Old October 10th 03, 04:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Visiting All Tube Stations

I've been fascinated with the Underground since my first visit to
London in November 2001.

I want to visit every single station. How long do you think it would
take? I want to get at least one exterior picture, and one interior.
I figure I could do maybe 15 stations an hour if I was really pushing
it; but 10 is probably more practical.

Anyone here have any experience with this? Where would you start?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

J.O.

Old October 10th 03, 04:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jonathan Osborne" wrote in message
om...

I want to visit every single station.
How long do you think it would take?

I did this some years ago. I think it took me about 8-10 days, but I didn't
make early starts, and about half the days were Sundays, when services are
less frequent.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

On frequent lines, do the stations sequentially.
On infrequent lines, do the stations in the order 1 3 2 5 4 7 6 9 8...
although you'll waste a bit of time doing some sections of line three times
in a row, you'll have much less time to wait for trains.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old October 10th 03, 05:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin May" wrote in message

I seem to remember that the quickest attempt at going round all of the
stations took the best part of a day, and that was without getting off
the train and photographing the inside and outside of every station. So
I'd reckon it'd take you a few days to do it.

It looks like he would have to start at one end and get off at each stop,
leave the station, and then re-enter having taken his photograph. Are there
enough trains in a day to do this on the Central line, for example?
--
Terry Harper
http://www.terry.harper.btinternet.co.uk/

Old October 10th 03, 05:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jonathan Osborne" wrote in message
om...
I've been fascinated with the Underground since my first visit to
London in November 2001.

I want to visit every single station. How long do you think it would
take? I want to get at least one exterior picture, and one interior.
I figure I could do maybe 15 stations an hour if I was really pushing
it; but 10 is probably more practical.

Even 10 per hour sounds optimistic. Particularly in central London it would
take 2 minutes just to get up the escalators and out of the station, a minute
to take a photo, another 2 minutes to get back to the platforms and then
another few minutes waiting for the next train.

Then, when you reach the end of the line, you will have to turn around and
double back past stations you have already photographed which will waste more
time.

So I think it will take a lot longer than you expect.

Peter Smyth

Old October 10th 03, 05:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jonathan Osborne wrote:

"Peter Smyth" wrote in message

[...]

You're right; I'd think three days minimum, and that's doing nothing but the
tube and stopping to get lunch/dinner. At least I'd get my money's worth of
an all-day ticket.

J.O.

Nonsense! What about National Rail, DLR, Tramlink stations

Old October 11th 03, 12:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jonathan Osborne" wrote in message
om...
I've been fascinated with the Underground since my first visit to
London in November 2001.

I want to visit every single station. How long do you think it would
take? I want to get at least one exterior picture, and one interior.
I figure I could do maybe 15 stations an hour if I was really pushing
it; but 10 is probably more practical.

Anyone here have any experience with this? Where would you start?

I started at Amersham and it took me 273 days.
Alan

Old October 11th 03, 10:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Alan O'Brien" wrote in message
"Jonathan Osborne" wrote in message
om...

I want to visit every single station. How long do
you think it would take? I want to get at least one
exterior picture, and one interior.

I started at Amersham and it took me 273 days.

You should have used a camera, instead of a sackful of etch-a-sketches.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old October 11th 03, 11:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin May" wrote in message

I seem to remember that the quickest attempt at going round all of the
stations took the best part of a day, and that was without getting off
the train and photographing the inside and outside of every station. So
I'd reckon it'd take you a few days to do it.

One of the various attempts to do all stations in one day (obiously without
getting out and taking photos etc) was described on a website, I read it
linked from this NG about a year ago. Intuitive Google searching doesn't
seem to bring it up :-(

Anyone know the page I'm talking about? What about the
'all-stations-in-one-day' idea, any views on its feasibility? Have an odd
friend who likes setting strange records.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom Cordiner
Selwyn College