Old July 29th 11, 04:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Thameslink North South connections

On 2011\07\29 17:41, Peter Campbell Smith wrote:
"Paul wrote in
:

Tattenham Corner - Welwyn Garden City

That must be one of the more obscure pairings. I wonder how many end-to-
end tickets they will sell?

A few when the races are on.

Old July 29th 11, 04:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Peter Campbell Smith" wrote in message
"Paul Scott" wrote in
:

Tattenham Corner - Welwyn Garden City

That must be one of the more obscure pairings. I wonder how many end-to-
end tickets they will sell?

Does it really matter? I think it isn't too relevant - they've always said
(in various consultation documents at least) that the linked pairs are not
that significant, the assumption is that most pax are only going to London,
and will change en route. The trick will be getting them to do so at the
best choice of station I expect, ie probably not Farringdon, best to leave
that for Crossrail interchange...

Should we assume new signs will be put up such as "Welcome to Cambridge,
twinned with Horsham", with civic leaders going on factfinding tours?

Paul

Old July 29th 11, 05:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul Scott) wrote:

Should we assume new signs will be put up such as "Welcome to
Cambridge, twinned with Horsham", with civic leaders going on
factfinding tours?

I don't think so somehow.

--
Colin Rosenstiel (Cambridge City Councillor)
Old July 29th 11, 05:50 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message
, at
07:23:43 on Fri, 29 Jul 2011, 1506 remarked:
18 tph through London Bridge

Brighton - Bedford 12-car (4 tph)
Three Bridges - Peterborough 12-car
Horsham - Cambridge 12-car
East Grinstead - Bedford 12-car Peak only
Caterham - St Albans 8-car
Tattenham Corner - Welwyn Garden City 8-car
Tunbridge Wells - Bedford 12-car Peak only
Ashford International -Luton 12-car Peak only

6tph via Elephant and Castle

Maidstone East via Catford - Welwyn Garden City 8-car
Sevenoaks via Catford - Luton *8-car
Bellingham via Catford - St Albans 8-car

Hope this of some interest

Paul S

'Tis a pit some of the Horsham terminators are not continuing to
Bognor Regis and/or Littlehampton.

The original plan included Littlehampton via Brighton, and Eastbourne.
Old July 29th 11, 07:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:58:53 on
Fri, 29 Jul 2011, Paul Scott remarked:
Tattenham Corner - Welwyn Garden City

That must be one of the more obscure pairings. I wonder how many end-to-
end tickets they will sell?

Does it really matter? I think it isn't too relevant - they've always
said (in various consultation documents at least) that the linked pairs
are not that significant, the assumption is that most pax are only
going to London, and will change en route. The trick will be getting
them to do so at the best choice of station I expect, ie probably not
Farringdon, best to leave that for Crossrail interchange...

The best strategy for passengers is to change as soon as possible. That
means any passengers getting off at the following few stations will
release seats which they can grab before the boarding hordes can. So
SPILL southbound and perhaps Blackfriars northbound.
Old July 29th 11, 07:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,cam.transport

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 23:16:17 on Thu,
28 Jul 2011, Paul Scott remarked:
Often discussed here, but now something concrete in the London & SE RUS
final version - some north/south origin/destination pairings of Thameslink
services.

Source is table 5.2 in the RUS, which gives more info about routes and
stopping patterns, each pairing is 2 tph; except Brighton - Bedford which
is 4tph:

18 tph through London Bridge

Brighton - Bedford 12-car (4 tph)
Three Bridges - Peterborough 12-car
Horsham - Cambridge 12-car

And so it looks like we will get a Cambridge-Gatwick train one day (rather
than those trains inheriting the earlier route of Kings Lynn to
Sevenoaks).

It would be nice if they could run a couple of the Brighton services to/from
the ECML instead of Bedford. A direct service between Brighton and Cambrdge
feels like it might actually be useful to a number of people.

--
DAS

Old July 29th 11, 07:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

The best strategy for passengers is to change as soon as possible. That
means any passengers getting off at the following few stations will
release seats which they can grab before the boarding hordes can. So SPILL
southbound and perhaps Blackfriars northbound.

For the various routes from SN territory East Croydon seemed a reasonable
choice at first, but of course the trains will be running 50/50 on fast
and slow lines, however at London Bridge the 18 tph will be on the same
platform....

Paul

Old July 29th 11, 07:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" wrote in message
"Roland Perry" wrote in message

The best strategy for passengers is to change as soon as possible. That
means any passengers getting off at the following few stations will
release seats which they can grab before the boarding hordes can. So
SPILL
southbound and perhaps Blackfriars northbound.

For the various routes from SN territory East Croydon seemed a reasonable
choice at first, but of course the trains will be running 50/50 on fast
and slow lines, however at London Bridge the 18 tph will be on the same
platform....

... also the (current) trains are usually standing room only between East
Croydon and London Bridge. In fact one of the Golden Rules of comfortable
stress-free rail travel in SN territory is to avoid changing at East Croydon
if at all possible.

--
DAS

Old July 29th 11, 07:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:29:52 on Fri, 29 Jul
2011, D A Stocks remarked:
the (current) trains are usually standing room only between East
Croydon and London Bridge.

And it's best to pick somewhere to get on, where there's likely to be
other people getting off.

To set against the accommodation issue there's also the "get as far as
you can as soon as you can" rule. Which in this case would mean at least
Blackfriars northbound.