Old June 17th 11, 08:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default DLR Canning Town Stratford International - still not opened ...

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 21:52:30 +0100
Dr J R Stockton wrote:
In uk.transport.london message , Wed, 15
Jun 2011 10:39:30, d posted:

Apparently the works at Henleys Corner
will be finished in spring 2012.

No such place, at least in the London area. See Wikipedia or Google.

What are you , some kind of new breed of idiot?

B2003

Old June 17th 11, 08:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 03:24:00 +0100
Charles Ellson wrote:
There will be new signal-controlled pedestrian- and cyclist-crossing
facilities as well as a new junction design to improve traffic flow."
[http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/proj...es/11571.aspx]

If they really wanted to improve traffic flow they'd have put either
the A406 or the A1 on a flyover or under. They did it all along the eastern
stretch of the 406 , I can't see why they can't do the same on the
western stretch.

B2003

Old June 17th 11, 08:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Dr J R Stockton wrote:

In uk.transport.london message , Wed, 15
Jun 2011 10:39:30, d posted:

Apparently the works at Henleys Corner
will be finished in spring 2012.

No such place, at least in the London area. See Wikipedia or Google.

Oh there is. I lost an hour in a queue there the other day.

It's just not spelt that way. People have a habit of getting the "e"
before the "y" mixed up in all sorts of words that end with a y. I
should know.

--
..sig down for maintenance
Old June 17th 11, 10:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Charles Ellson wrote:
"Transport for London
Henlys Corner

We are carrying out major improvements to the busy Henlys Corner
junction, at the intersection of the A406 North Circular Road and A598
Finchley Road/Regents Park Road.

The scheme will improve crossing facilities for pedestrians and
cyclists and ease traffic congestion.

There will be new signal-controlled pedestrian- and cyclist-crossing
facilities as well as a new junction design to improve traffic flow."
[http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/proj...es/11571.aspx]

A huge opportunity - missed.

What is desperately needed at this junction, where three extremely
busy roads (A1, A406 North Circular Road, A598 Finchley Road) cross,
is grade separation. There was enough land available, thanks to
compulsory purchase of the Henly's car dealership, and grade separated
schemes for this site have been looked at in detail in the past.

However TfL allowed the (understandably) negative views of a few local
residents to over-ride the need for a scheme that would benefit the
tens of thousands of people who use this junction every working day.

The result is a barely improved junction that adds very little
capacity. It also wastes the land that could have been used for a
properly considered grade separated scheme, either with a flyover for
the A406 or a less intrusive but more expensive underpass.

Old June 17th 11, 06:34 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
[
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/proj...es/11571.aspx]

If they really wanted to improve traffic flow they'd have put either
the A406 or the A1 on a flyover or under. They did it all along the eastern
stretch of the 406 , I can't see why they can't do the same on the
western stretch.

B2003
Absolutely correct. Well said. The central point is of course that TfL did not want to improve the flow of traffic there and does not want to improve it anywhere else either. The scheme at Henly's Corner is a complete waste of time and public money..

Old June 17th 11, 06:56 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce[_2_] View Post
Charles Ellson wrote:
[...]

The original scheme devised by The Department Of Transport in the good old days before we had TfL inflicted upon us did involve grade separation of the three main flows of traffic.

The A1 was to go underneath in a tunnel, the A406 was to retain its current course and above, as at Brent Cross, there was to be an elevated roundabout into which the A598 would feed directly. It was in preparation for this scheme that Henly's Garage was moved and the land acquired.

I think you underestimate TfL's determination to prevent real improvements from ever taking place. It wasn't that they allowed themselves to be influenced by a few nay-sayers. They actively sought them out in order to have a pretext for their wasteful scheme. This is standard practice by unscrupulous public bodies.

On any subject under the sun there is always a handful of cranks with a perverse opinion. If a public body wants to do something that the vast majority of people oppose, the trick is to seek out the cranks, ne'er-do-wells and utterly selfish people who don't give a damn for the public interest and then claim that these people represent the majority.

Last edited by Robin9 : July 19th 11 at 05:48 PM
Old June 17th 11, 07:05 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizter T View Post
On Jun 16, 5:48*pm, Robin9 wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

So basically they can't win against the inevitability in your mind
that they'll make a mess of it then? Finished late - bloody typical.
Finished early - bloody typical.

What an eccentric question! What makes you think I will complain if they
finish a project early?

Your comments just upthread, that's what!
Your imagination has got the better of you. Nothing in my earlier posts suggests I would be sorry if TfL ever completed a project early.

Incidentally nothing in those posts suggests I think they will make a mess of this project either. I assume the project will eventually be completed in such a way that a reasonable service will be provided. I just doubt that it will be completed quickly or at a sensible cost.
Old June 17th 11, 09:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011, Chris Tolley wrote:

Dr J R Stockton wrote:

In uk.transport.london message , Wed, 15
Jun 2011 10:39:30, d posted:

Apparently the works at Henleys Corner
will be finished in spring 2012.

No such place, at least in the London area. See Wikipedia or Google.

Oh there is. I lost an hour in a queue there the other day.

It's just not spelt that way. People have a habit of getting the "e"
before the "y" mixed up in all sorts of words that end with a y. I
should know.

Serves you right for moving to Hackny.

tom

--
WHO REPLACED THE CLIENT FILES WITH TEQUILA.. ALFONZ??
Old June 18th 11, 09:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
fvw fvw is offline

On Jun 15, 8:49*pm, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:
"Peter Masson" wrote in message

"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote

IIUC Stratford International for domestic services is a pick-up to
Kent/set-down to London only station.

Not the case. It is a normal stop, which will be much more useful when the
DLR gets there.

Peter

And I've travelled Stratford International to St Pancras buyiong ticket from
the man where the bus stop is in Stratford Regional.

I'm thinking about travel from East Anglia (NXEA) to St Pancras Intnl
in August. Is is possible to get off at Stratford Regional and walk
to Stratford Intl to pick up the Javelin for a fast run to St
Pancras?

Is that doable on a standard off-peak saver ticket from NXEA to London
terminals, or is a supplement payable for the Javelin bit?

Thanks.
Old June 18th 11, 09:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"fvw" wrote

I'm thinking about travel from East Anglia (NXEA) to St Pancras Intnl
in August. Is is possible to get off at Stratford Regional and walk
to Stratford Intl to pick up the Javelin for a fast run to St
Pancras?

Is that doable on a standard off-peak saver ticket from NXEA to London
terminals, or is a supplement payable for the Javelin bit?

I don't think a London Terminals ticket can be used - you'll need to get a
ticket to St Pancras International via HS1. At the moment the only way of
making the connection at Stratford is to use the free shuttle bus. AIUI the
DLR will be running by August, when you'll need to make the connection by
DLR. The pedestrian route is still unavailable as it's a building site for
the shopping centre.

Peter