London Banter

-   -   Here We Go Again - New Tube Strike Dates Revealed (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/11980-here-we-go-again-new.html)

Paul May 4th 11 10:33 AM

Here We Go Again - New Tube Strike Dates Revealed

Well I tohugh Comrade Crow had been quiet for some time.

Is it not the case that most drivers belong to ASLEF? If this is the
case, how much impact will the strike have, if it goes ahead at all.

[email protected] May 4th 11 10:49 AM

Here We Go Again - New Tube Strike Dates Revealed

On Wed, 4 May 2011 03:33:34 -0700 (PDT)
Paul wrote:

Well I tohugh Comrade Crow had been quiet for some time.

Other than a chance to stomp their feet and have a little tantrum shouting
"its not fair" like a 5 year old, what exactly is that buffoon expecting to
achieve other than dragging tube drivers reputation even lower than the
sub basement level its already at? The chances of LU re-hiring these idiots is
zero.

B2003

Paul May 4th 11 11:05 AM

Paul wrote:

Well I tohugh Comrade Crow had been quiet for some time.

Other than a chance to stomp their feet and have a little tantrum shouting
"its not fair" like a 5 year old, what exactly is that buffoon expecting to
achieve other than dragging tube drivers reputation even lower than the
sub basement level its already at? The chances of LU re-hiring these idiots is
zero.

B2003

Well it is less than 500 days until the Olympics, so I suppose he has
to keep practising. I would have thought that he would have held a
strike last Friday.

[email protected] May 4th 11 11:27 AM

Here We Go Again - New Tube Strike Dates Revealed

On Wed, 4 May 2011 04:05:00 -0700 (PDT)
Paul wrote:
Well it is less than 500 days until the Olympics, so I suppose he has
to keep practising. I would have thought that he would have held a
strike last Friday.

Not much point striking on a bank holiday - most of them would have had
the day off anyway so they've nothing to gain from it.

B2003

Jim[_3_] May 4th 11 12:46 PM

Here We Go Again - New Tube Strike Dates Revealed

In article , d
says...

Paul wrote:

Well I tohugh Comrade Crow had been quiet for some time.

Other than a chance to stomp their feet and have a little tantrum shouting
"its not fair" like a 5 year old, what exactly is that buffoon expecting to
achieve other than dragging tube drivers reputation even lower than the
sub basement level its already at? The chances of LU re-hiring these idiots is
zero.

B2003

Headline in the Evening Standard says "Sacked Tube drivers paid £45,000
a year to sit at home"

Roland Perry May 4th 11 01:48 PM

Here We Go Again - New Tube Strike Dates Revealed

In message
, at
03:33:34 on Wed, 4 May 2011, Paul remarked:

Well I tohugh Comrade Crow had been quiet for some time.

Is it not the case that most drivers belong to ASLEF? If this is the
case, how much impact will the strike have, if it goes ahead at all.

I was going to get the train to London one of the strike days (then
across and out the other side). This strike means I'll definitely drive,
and mainline ToCs who aren't a party to the dispute will be losing more
of my revenue than TfL.

George May 4th 11 02:11 PM

On 4 May, 14:48, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
03:33:34 on Wed, 4 May 2011, Paul remarked:

Well I tohugh Comrade Crow had been quiet for some time.

Is it not the case that most drivers belong to ASLEF? If this is the
case, how much impact will the strike have, if it goes ahead at all.

I was going to get the train to London one of the strike days (then
across and out the other side). This strike means I'll definitely drive,
and mainline ToCs who aren't a party to the dispute will be losing more
of my revenue than TfL.

Does anybody know what these two drivers have been sacked for? Without
knowing the full story it is difficult to pass judgement.

Roland Perry May 4th 11 02:38 PM

Here We Go Again - New Tube Strike Dates Revealed

In message
, at
07:11:27 on Wed, 4 May 2011, George
remarked:
Does anybody know what these two drivers have been sacked for? Without
knowing the full story it is difficult to pass judgement.

The BBC story linked to earlier says:

Mr Thomas was dismissed over "abusive behaviour" towards his
colleagues and Mr Lynch was sacked because he "over-rode his
train's safety systems and drove the train with complete
disregard for established procedures".

Paul May 4th 11 02:44 PM

On May 4, 3:11*pm, George wrote:
On 4 May, 14:48, Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
03:33:34 on Wed, 4 May 2011, Paul remarked:

Well I tohugh Comrade Crow had been quiet for some time.

Is it not the case that most drivers belong to ASLEF? If this is the
case, how much impact will the strike have, if it goes ahead at all.

I was going to get the train to London one of the strike days (then
across and out the other side). This strike means I'll definitely drive,
and mainline ToCs who aren't a party to the dispute will be losing more
of my revenue than TfL.

Does anybody know what these two drivers have been sacked for? Without
knowing the full story it is difficult to pass judgement.- Hide quoted text -

According to the article:-

The RMT said almost two-thirds of its members voted in favour of
industrial action over claims Eamon Lynch and Arwyn Thomas were sacked
because of their trade union activities.

Both men have taken a case of unfair dismissal to an employment
tribunal.

LU said it was "absolute nonsense" to suggest the men were dismissed
because of their union activities.

It added that Mr Thomas was dismissed over "abusive behaviour" towards
his colleagues and Mr Lynch was sacked because he "over-rode his
train's safety systems and drove the train with complete disregard for
established procedures".

LU managing director Mike Brown said: "Just 29% of the 1,300 drivers
balloted voted for this strike.

If only 29% of the drivers ballotted voted for the strike, then that
means that only about 750 (or about 58%) of those ballotted actually
bothered to vote in the first place.

Sounds as though the strike has not got universal support anyway.
Plus if most drivers belong to ASLEF and work normally, then the
strike won't have that much impact. Who would want or could afford to
lose several days pay over this issue?

The other thing to point out is that these cases are going to an
Industrial Tribunal. Surely Comrade Crow would be better waiting for
the outcome of the Tribunal before deciding his next move? Or has he
been advised that they haven't got a cat in hells chance of winning
and is getting desperate?

Mizter T May 4th 11 03:41 PM

Here We Go Again - New Tube Strike Dates Revealed

"Paul" wrote:

Well I [thought] Comrade Crow had been quiet for some time.

Is it not the case that most drivers belong to ASLEF? If this is the
case, how much impact will the strike have, if it goes ahead at all.

Strikorama:

16 to 17 May: 2101 BST - 1159 BST
18 to 19 May: 1200 BST - 1159 BST
20 May: 1200 BST - 2100 BST

13 to 14 June: 2101 BST - 1159 BST
15 to 16 June: 1200 BST - 1159 BST
17 June: 1200 BST - 2100 BST

(best viewed as fixed width text - well, perhaps best not viewed at all!)

So, two rounds of strikes, each starting on a Monday, each 'round' having an
impact across five consecutive (working) days, with the striking hours
pattern being the same for both 'rounds'.

From a 'regular-hours' commuter's point of view the Monday strike should
have the least impact, though I'm not sure when services might start winding
down.

Of course, if the strikes go ahead then LU would do their best to offer what
services they can - past experience suggests that this can be rather
variable (essentially dependent on how many staff turn up, and so it can
change as shifts change).

Seems like a bit of a declaration of war on the RMT's part, it must be said.

Is that clattering and groaning the sound of umpteen bicycles being
retrieved from sheds and basements?

Paul Terry[_2_] May 4th 11 04:01 PM

Here We Go Again - New Tube Strike Dates Revealed

In message
,
Paul writes

The other thing to point out is that these cases are going to an
Industrial Tribunal. Surely Comrade Crow would be better waiting for
the outcome of the Tribunal before deciding his next move? Or has he
been advised that they haven't got a cat in hells chance of winning
and is getting desperate?

The Employment Tribunal has already given the two employees concerned
"interim relief", which is why they are still on full salary. This is
normally only given where the tribunal chairman thinks that their case
is likely to be successful when it comes to the full hearing.

I haven't followed the full details, but I'm sure that there are faults
on both sides. The root cause seems to be the dreadful industrial
relations that have been such a feature of London Underground over the
years.
--
Paul Terry

Mizter T May 6th 11 03:27 PM

Here We Go Again - New Tube Strike Dates Revealed

"Paul Terry" wrote:

In message
, Paul
writes

The other thing to point out is that these cases are going to an
Industrial Tribunal. Surely Comrade Crow would be better waiting for
the outcome of the Tribunal before deciding his next move? Or has he
been advised that they haven't got a cat in hells chance of winning
and is getting desperate?

The Employment Tribunal has already given the two employees concerned
"interim relief", which is why they are still on full salary. This is
normally only given where the tribunal chairman thinks that their case is
likely to be successful when it comes to the full hearing.

Prophetic words, in one of the two cases at least - one of the drivers has
won their case at the employment tribunal (it looks like the verdict was
given earlier today)...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/ma...e-talks-driver

Excerpt:
---quote---
Tube union chiefs have demanded a meeting with London Underground in an
effort to avert strike action after one of two drivers at the centre of an
employment row won his claim of unfair dismissal.

Eamonn Lynch, a Bakerloo line driver sacked for breaking safety rules, took
his case to an employment tribunal, claiming his dismissal was based on his
trade union activities.

London Underground said on Friday that a meeting with the Rail Maritime and
Transport (RMT) union could not be held before the tribunal released its
ruling on whether Lynch should be reinstated, expected on 3 June.
[...continues...]
---/quote---

The result in the second case against Arwyn Thomas "is expected later this
month".

I haven't followed the full details, but I'm sure that there are faults on
both sides. The root cause seems to be the dreadful industrial relations
that have been such a feature of London Underground over the years.

I'm sure the somewhat toxic nature of industrial relations serves to put
good people off from working on the Underground to some extent.

zen83237 May 6th 11 10:16 PM

Here We Go Again - New Tube Strike Dates Revealed

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message
, at
07:11:27 on Wed, 4 May 2011, George
remarked:
Does anybody know what these two drivers have been sacked for? Without
knowing the full story it is difficult to pass judgement.

The BBC story linked to earlier says:

Mr Thomas was dismissed over "abusive behaviour" towards his
colleagues and Mr Lynch was sacked because he "over-rode his
train's safety systems and drove the train with complete
disregard for established procedures".

Shouldn't disregard for safety systems be a criminal matter. If it isn't
then it should be.
Kevin

Paul May 7th 11 05:23 AM

On May 6, 11:16*pm, "Zen83237" wrote:
"Roland Perry" wrote in message

In message
, at
07:11:27 on Wed, 4 May 2011, George
remarked:
Does anybody know what these two drivers have been sacked for? Without
knowing the full story it is difficult to pass judgement.

The BBC story linked to earlier says:

* * * *Mr Thomas was dismissed over "abusive behaviour" towards his
* * * *colleagues and Mr Lynch was sacked because he "over-rode his
* * * *train's safety systems and drove the train with complete
* * * *disregard for established procedures".

Shouldn't disregard for safety systems be a criminal matter. If it isn't
then it should be.
Kevin

Now we're getting down to the real reasons for the strike. if the
tribunal ruling isn't expected until 3rd June, the strikes scheduled
for May are an attempt to browbeat LUL into to taking him back.

Sometimes in Industrial Tribunal cases the ruling is that the company
didn't follow the correct procedure in processing the dismissal, but
that the underlying reasons for the dismissal were fair. They often
say that Mr X was Y% to blame for his own dismissal, and it sounds
like the meeting on 3rd June will determine the value of Y.

Roland Perry May 7th 11 07:05 AM

Here We Go Again - New Tube Strike Dates Revealed

In message , at 23:16:39 on
Fri, 6 May 2011, Zen83237 remarked:
Does anybody know what these two drivers have been sacked for? Without
knowing the full story it is difficult to pass judgement.

The BBC story linked to earlier says:

Mr Thomas was dismissed over "abusive behaviour" towards his
colleagues and Mr Lynch was sacked because he "over-rode his
train's safety systems and drove the train with complete
disregard for established procedures".

Shouldn't disregard for safety systems be a criminal matter. If it isn't
then it should be.

"Transport for London said it would study the outcome of the employment
tribunal judgment and consider its next steps."

Mizter T May 7th 11 08:04 AM

Here We Go Again - New Tube Strike Dates Revealed

On May 7, 6:23*am, Paul wrote:
[snip]
Now we're getting down to the real reasons for the strike. if the
tribunal ruling isn't expected until 3rd June, the strikes scheduled
for May are an attempt to browbeat LUL into to taking him back.

Sometimes in Industrial Tribunal cases the ruling is that the company
didn't follow the correct procedure in processing the dismissal, but
that the underlying reasons for the dismissal were fair. They often
say that Mr X was Y% to blame for his own dismissal, and it sounds
like the meeting on 3rd June will determine the value of Y.

See my post of May 6 at 16:27 on this thread [1] - the employment
tribunal ruled on one of the two cases yesterday (i.e. rather earlier
than that 3 June date), and found in favour of the sacked driver.

-----
[1] http://groups.google.com/group/uk.tr...65ca03932eef2d

Roland Perry May 7th 11 08:45 AM

Here We Go Again - New Tube Strike Dates Revealed

In message
, at
01:04:47 on Sat, 7 May 2011, Mizter T remarked:
Sometimes in Industrial Tribunal cases the ruling is that the company
didn't follow the correct procedure in processing the dismissal, but
that the underlying reasons for the dismissal were fair. They often
say that Mr X was Y% to blame for his own dismissal, and it sounds
like the meeting on 3rd June will determine the value of Y.

See my post of May 6 at 16:27 on this thread [1] - the employment
tribunal ruled on one of the two cases yesterday (i.e. rather earlier
than that 3 June date), and found in favour of the sacked driver.

The Guardian says:

"Eamonn Lynch, a Bakerloo line driver sacked for breaking safety
rules, took his case to an employment tribunal, claiming his
dismissal was based on his trade union activities."

The paper goes on to report the employers saying:

"Whilst the tribunal has made a finding of unfair dismissal, it
has also found that on 9 August 2010 Mr Lynch breached an
established and significant safety rule and was in part culpable
or blameworthy for his actions."

[email protected] May 7th 11 09:14 AM

Here We Go Again - New Tube Strike Dates Revealed

The fill tribunal report is available on the RMT website:
http://www.rmtlondoncalling.org.uk/node/2182

important - click on the attachment at the bottom of the web page to get
the full report. What's listed on the web page is what the RMT have
cherry-picked for their own benefit from the main report.

Details of the incident that started the discipline procedures off is are
given on page 9 paragraph 34 "Incident on 9th August 2010"

Basically, the driver deliberately ran the train with a safety device (the
tripcock) cut out without a second person in the cab. The tripcock is
part of the safety system that stops the train if it goes past a red
signal. A driver must ALWAYS have a second person in the cab if the
Tripcock is defective. If the defect occurs between stations, then (as
there are no Guards these days) the train is driven to the next station at
extreme caution speed where a second person then gets in the cab. A
second person MUST be in the cab, even if it means the train sits in the
platform until somebody is sent to the station. The driver cannot be told
by anybody, including the Controller, to do anything different and should
ignore any instructions to do so (if given). All drivers know this.

What the driver did was a serious breach of rules, although I can't say
whether the driver should be dismissed for that or not. The RMT, as
always, have conveniently played down this aspect of the case.

However, it would appear that LU did themselves no favours in the way that
they conducted their disciplinary procedures and acted unfairly in what
they did and it would seem that the driver was dismissed by LU for the
wrong reasons (if he should have been dismissed at all).

Roger

Paul May 10th 11 11:43 AM

On May 4, 4:41*pm, "Mizter T" wrote:
"Paul" wrote:

Well I [thought] Comrade Crow had been quiet for some time.

Is it not the case that most drivers belong to ASLEF? If this is the
case, how much impact will the strike have, if it goes ahead at all.

Strikorama:

*16 to 17 May: 2101 BST - 1159 BST
*18 to 19 May: 1200 BST - 1159 BST
* * * *20 May: 1200 BST - 2100 BST

13 to 14 June: 2101 BST - 1159 BST
15 to 16 June: 1200 BST - 1159 BST
* * * 17 June: 1200 BST - 2100 BST

(best viewed as fixed width text - well, perhaps best not viewed at all!)

So, two rounds of strikes, each starting on a Monday, each 'round' having an
impact across five consecutive (working) days, with the striking hours
pattern being the same for both 'rounds'.

From a 'regular-hours' commuter's point of view the Monday strike should
have the least impact, though I'm not sure when services might start winding
down.

Of course, if the strikes go ahead then LU would do their best to offer what
services they can - past experience suggests that this can be rather
variable (essentially dependent on how many staff turn up, and so it can
change as shifts change).

Seems like a bit of a declaration of war on the RMT's part, it must be said.

Is that clattering and groaning the sound of umpteen bicycles being
retrieved from sheds and basements?

According to the BBC, they have been suspended

On a related topic, it is interesting to see that the unions have
agreed an Olympic related pay deal with Network Rail

No doubt the RMT will try and agree a similiar deal with LUL, with the
implicit threat of strikes if no deal is reached.

Steve Gardiner May 10th 11 06:24 PM

I don't think they're striking just to have a day off. And, no, these guys get their bank holidays added to their leave so they can take them when they want.

Steve Gardiner May 10th 11 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Post 119914)
The fill tribunal report is available on the RMT website:
http://www.rmtlondoncalling.org.uk/node/2182
Shouldn't disregard for safety systems be a criminal matter. If it
isn't then it should be.
Kevin

[/i][/color]

Depends what they've done. Passing through a red light has little impact because the train gets stopped anyway.

I don't know what this guy did, but there are breaches which will have very minor impacts, if any.

Roland Perry May 11th 11 07:26 AM

Here We Go Again - New Tube Strike Dates Revealed

In message , at 19:27:14 on
Tue, 10 May 2011, Steve Gardiner remarked:

Depends what they've done. Passing through a red light has little impact
because the train gets stopped anyway.

Not if the safety device which does that stopping has been disabled.

I don't know what this guy did, but there are breaches which will have
very minor impacts, if any.

And some may cause big impacts (eg with the train in front).

zen83237 May 11th 11 11:53 AM

Here We Go Again - New Tube Strike Dates Revealed

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 19:27:14 on
Tue, 10 May 2011, Steve Gardiner remarked:

Depends what they've done. Passing through a red light has little impact
because the train gets stopped anyway.

Not if the safety device which does that stopping has been disabled.

I don't know what this guy did, but there are breaches which will have
very minor impacts, if any.

And some may cause big impacts (eg with the train in front).

Compare the RMT's actions with this
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-13360741

Kevin

[email protected] May 11th 11 12:06 PM

Here We Go Again - New Tube Strike Dates Revealed

On Wed, 11 May 2011 12:53:50 +0100
"Zen83237" wrote:
Compare the RMT's actions with this
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-13360741

I hate using cliches but you really couldn't make that one up. What sort of
utter idiots are they hiring for railway management positions?

B2003

Roland Perry May 11th 11 12:17 PM

Here We Go Again - New Tube Strike Dates Revealed

In message , at 12:53:50 on
Wed, 11 May 2011, Zen83237 remarked:
Compare the RMT's actions with this
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-13360741

Are you alluding to the apparent lack of union support for this chap?

What you can't tell from the story is how much of a danger the trolley
was to trains, and what other, safer, action could have been taken,
which would not have infringed the rules.

[email protected] May 11th 11 12:51 PM

Here We Go Again - New Tube Strike Dates Revealed

On Wed, 11 May 2011 13:17:36 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:53:50 on
Wed, 11 May 2011, Zen83237 remarked:
Compare the RMT's actions with this
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-13360741

Are you alluding to the apparent lack of union support for this chap?

What you can't tell from the story is how much of a danger the trolley
was to trains, and what other, safer, action could have been taken,
which would not have infringed the rules.

Whatever the situation, sacking a man for carrying out what he presumably
thought was an action to prevent a possible incident is just vindictive. It
smacks of management using their powers simply because they can.

B2003

Steve Gardiner May 11th 11 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roland Perry (Post 120042)
Not if the safety device which does that stopping has been disabled.

But this is impossible as one part of the device sits on the track and the other part of the device is on the underside of the train - and there are many of them so even if one is disabled the others still work. The driver does not have access to this system.

Yes there are big potential risks on the railway, but this may not have been one of them. It's unlikely that the driver can do anything that will lead to an actual collision as far as I know. But again - I do not know the facts around this particular case, so, unlie others, will not jump to any conclusions.

Roland Perry May 11th 11 01:48 PM

Here We Go Again - New Tube Strike Dates Revealed

In message , at 12:51:20 on Wed, 11 May
2011, d remarked:
What you can't tell from the story is how much of a danger the trolley
was to trains, and what other, safer, action could have been taken,
which would not have infringed the rules.

Whatever the situation, sacking a man for carrying out what he presumably
thought was an action to prevent a possible incident is just vindictive. It
smacks of management using their powers simply because they can.

Don't be silly. If someone breaks the rules like this, you can't let
them off because they thought breaking the rule was OK. That's anarchy,
especially in a safety-critical industry like railways.

I note you've ignored the possibility of other ways to prevent an
accident.

[email protected] May 11th 11 01:55 PM

Here We Go Again - New Tube Strike Dates Revealed

On Wed, 11 May 2011 14:48:31 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
Whatever the situation, sacking a man for carrying out what he presumably
thought was an action to prevent a possible incident is just vindictive. It
smacks of management using their powers simply because they can.

Don't be silly. If someone breaks the rules like this, you can't let
them off because they thought breaking the rule was OK. That's anarchy,
especially in a safety-critical industry like railways.

And what if a train had come and derailed while he was finding other
ways to solve the problem? Sometimes rules need to be broken if they get
in the way.

Perhaps you think those idiot plods not diving into a pond the other year to
save someone because it was against the rules was a good idea given that
the victim drowned?

B2003

[email protected] May 11th 11 02:33 PM

Here We Go Again - New Tube Strike Dates Revealed

On Wed, 11 May 2011 15:20:17 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
People like you are everything thats wrong with britain today.

Absolutely. If kids want to work as chimney sweeps rather than go to
school, who are we to stop them?

Straw man. Or should that be child?

Any rule that states that no one no matter what shall do anything on the
railway without prior permission even if doing so could prevent a derailment
is a rule that needs to be re-thought. Do you think 50 years ago a station
master would have waited for health and safety clearance before he removed
an obstruction from the line?

B2003

Paul Scott[_3_] May 11th 11 02:51 PM

Roland Perry wrote:
People like you are everything thats wrong with britain today.

Absolutely. If kids want to work as chimney sweeps rather than go to
school, who are we to stop them?

Straw man. Or should that be child?

Any rule that states that no one no matter what shall do anything on the
railway without prior permission even if doing so could prevent a
derailment
is a rule that needs to be re-thought. Do you think 50 years ago a station
master would have waited for health and safety clearance before he removed
an obstruction from the line?

Perhaps if this chap really was a 'station master' he would have been
allowed that discretion. But he won't have been a station master, whatever
the reports actually say.

Paul

Nick Leverton May 11th 11 03:04 PM

Roland Perry wrote:
Whatever the situation, sacking a man for carrying out what he presumably
thought was an action to prevent a possible incident is just vindictive. It
smacks of management using their powers simply because they can.

Don't be silly. If someone breaks the rules like this, you can't let
them off because they thought breaking the rule was OK. That's anarchy,
especially in a safety-critical industry like railways.

And what if a train had come and derailed while he was finding other
ways to solve the problem? Sometimes rules need to be broken if they get
in the way.

Wellingborough, 1898. A porter's trolley fell off the platform onto the
track. Instead of running to the signalbox to stop trains, two railway
employees tried to shift it. They failed, the express was derailed,
and five people and two staff were killed.

Sometimes, Boltar, there are reasons for rules and procedures ...

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)

Roland Perry May 11th 11 03:32 PM

Here We Go Again - New Tube Strike Dates Revealed

In message , at 14:33:45 on Wed, 11 May
2011, d remarked:

Any rule that states that no one no matter what shall do anything on the
railway without prior permission even if doing so could prevent a derailment
is a rule that needs to be re-thought.

It's not permission that's required, but obedience to safety rules which
have been put in place in an attempt to reduce risk. Few situations have
only one risk.

Steve Gardiner May 11th 11 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Leverton (Post 120067)
In article , d wrote:
[...]

Walking on the track without prior arrangement is really not acceptable. the guy should really have known better. At the very least he needs to go through his training again.

If the train was in imminent danger of hitting the trolley - and I can't see a derailament occuring in this instance especially as trains usually go pretty slow through stations - then the guy really was putting his own life at risk.

Once you allow one guy to do this then you know there'll be others and quickly lose control.

He should have phoned up and reported the trolley - with instant communications these days, and radios in trains the driver could easily have been alerted, the train diverted or stopped and the power shut off to allow for the trolley to be removed safely.

Roland Perry May 11th 11 03:48 PM

Here We Go Again - New Tube Strike Dates Revealed

In message , at 14:20:24 on
Wed, 11 May 2011, Steve Gardiner remarked:
Not if the safety device which does that stopping has been disabled.

But this is impossible as one part of the device sits on the track and
the other part of the device is on the underside of the train - and
there are many of them so even if one is disabled the others still work.
The driver does not have access to this system.

Yes there are big potential risks on the railway, but this may not have
been one of them. It's unlikely that the driver can do anything that
will lead to an actual collision as far as I know. But again - I do not
know the facts around this particular case, so, unlie others, will not
jump to any conclusions.

You must have missed this posting a couple of days ago:

"Basically, the driver deliberately ran the train with a safety
device (the tripcock) cut out without a second person in the
cab. The tripcock is part of the safety system that stops the
train if it goes past a red signal. A driver must ALWAYS have a
second person in the cab if the Tripcock is defective."

Full report (see para 37 onwards):

http://www.rmtlondoncalling.org.uk/f...9270%20(1).pdf

Arthur Figgis May 11th 11 05:37 PM

Roland wrote:
People like you are everything thats wrong with britain today.

Absolutely. If kids want to work as chimney sweeps rather than go to
school, who are we to stop them?

Straw man. Or should that be child?

Any rule that states that no one no matter what shall do anything on the
railway without prior permission even if doing so could prevent a derailment
is a rule that needs to be re-thought. Do you think 50 years ago a station
master would have waited for health and safety clearance before he removed
an obstruction from the line?

How much paperwork is involved in

a) disposing of a bent trolley and maybe jacking a train back onto the
track if needed.

b) scraping up squished/fried people who think the rules can be ignored
just this once, helping the driver and cleaners deal with what happened,
keeping passengers clear of the mess, plus doing it all next time
because a precedent has been set?

When people complain about railway board members getting bonuses in
years when there are accidents, could the board just say "well, the
victims thought it seems a good idea, so it's Not Our Problem"?

(has no-one spotted the report which uses a photo of a 455 yet?)

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Paul Terry[_2_] May 11th 11 06:20 PM

Here We Go Again - New Tube Strike Dates Revealed

In message , Roland Perry
writes

You must have missed this posting a couple of days ago:

"Basically, the driver deliberately ran the train with a safety
device (the tripcock) cut out without a second person in the
cab. The tripcock is part of the safety system that stops the
train if it goes past a red signal. A driver must ALWAYS have a
second person in the cab if the Tripcock is defective."

Full report (see para 37 onwards):

Nevertheless, the tribunal (and now TfL, by reinstating the employee)
seem to have decided that this was not after all a sackable offence,
especially given the precedent that another driver had done the same but
with a train in public service, and he merely received a warning.
--
Paul Terry

Neil Williams May 11th 11 06:28 PM

Here We Go Again - New Tube Strike Dates Revealed

On Wed, 11 May 2011 18:37:51 +0100, Arthur Figgis
wrote:
b) scraping up squished/fried people who think the rules can be

ignored
just this once, helping the driver and cleaners deal with what

happened,
keeping passengers clear of the mess, plus doing it all next time
because a precedent has been set?

How likely do you think that *actually* would be? Particularly to
anyone familiar with the dangers of the railway?

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK

Paul Terry[_2_] May 11th 11 06:41 PM

Here We Go Again - New Tube Strike Dates Revealed

In message , Roland Perry
writes

What you can't tell from the story is how much of a danger the trolley
was to trains, and what other, safer, action could have been taken,
which would not have infringed the rules.

It's difficult to know what safer action could have been taken, given
that he first telephoned to report the incident and ask for the 3rd-rail
power to be turned off before he removed the trolley.

I suppose SWT expected all services to be delayed for hours (not an
unusual occurrence for their customers) until their official
trolley-remover made his way to the site to complete the necessary
paperwork.

Knowing Lymington quite well, and the enormous respect with which this
guy is held locally, I fully expect SWT to be smacked long and hard when
the case comes before the forthcoming employment tribunal hearing.
--
Paul Terry

Arthur Figgis May 11th 11 07:41 PM

wrote:
b) scraping up squished/fried people who think the rules can be

ignored
just this once, helping the driver and cleaners deal with what

happened,
keeping passengers clear of the mess, plus doing it all next time
because a precedent has been set?

How likely do you think that *actually* would be? Particularly to anyone
familiar with the dangers of the railway?

I've no way of calculating, but it certainly isn't something I would
discount simply because it has not been considered in a mass media
report of an incident

Friends who do PW stuff have told me some horror stories about dedicated
look-outs screwing up (to the extent they walked off the job), so who
knows how non-specialists would get on?

And while an individual only has to be lucky the once, the company has
to be lucky every time.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK