Old June 15th 11, 10:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default DLR Canning Town Stratford International - still not opened ...

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 11:10:28 +0100
"Robin" wrote:
Or of course there are the special Games Lanes for road traffic which
will let VIPs play at being* the Soviet Politburo - and which will
imprison us locals for the best part of 3 months.

*in the case of the IOC make that "continue to behave like"

It'll be interesting to see if TfL manage to finish the interminable
roadworks on the 406 before 2012. So far its taken them 9 months
to strip away a grass verge and lay 300 metres of tarmac near Arnos Grove.
The workman must be british or irish , I can't imagine eastern europeans
taking that long to do so little. Apparently the works at Henleys Corner
will be finished in spring 2012. Yeah , we'll see!

B2003

Old June 15th 11, 10:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article
,
bob wrote:

To my mind, the most useful feature of this new line will be to allow
me to get from north of London to City Airport (eg Cambridge - King's
Cross - St Pancras - Stratford Intl - Canning Town - LCY).

Another option is Finsbury Park ‹ Highbury ‹ Shadwell ‹ LCY.

E.
Old June 15th 11, 12:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

bob wrote:

(oddly I've had trouble buying a ticket from
Cambridge to Stratford International from Cambridge station, and
tickets from Cambridge to Stratford, routed any permitted, won't open
the gates at St Pancras (Kent), although the staff are happy enough to
let me through).

IIUC Stratford International for domestic services is a pick-up to
Kent/set-down to London only station. Certainly the buses to & from
Stratford regional are timed only to connect that way and I'd presume the
gates are working on the same principle (although the staff may either be
more relaxed about this or simply not know).

Old June 15th 11, 12:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Recliner wrote:

The Olympic site is best accessed from Stratford Regional, which already
has connections from the City (on the Central and mainline), the West End
(via the Jubilee) and from Canary Wharf (via the existing DLR). If someone
wants to get there from Tower Hill directly, then the District to West Ham
is best.

Has any thought been given to a Fenchurch Street to Stratford special
service? There's still a connection across Bow isn't there?

Old June 15th 11, 12:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

CJB wrote:

Interesting map - thank you. It seems that to get to/from the City of
London (Bank or Tower Hill) and Stratford International (and
presumably the Olympic Site) everyone will have to change at Canning
Town. This is going to cause chaos at peak flows with tourists and
commuters milling around changing trains and presumably changing
platforms.

Why on earth didn't they put a chord in for trains to go direct from
say Bank to Stratord International etc.?

Surely that journey is better done by Central line to Stratford then pick up
the DLR for the final stretch?

Old June 15th 11, 12:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Bob Bob is offline

On Jun 15, 12:41*pm, eastender wrote:
In article
,

*bob wrote:
To my mind, the most useful feature of this new line will be to allow
me to get from north of London to City Airport (eg Cambridge - King's
Cross - St Pancras - Stratford Intl - Canning Town - LCY).

Another option is Finsbury Park Highbury Shadwell LCY.

In the general case of approaching from the north, that's certainly an
option, in the particular case of Cambridge, the service to Finsbury
Park isn't great (there are twice hourly non-stop trains to the Cross
that don't call at FP, one semi that calls at FP in a useful time, and
one stopper that's no good to man nor beast). There is also the very
occasional Cambridge to Stratford train on the Liverpool Street route,
but I've never figured whether it's actually useful for this
particular journey. The last couple of times I made the journey it
wasn't running for various reasons.

Robin
Old June 15th 11, 12:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote in message

Recliner wrote:

The Olympic site is best accessed from Stratford Regional, which
already has connections from the City (on the Central and mainline),
the West End (via the Jubilee) and from Canary Wharf (via the
existing DLR). If someone wants to get there from Tower Hill
directly, then the District to West Ham is best.

Has any thought been given to a Fenchurch Street to Stratford special
service? There's still a connection across Bow isn't there?

I would have thought any Olympic-goers from Fenchurch St would just be
expected to use the West Ham gateway station.

Old June 15th 11, 01:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote

IIUC Stratford International for domestic services is a pick-up to
Kent/set-down to London only station.

Not the case. It is a normal stop, which will be much more useful when the
DLR gets there.

Peter

Old June 15th 11, 01:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article ,
bob wrote:
There is also the very
occasional Cambridge to Stratford train on the Liverpool Street route,
but I've never figured whether it's actually useful for this
particular journey.

Probably not much in it time-wise, but loads and loads easier if you have
a heavy case.

--
Mike Bristow

Old June 15th 11, 02:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

*bob wrote:
[...]

Yup - whenever I've tried to change at Tottenham Hale between
Cambridge and Stratford I've ended up having to go via Liverpool St.
Well, I think it worked once.
Tim