Old July 6th 11, 11:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Abbey Wood

Anyone know whether, when Abbey Wood becomes the terminus of
Crossrail, it will close down for any considerable length of time for
rebuilding work between now and 2018, and if so when (ie when is that
whole station going to be rebuilt?)

My guess is that it's too early to say.

Some friends of mine have just moved there and I promised I'd ask here
on their behalf as there's a lot of knowledgeable people here.

Many thanks

Tristán

Old July 7th 11, 09:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
Tristán White writes

Anyone know whether, when Abbey Wood becomes the terminus of
Crossrail, it will close down for any considerable length of time for
rebuilding work between now and 2018, and if so when (ie when is that
whole station going to be rebuilt?)

There may be a better source than this:
http://democracy.bexley.gov.uk/mgAi.aspx?ID=7397

But it indicates that the LB of Bexley has been informed that Abbey Wood
will now stay open during the rebuild (which is due to start in 2013,
and which will take longer than the original proposal to close the
station during construction).
--
Paul Terry
Old July 7th 11, 03:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Terry" wrote:

In message
,
Tristán White writes

Anyone know whether, when Abbey Wood becomes the terminus of
Crossrail, it will close down for any considerable length of time for
rebuilding work between now and 2018, and if so when (ie when is that
whole station going to be rebuilt?)

There may be a better source than this:
http://democracy.bexley.gov.uk/mgAi.aspx?ID=7397

But it indicates that the LB of Bexley has been informed that Abbey Wood
will now stay open during the rebuild (which is due to start in 2013, and
which will take longer than the original proposal to close the station
during construction).

Dunno how helpful they'd be, but your friends could always try contacting
the Crossrail helpdesk (which helpfully uses a telephone icon on the
website, yet doesn't show a telephone number to call):
http://www.crossrail.co.uk/contact

It seems you can also sign up to a 'station news' service, specifying the
particular station of interest - presumably email updates will arrive in due
course:
http://www.crossrail.co.uk/station-news

Old July 8th 11, 09:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

I would not be surprised if there were weekend service suspensions or
the occasional blockade over one of the longer bank holiday weekends
but that will depend entirely on how complex the work is. Given
Crossrail infrastructure is separate it may be possible to construct
the new tracks and stations with relatively little disturbance.

Network Rail are entirely rebuilding Abbey Wood station (North Kent line
platforms included), so I'm sure you are right that there will be some
disruption.

The original plan was to close the station for some months, but there
were (rightly) too many protests from rail users in the area. I suspect
the new plan to keep it open will mean that building works will continue
for years rather than months.

Four design options for Abbey Wood can be seen he

http://www.fereday-pollard.co.uk/pro...y-wood-station

I don't know which (if any) of these Balfour Beatty are going to build.

--
Paul Terry
Old July 11th 11, 10:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 6 July, 23:51, Tristán White wrote:
Anyone know whether, when Abbey Wood becomes the terminus of
Crossrail, it will close down for any considerable length of time for
rebuilding work between now and 2018, and if so when (ie when is that
whole station going to be rebuilt?)

My guess is that it's too early to say.

Some friends of mine have just moved there and I promised I'd ask here
on their behalf as there's a lot of knowledgeable people here.

Many thanks

Tristán

I think it unlikely that Abbey Wood will close for any length of time,
maybe the odd weekend but that's about it.

Still seems a strange terminus for Crossrail though, Dartford or even
Gravesend would be more logical.

Old July 12th 11, 11:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 11, 10:42*am, George wrote:
Still seems a strange terminus for Crossrail though, Dartford or even
Gravesend would be more logical.

I suspect it's purely as it's the first available station after the
river crossing where it can do so. The route is apparently safeguarded
to Gravesend, but in the interests of minimising the project (in order
to make it happen) whilst getting the big sections built (the river
crossing to interchange with the existing network for example), Abbey
Wood is where it will terminate.