atmospheric pollution.

That technology exists today, in the form of nuclear energy. So all we
have to do is to stop using natural gas, oil and coal for power
production and to build nuclear. At a stroke (about a five to ten year
development cycle) we would reduce CO2 emissions to the level where we
would have no need to worry about the minority use of fuel in transport.

Indeed, one of your own solutions was electrolysis of water usign
nuclear energy. So why **** about with this energetically unfavourable
process? Just use the electricity where it is needed and save emissions.

Because the output of nuclear reactors can't easily be varied, so if you
rely more on nuclear energy then as well as electricity when you need
it, you get a lot of it when you don't. Hence my suggestion of using the
surplus to generate hydrogen.

However, there may be a better way of doing it. I think thorium reactors
are the way of the future - they give you more control of the process
and don't produce the radioactive waste that conventional fission
reactors do.

They do this "research" in order to gain publicity and public support
from unthinking dupes.

They certainly try to gain publicity from it (as many companies do) but
that tells us nothing about the validity (or otherwise) of the research.

It tells us a great deal, the publicity is more important than the
research.

It tells us the publicity is important. It does not tell us about the
relative importance.

Utter ********. If any body proposes something with as far
reaching consequences as a change to hydrogen as a fuel then they
had better damn well ahve *done* their research.

And there's an awful lot of research to do. This is only a small part.

This is not research.

Have you got any evidence for that claim?

Have you any evidence that it is research?

Not much - just their claim, the fact that it's been officially
accepted, and simple logic (they've got everything set up to do some
reaearch so it would be incredibly stupid for them not to).

Do you have any evidence that their claim is fraudulent?

Not be asking the rest of us to follow along as an act of faith.

Just how exactly are the hydrogen bus builders doing that???

Do keep up.

I'm way ahead of you! I know why you think the hydrogen bus builders are
doing that, but have you actually got any evidence?

sigh Hydrogen, costs more to produce than nydrocarbon fuels, less
energetically efficient to produce than hydrocarbon fuels, results in
greater emissions of CO2 rather than reducign emissions. No prospect of
clean hydrogen in the pipeline in the forseeable future.

That last sentence is your opinion, not evidence.

hence any adoption of hydrogen as a fuel can only be an act of faith and
in the short term more damaging than status quo.

Could you not think that out for yourself?

But nobody's going to buy a fleet of hydrogen buses until that changes.
I see no evidence that they're expecting us to follow along until we
have proof of the viability.

Fuel cells are a diversion from the real issues. Claiming hydrogen
to be "zero emission" is a dioversion from the facts and does the
proponents of a hydrogen economy no favours.

Apart from H2O and heat, there are no emissions - it will actually
reduce the amount of pollution in the air.

Untrue.

Evidence?

[Note that in the article you were replying to, I was referring to
hydrogen use NOT hydrogen generation]

I know you were trying to duck the issue, but you cannot. You cannot
consider point of use in isolation. To do so is the mark of an idiot or
a liar.

Claiming that I cannot consider the point of use and the point of
manufacture separately marks YOU as an idiot or a liar!

Your claim to know that I was trying to duck the issue is a lie. If I
were trying to duck the issue I wouldn't've mentioned it in the very
next sentence! I was making the point that for the purpose of these
trials (which are about how well the buses work) it should be seen as a
separate issue.

Moving pollution elsewhere is not reducign pollution.

Some types of pollution are more of a problem locally than globally.

Again, hogwash. Pollution is pollution.

Ozone is a good counterexample. Near ground level it's pollution, but
higher up it isn't.

How would you measure the cost of pollution?

Hydrogen generation is a different issue. It can be zero emission and I
expect that in the future most of it will be. However, you should
remember that this is only a trial of the hydrogen buses. At this stage
it is best to get hydrogen from the most readily available source,
whatever that is.

It's best to forget the damn things until hydrogen can be manufactured
from renewable or at the very least carbon-neutral sources. Otherwise
it's just ****ing in the wind.

Hydrogen can ALREADY be manufactured from renewable sources!

Yes, yes, of course it can. Where can I buy a cylinder of this mythical
moonbeam hydrogen then?

How should I know? Hydrogen is hydrogen!

AFAIK it's not in commercial production yet, BICBW.

Old January 12th 04, 01:09 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
W K W K is offline

"Steve Firth" wrote in message

liefstyles. You want to move round in a city? Fine, use public
transport, don't expect to own a car.

!