Old January 8th 04, 09:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

Default Oyster at Finsbury Park

In message , Paul Corfield
writes
On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 18:53:45 +0000, Kat
wrote:
I have to say, it's all very time consuming though..

regrettably it was always going to be the case that some transactions
(e.g. incomplete journeys) would be rather involved.

I really meant that it's time consuming to go through the explanation as
well as do all the other things we need to do.
The whole Pre Pay Oyster concept is complicated to explain to people and
often needs to be done on a one to one basis rather than just put
leaflets in a rack and hope that people will read them.
I think it's up to us on the gateline to do it though, SAMFs just don't
have the time.
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Old January 8th 04, 10:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Martin Rich
writes
In message , Martin Rich
writes

That's interesting. At present I go out of zone around once a week:
so far I've just bought paper extension tickets and used them exactly
as I would have done with a magnetic season ticket: I touch the Oyster
at the in-zone station, and put the extension in the gate at the
out-of-zone station.

Have you actually done this yet or was that in the days before Pre Pay
was enabled? It won't work now because an extension ticket cannot open
the gate for you and your Oyster will be recording an unresolved
journey. You should be using Pre Pay now.

You're right, of course. I haven't (yet) done this since pre-pay started.

Except of course, that Finsbury Park doesn't have any gates anyway.

--
Bob Adams (email to )

Old January 9th 04, 12:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

The clock on the validator at Kings Cross WAGN platforms 9-11 is 4
houra fast.. so if you try to use your prepay between Finsbury Park
amd Kings Cross on WAGN it will create two unresolved journeys, whivh
charged mr £10.20,, No ticket office staff seem to know how to sort
this out....
Old January 9th 04, 12:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
K K is offline

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 18:40:17 +0000, Paul Corfield
wrote:

I was most surprised when Kat posted that someone with zero Pre-Pay
balance had been deducted into negative value because they presented
their Travelcard Oyster out of zone. While I understand why the system
does it I think it is barmy to put passengers in a position of needing
to do something with their cards when there is nothing to explain to
them the way to avoid it happening. I've looked at the Oyster website
and I was not terribly impressed with the FAQ.

They have posters at Canary Wharf explaining this.

Old January 9th 04, 09:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Bob Adams wrote:

When will WAGN Gripper's be able to read Oysters?

The ones on the Chingford-Liverpool Street line had readers about a
month ago at least. (Though I guess they may not *all* have them...)
Old January 9th 04, 10:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 22:39:12 +0000, Bob Adams
wrote:

So what was "the bit with it" ?

The Record Card issued with the Oyster when last topped up.
When will WAGN Gripper's be able to read Oysters?

When they have hand held checkers.
Why should I be willing to pay a three pound deposit for an Oyster when
it is going to save LUL a fortune? (But not it seems yet, WAGN.)

Because pre-pay will save you money on singles. And if you want a 7
day travelcard on Oyster you'll be able to renew over the internet or
at a ticket machine....

Rob.

--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk
Old January 10th 04, 12:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message 0, David
Jackman writes
How is this supposed to work? How will the validators at Stratford tell
between a Highbury and Islington to Stratford via OXO onward via National
Rail and a Highbury and Islington to (say) Leyton via NLL? Or does the
user need to validate both "in" (through the barrier) then "out" (on the
platform, I assume one has been provided) at Highbury, "in" at Stratford
and then "out" at Mile End? What a performance!

(1)
This is how I think it may be working.
Start journey on Victoria Line at Highbury and Islington (1st touch
reader at entry)
Change to Central Line at Oxford Circus (no reader)
Leave at Stratford (2nd touch of reader at exit)

(2)
Start journey at Highbury and Islington (1st touch at entry)
leave NR at Stratford ( use 2nd reader at continuation exit or possibly
Jubilee Line UTS gates)
Join Central Line.
Leave at Leyton (3rd touch of reader at exit)

I don't know Stratford (except the upper level Central/DLR/NR) part well
enough to know if you have to go through the Jubilee line gates to leave
the lower NR part of the station or if there are validators on the lower
NR platforms. Also, I don't know Highbury and Islington at all.
Maybe someone who uses these stations can tell me.
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Old January 10th 04, 08:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Kat wrote:
In message 0, David
Jackman writes
I don't know Stratford (except the upper level Central/DLR/NR) part well
enough to know if you have to go through the Jubilee line gates to leave
the lower NR part of the station

You don't.

or if there are validators on the lower
NR platforms.

I /think/ there are, but I don't use the NLL often.

Also, I don't know Highbury and Islington at all.
Maybe someone who uses these stations can tell me.

--
You dont have to be illiterate to use the Internet, but it help's.

Old January 10th 04, 01:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Robert Woolley
writes
wrote:

So what was "the bit with it" ?

The Record Card issued with the Oyster when last topped up.

Is it compulsory to have it with you? And what if you renew via the
internet?

When will WAGN Gripper's be able to read Oysters?

When they have hand held checkers.

Get away!

Why should I be willing to pay a three pound deposit for an Oyster when
it is going to save LUL a fortune? (But not it seems yet, WAGN.)

Because pre-pay will save you money on singles. And if you want a 7
day travelcard on Oyster you'll be able to renew over the internet or
at a ticket machine....

Still doesn't answer why LUL/TfL are charging a deposit on the card (or
why passengers are willing to pay it.)

--
Bob Adams (email to )