London Banter

-   -   DLR Canning Town Stratford International - still not opened ... (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/12069-dlr-canning-town-stratford-international.html)

CJB June 14th 11 04:42 PM

DLR Canning Town Stratford International - still not opened ...

This is clearly marked on numerous maps as opening in Autumn 2010. Its
Spring 2011 - what's the delay? CJB.

Q June 14th 11 05:18 PM

"CJB" wrote in message
This is clearly marked on numerous maps as opening in Autumn 2010. Its
Spring 2011 - what's the delay? CJB.

The online map says summer 2011 so no idea.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...-route-map.pdf

Hopefully it will be soon as I think Star Lane may come in handy for work.

Robin9 June 15th 11 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJB (Post 120600)
This is clearly marked on numerous maps as opening in Autumn 2010. Its
Spring 2011 - what's the delay? CJB.

It's a Transport For London project, isn't it? Did you expect it to be completed quickly?

CJB June 15th 11 08:57 AM

On Jun 14, 6:18*pm, "Q" ..@.. wrote:
"CJB" wrote in message

This is clearly marked on numerous maps as opening in Autumn 2010. Its
Spring 2011 - what's the delay? CJB.

The online map says summer 2011 so no idea.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...-route-map.pdf

Hopefully it will be soon as I think Star Lane may come in handy for work..

Interesting map - thank you. It seems that to get to/from the City of
London (Bank or Tower Hill) and Stratford International (and
presumably the Olympic Site) everyone will have to change at Canning
Town. This is going to cause chaos at peak flows with tourists and
commuters milling around changing trains and presumably changing
platforms.

Why on earth didn't they put a chord in for trains to go direct from
say Bank to Stratord International etc.?

CJB

Bob June 15th 11 09:35 AM

On Jun 15, 10:57*am, CJB wrote:
On Jun 14, 6:18*pm, "Q" ..@.. wrote:

"CJB" wrote in message

This is clearly marked on numerous maps as opening in Autumn 2010. Its
Spring 2011 - what's the delay? CJB.

The online map says summer 2011 so no idea.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...-route-map.pdf

Hopefully it will be soon as I think Star Lane may come in handy for work.

Interesting map - thank you. It seems that to get to/from the City of
London (Bank or Tower Hill) and Stratford International (and
presumably the Olympic Site) everyone will have to change at Canning
Town. This is going to cause chaos at peak flows with tourists and
commuters milling around changing trains and presumably changing
platforms.

Why on earth didn't they put a chord in for trains to go direct from
say Bank to Stratord International etc.?

How many people have any reason to want to actually travel between
Stratford International and Bank? Almost every journey I can think of
between somewhere in central London and somewhere in Stratford is
better served via HS1 between St Pancras and Stratford International,
as the train is so much faster than the DLR (even if the latter did
have direct trains). If you are thinking of the Olympics, why would
people want to go via Bank at all (would you really expect to go from
the office to the games rather than from home to the games)? How many
people can get from their home to Bank more easily than they can get
from their homes to St Pancras (or direct to Stratford)? In the
longer term, it seems to me the main use for this line is to connect
passengers using HS1 with the wider Docklands region. If there were a
north to west curve at Canning Town, I would suggest that it would be
far more useful to use it for Lewisham - Isle of Dogs - Canning Town -
Stratford Intl services than Bank - Canning Town - Stratford Intl.

To my mind, the most useful feature of this new line will be to allow
me to get from north of London to City Airport (eg Cambridge - King's
Cross - St Pancras - Stratford Intl - Canning Town - LCY). Having
done Cambridge to LCY a few times recently, I'm definitely looking
forward to this option (oddly I've had trouble buying a ticket from
Cambridge to Stratford International from Cambridge station, and
tickets from Cambridge to Stratford, routed any permitted, won't open
the gates at St Pancras (Kent), although the staff are happy enough to
let me through).

Robin

Recliner[_2_] June 15th 11 09:39 AM

"CJB" wrote in message

On Jun 14, 6:18 pm, "Q" ..@.. wrote:
"CJB" wrote in message

This is clearly marked on numerous maps as opening in Autumn 2010.
Its Spring 2011 - what's the delay? CJB.

The online map says summer 2011 so no idea.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...-route-map.pdf

Hopefully it will be soon as I think Star Lane may come in handy for
work.

Interesting map - thank you. It seems that to get to/from the City of
London (Bank or Tower Hill) and Stratford International (and
presumably the Olympic Site) everyone will have to change at Canning
Town. This is going to cause chaos at peak flows with tourists and
commuters milling around changing trains and presumably changing
platforms.

Why on earth didn't they put a chord in for trains to go direct from
say Bank to Stratord International etc.?

The Olympic site is best accessed from Stratford Regional, which already
has connections from the City (on the Central and mainline), the West
End (via the Jubilee) and from Canary Wharf (via the existing DLR). If
someone wants to get there from Tower Hill directly, then the District
to West Ham is best. In one of these cases is a change needed. Stratford
International is best placed for connecting to the Athletes' Village,
which is a large residential area of the future, and international
trains, if they ever stop there.

Recliner[_2_] June 15th 11 09:41 AM

"Robin9" wrote in message

CJB;120600 Wrote:
This is clearly marked on numerous maps as opening in Autumn 2010.
Its Spring 2011 - what's the delay? CJB.

It's a Transport For London project, isn't it? Did you expect it to be
completed quickly?

Actually, most DLR projects have been completed on time.

Recliner[_2_] June 15th 11 09:44 AM

"Recliner" wrote in message

In one of these cases is a change needed.

Oops, of course I meant in *none* of these cases is a change needed.

Paul June 15th 11 09:46 AM

On Jun 15, 10:41*am, "Recliner" wrote:
"Robin9" wrote in message

CJB;120600 Wrote:
This is clearly marked on numerous maps as opening in Autumn 2010.
Its Spring 2011 - what's the delay? CJB.

It's a Transport For London project, isn't it? Did you expect it to be
completed quickly?

Actually, most DLR projects have been completed on time.

I think the main construction work has been completed. There was a
clip on BBC London News a few weeks ago showing a train arriving at
Stratford, and Boris getting on the train.

Presumably they are into the testing phase at the moment.

Robin[_3_] June 15th 11 10:10 AM

DLR Canning Town Stratford International - still not opened ...

Or of course there are the special Games Lanes for road traffic which
will let VIPs play at being* the Soviet Politburo - and which will
imprison us locals for the best part of 3 months.

*in the case of the IOC make that "continue to behave like"
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

[email protected] June 15th 11 10:39 AM

DLR Canning Town Stratford International - still not opened ...

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 11:10:28 +0100
"Robin" wrote:
Or of course there are the special Games Lanes for road traffic which
will let VIPs play at being* the Soviet Politburo - and which will
imprison us locals for the best part of 3 months.

*in the case of the IOC make that "continue to behave like"

It'll be interesting to see if TfL manage to finish the interminable
roadworks on the 406 before 2012. So far its taken them 9 months
to strip away a grass verge and lay 300 metres of tarmac near Arnos Grove.
The workman must be british or irish , I can't imagine eastern europeans
taking that long to do so little. Apparently the works at Henleys Corner
will be finished in spring 2012. Yeah , we'll see!

B2003

eastender[_4_] June 15th 11 10:41 AM

DLR Canning Town Stratford International - still not opened ...

In article
,
bob wrote:

To my mind, the most useful feature of this new line will be to allow
me to get from north of London to City Airport (eg Cambridge - King's
Cross - St Pancras - Stratford Intl - Canning Town - LCY).

Another option is Finsbury Park ‹ Highbury ‹ Shadwell ‹ LCY.

E.

Tim Roll-Pickering June 15th 11 12:10 PM

bob wrote:

(oddly I've had trouble buying a ticket from
Cambridge to Stratford International from Cambridge station, and
tickets from Cambridge to Stratford, routed any permitted, won't open
the gates at St Pancras (Kent), although the staff are happy enough to
let me through).

IIUC Stratford International for domestic services is a pick-up to
Kent/set-down to London only station. Certainly the buses to & from
Stratford regional are timed only to connect that way and I'd presume the
gates are working on the same principle (although the staff may either be
more relaxed about this or simply not know).

Tim Roll-Pickering June 15th 11 12:11 PM

Recliner wrote:

The Olympic site is best accessed from Stratford Regional, which already
has connections from the City (on the Central and mainline), the West End
(via the Jubilee) and from Canary Wharf (via the existing DLR). If someone
wants to get there from Tower Hill directly, then the District to West Ham
is best.

Has any thought been given to a Fenchurch Street to Stratford special
service? There's still a connection across Bow isn't there?

Tim Roll-Pickering June 15th 11 12:12 PM

CJB wrote:

Interesting map - thank you. It seems that to get to/from the City of
London (Bank or Tower Hill) and Stratford International (and
presumably the Olympic Site) everyone will have to change at Canning
Town. This is going to cause chaos at peak flows with tourists and
commuters milling around changing trains and presumably changing
platforms.

Why on earth didn't they put a chord in for trains to go direct from
say Bank to Stratord International etc.?

Surely that journey is better done by Central line to Stratford then pick up
the DLR for the final stretch?

Bob June 15th 11 12:15 PM

DLR Canning Town Stratford International - still not opened ...

On Jun 15, 12:41*pm, eastender wrote:
In article
,

*bob wrote:
To my mind, the most useful feature of this new line will be to allow
me to get from north of London to City Airport (eg Cambridge - King's
Cross - St Pancras - Stratford Intl - Canning Town - LCY).

Another option is Finsbury Park Highbury Shadwell LCY.

In the general case of approaching from the north, that's certainly an
option, in the particular case of Cambridge, the service to Finsbury
Park isn't great (there are twice hourly non-stop trains to the Cross
that don't call at FP, one semi that calls at FP in a useful time, and
one stopper that's no good to man nor beast). There is also the very
occasional Cambridge to Stratford train on the Liverpool Street route,
but I've never figured whether it's actually useful for this
particular journey. The last couple of times I made the journey it
wasn't running for various reasons.

Robin

Recliner[_2_] June 15th 11 12:21 PM

"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote in message

Recliner wrote:

The Olympic site is best accessed from Stratford Regional, which
already has connections from the City (on the Central and mainline),
the West End (via the Jubilee) and from Canary Wharf (via the
existing DLR). If someone wants to get there from Tower Hill
directly, then the District to West Ham is best.

Has any thought been given to a Fenchurch Street to Stratford special
service? There's still a connection across Bow isn't there?

I would have thought any Olympic-goers from Fenchurch St would just be
expected to use the West Ham gateway station.

Peter Masson[_2_] June 15th 11 01:07 PM

DLR Canning Town Stratford International - still not opened ...

"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote

IIUC Stratford International for domestic services is a pick-up to
Kent/set-down to London only station.

Not the case. It is a normal stop, which will be much more useful when the
DLR gets there.

Peter

Mike Bristow June 15th 11 01:16 PM

DLR Canning Town Stratford International - still not opened...

In article ,
bob wrote:
There is also the very
occasional Cambridge to Stratford train on the Liverpool Street route,
but I've never figured whether it's actually useful for this
particular journey.

Probably not much in it time-wise, but loads and loads easier if you have
a heavy case.

--
Mike Bristow

TimB[_2_] June 15th 11 02:04 PM

*bob wrote:
[...]

Yup - whenever I've tried to change at Tottenham Hale between
Cambridge and Stratford I've ended up having to go via Liverpool St.
Well, I think it worked once.
Tim

Robin9 June 15th 11 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recliner[_2_] (Post 120613)
[/i]

Actually, most DLR projects have been completed on time.

Sure, but completing on time is not the same as completing quickly. Any fool can allocate twice as much time as necessary to a project and then claim a great success when the project is completed on time.

Paul Scott[_3_] June 15th 11 05:58 PM

"CJB" wrote in message

Why on earth didn't they put a chord in for trains to go direct from
say Bank to Stratord International etc.?

Presumably because there's already a faster route available via changes at
Poplar and Stratford?

Paul S

Graham Harrison[_2_] June 15th 11 07:49 PM

DLR Canning Town Stratford International - still not opened ...

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote

IIUC Stratford International for domestic services is a pick-up to
Kent/set-down to London only station.

Not the case. It is a normal stop, which will be much more useful when the
DLR gets there.

Peter

And I've travelled Stratford International to St Pancras buyiong ticket from
the man where the bus stop is in Stratford Regional.

Mizter T June 15th 11 10:07 PM

On Jun 15, 4:49*pm, Robin9 wrote:

'Recliner wrote:

Actually, most DLR projects have been completed on time.

Sure, but completing on time is not the same as completing quickly. Any
fool can allocate twice as much time as necessary to a project and then
claim a great success when the project is completed on time.

So basically they can't win against the inevitability in your mind
that they'll make a mess of it then? Finished late - bloody typical.
Finished early - bloody typical.

DLR projects have in the main been regarded as successes - this one
meanwhile has obviously not all been plain sailing.

Paul Rigg[_4_] June 16th 11 11:33 AM

DLR Canning Town Stratford International - still not opened ...

I would have thought any Olympic-goers from Fenchurch St would just be
expected to use the West Ham gateway station.

What's wrong with Tower Hill, then a quick change at Mile End? It must be
almost the easiest station on LT to change at!

Robin9 June 16th 11 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizter T (Post 120642)
So basically they can't win against the inevitability in your mind
that they'll make a mess of it then? Finished late - bloody typical.
Finished early - bloody typical.

What an eccentric question! What makes you think I will complain if they finish a project early?

Dr J R Stockton June 16th 11 08:52 PM

DLR Canning Town Stratford International - still not opened ...

In uk.transport.london message , Wed, 15
Jun 2011 10:39:30, d posted:

Apparently the works at Henleys Corner
will be finished in spring 2012.

No such place, at least in the London area. See Wikipedia or Google.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London UK. DOS 3.3, 6.20; WinXP.
Web http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQqish topics, acronyms and links.

Mizter T June 16th 11 10:16 PM

On Jun 16, 5:48*pm, Robin9 wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

So basically they can't win against the inevitability in your mind
that they'll make a mess of it then? Finished late - bloody typical.
Finished early - bloody typical.

What an eccentric question! What makes you think I will complain if they
finish a project early?

Your comments just upthread, that's what!

Charles Ellson June 17th 11 02:24 AM

DLR Canning Town Stratford International - still not opened ...

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 21:52:30 +0100, Dr J R Stockton
wrote:

In uk.transport.london message , Wed, 15
Jun 2011 10:39:30, d posted:

Apparently the works at Henleys Corner
will be finished in spring 2012.

No such place, at least in the London area. See Wikipedia or Google.

There is if you get rid of the surplus "e":-
"Transport for London
Henlys Corner

We are carrying out major improvements to the busy Henlys Corner
junction, at the intersection of the A406 North Circular Road and A598
Finchley Road/Regents Park Road.

The scheme will improve crossing facilities for pedestrians and
cyclists and ease traffic congestion.

There will be new signal-controlled pedestrian- and cyclist-crossing
facilities as well as a new junction design to improve traffic flow."
[
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/proj...es/11571.aspx]

bearded June 17th 11 04:05 AM

DLR Canning Town Stratford International - still not opened ...

Problems with the control system / software.

But there's still snagging going on at various locations.

This week at Canning Town...

a number of paving stones have been removed at intervals from the
'down' platform edge after huddles of contractors were seen examining
them. An alignment/ gauging problem, maybe?

and both the new stairwell and the original one still have coloured
netting draped over them

[email protected] June 17th 11 08:37 AM

Dr J R Stockton wrote:
In uk.transport.london message , Wed, 15
Jun 2011 10:39:30, d posted:

Apparently the works at Henleys Corner
will be finished in spring 2012.

No such place, at least in the London area. See Wikipedia or Google.

What are you , some kind of new breed of idiot?

B2003

[email protected] June 17th 11 08:39 AM

DLR Canning Town Stratford International - still not opened ...

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 03:24:00 +0100
Charles Ellson wrote:
There will be new signal-controlled pedestrian- and cyclist-crossing
facilities as well as a new junction design to improve traffic flow."
[http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/proj...es/11571.aspx]

If they really wanted to improve traffic flow they'd have put either
the A406 or the A1 on a flyover or under. They did it all along the eastern
stretch of the 406 , I can't see why they can't do the same on the
western stretch.

B2003

Chris Tolley[_2_] June 17th 11 08:56 AM

Dr J R Stockton wrote:

In uk.transport.london message , Wed, 15
Jun 2011 10:39:30, d posted:

Apparently the works at Henleys Corner
will be finished in spring 2012.

No such place, at least in the London area. See Wikipedia or Google.

Oh there is. I lost an hour in a queue there the other day.

It's just not spelt that way. People have a habit of getting the "e"
before the "y" mixed up in all sorts of words that end with a y. I
should know.

--
..sig down for maintenance

Bruce[_2_] June 17th 11 10:00 AM

Charles Ellson wrote:
"Transport for London
Henlys Corner

We are carrying out major improvements to the busy Henlys Corner
junction, at the intersection of the A406 North Circular Road and A598
Finchley Road/Regents Park Road.

The scheme will improve crossing facilities for pedestrians and
cyclists and ease traffic congestion.

There will be new signal-controlled pedestrian- and cyclist-crossing
facilities as well as a new junction design to improve traffic flow."
[http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/proj...es/11571.aspx]

A huge opportunity - missed.

What is desperately needed at this junction, where three extremely
busy roads (A1, A406 North Circular Road, A598 Finchley Road) cross,
is grade separation. There was enough land available, thanks to
compulsory purchase of the Henly's car dealership, and grade separated
schemes for this site have been looked at in detail in the past.

However TfL allowed the (understandably) negative views of a few local
residents to over-ride the need for a scheme that would benefit the
tens of thousands of people who use this junction every working day.

The result is a barely improved junction that adds very little
capacity. It also wastes the land that could have been used for a
properly considered grade separated scheme, either with a flyover for
the A406 or a less intrusive but more expensive underpass.

Robin9 June 17th 11 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Post 120663)
Charles Ellson wrote:
There will be new signal-controlled pedestrian- and cyclist-crossing
facilities as well as a new junction design to improve traffic flow."
[
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/proj...es/11571.aspx]

If they really wanted to improve traffic flow they'd have put either
the A406 or the A1 on a flyover or under. They did it all along the eastern
stretch of the 406 , I can't see why they can't do the same on the
western stretch.

B2003

Absolutely correct. Well said. The central point is of course that TfL did not want to improve the flow of traffic there and does not want to improve it anywhere else either. The scheme at Henly's Corner is a complete waste of time and public money..

Robin9 June 17th 11 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce[_2_] (Post 120666)
Charles Ellson wrote:
[...]

The original scheme devised by The Department Of Transport in the good old days before we had TfL inflicted upon us did involve grade separation of the three main flows of traffic.

The A1 was to go underneath in a tunnel, the A406 was to retain its current course and above, as at Brent Cross, there was to be an elevated roundabout into which the A598 would feed directly. It was in preparation for this scheme that Henly's Garage was moved and the land acquired.

I think you underestimate TfL's determination to prevent real improvements from ever taking place. It wasn't that they allowed themselves to be influenced by a few nay-sayers. They actively sought them out in order to have a pretext for their wasteful scheme. This is standard practice by unscrupulous public bodies.

On any subject under the sun there is always a handful of cranks with a perverse opinion. If a public body wants to do something that the vast majority of people oppose, the trick is to seek out the cranks, ne'er-do-wells and utterly selfish people who don't give a damn for the public interest and then claim that these people represent the majority.

Robin9 June 17th 11 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizter T (Post 120658)
On Jun 16, 5:48*pm, Robin9 wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

So basically they can't win against the inevitability in your mind
that they'll make a mess of it then? Finished late - bloody typical.
Finished early - bloody typical.

What an eccentric question! What makes you think I will complain if they
finish a project early?

Your comments just upthread, that's what!

Your imagination has got the better of you. Nothing in my earlier posts suggests I would be sorry if TfL ever completed a project early.

Incidentally nothing in those posts suggests I think they will make a mess of this project either. I assume the project will eventually be completed in such a way that a reasonable service will be provided. I just doubt that it will be completed quickly or at a sensible cost.

Tom Anderson June 17th 11 09:30 PM

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011, Chris Tolley wrote:

Dr J R Stockton wrote:

In uk.transport.london message , Wed, 15
Jun 2011 10:39:30, d posted:

Apparently the works at Henleys Corner
will be finished in spring 2012.

No such place, at least in the London area. See Wikipedia or Google.

Oh there is. I lost an hour in a queue there the other day.

It's just not spelt that way. People have a habit of getting the "e"
before the "y" mixed up in all sorts of words that end with a y. I
should know.

Serves you right for moving to Hackny.

tom

--
WHO REPLACED THE CLIENT FILES WITH TEQUILA.. ALFONZ??

fvw June 18th 11 09:04 AM

DLR Canning Town Stratford International - still not opened ...

On Jun 15, 8:49*pm, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:
"Peter Masson" wrote in message

"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote

IIUC Stratford International for domestic services is a pick-up to
Kent/set-down to London only station.

Not the case. It is a normal stop, which will be much more useful when the
DLR gets there.

Peter

And I've travelled Stratford International to St Pancras buyiong ticket from
the man where the bus stop is in Stratford Regional.

I'm thinking about travel from East Anglia (NXEA) to St Pancras Intnl
in August. Is is possible to get off at Stratford Regional and walk
to Stratford Intl to pick up the Javelin for a fast run to St
Pancras?

Is that doable on a standard off-peak saver ticket from NXEA to London
terminals, or is a supplement payable for the Javelin bit?

Thanks.

Peter Masson[_2_] June 18th 11 09:28 AM

DLR Canning Town Stratford International - still not opened ...

"fvw" wrote

I'm thinking about travel from East Anglia (NXEA) to St Pancras Intnl
in August. Is is possible to get off at Stratford Regional and walk
to Stratford Intl to pick up the Javelin for a fast run to St
Pancras?

Is that doable on a standard off-peak saver ticket from NXEA to London
terminals, or is a supplement payable for the Javelin bit?

I don't think a London Terminals ticket can be used - you'll need to get a
ticket to St Pancras International via HS1. At the moment the only way of
making the connection at Stratford is to use the free shuttle bus. AIUI the
DLR will be running by August, when you'll need to make the connection by
DLR. The pedestrian route is still unavailable as it's a building site for
the shopping centre.

Peter