Old October 31st 07, 06:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default South London Paying for Thameslink?

http://www.croydonguardian.co.uk/new... er_threat.php

Crystal Palace tram link under threat?
By Gemma Wheatley
The proposed extension of Croydon's tram link to Crystal Palace could
be in jeopardy following approval of the Crossrail scheme.
Crossrail is a £16bn project to build a new rail link through central
London, connecting Maidenhead and Heathrow in the west to Essex and
Kent in the east.
However, since Crossrail was given the green light there are fears the
long-awaited extension of Croydon's tram line could be sacrificed
because it could impinge on the route of the new rail link.
The proposed extension to Crystal Palace is a three kilometre route
linking the existing network from the Harrington Road tram stop with
Anerley and Crystal Palace.
Transport bosses said the line would cut travel times between Croydon
and Crystal Palace to 18 minutes.
Norbury Councillor Pat Ryan said he is disappointed by the rumours and
said the loss of the tram extension could have a dramatic effect on
the area.
He added: "There is a deep suspicion that the extension to the Crystal
Palace line could be sacrificed.
"Don't get me wrong because I think the Crossrail link is a great idea
and I am really pleased and supportive of the plans, but I am just
praying that the rumours that are flying around about the trams are
not true."
The Crossrail route will travel underground through the city centre
between Paddington and east London and Transport for London (TfL)
hopes it will reduce journey times and overcrowding on London's
transport network.
A bill is currently in the process of going through Parliament in
order to obtain the authority to build Crossrail. Once passed, it is
expected work could start on the rail link by 2010 with the first
trains running on the line by 2017.
But Coun Ryan said Crystal Palace residents would be adversely
affected if the tram line was sacrificed.
He added: "It really would have a devastating effect on the community
- residents and the transport community as well. It would be
absolutely superb if we could get the tram line up here and I will be
doing everything I can to ensure it happens."
General manager of Tramlink, Roger Harding, said: "It is all in TfL's
hands and we have no further inside information on this matter."
A spokesman for TfL said: "Local people and businesses showed strong
support for the proposed extension of the Croydon Tramlink to Crystal
Palace in the results of the consultation on route options published
in June 2007.
"The extension would deliver a high quality, regular tram service for
local people helping to ease congestion and reduce pollution by
providing an alternative to the car.
"Transport for London is looking at which route is best overall,
taking into account the cost of construction, the availability of
funding, passenger numbers, environmental impact and the views of
residents and stakeholders from the consultation."
11:45am Tuesday 30th October 2007
Unquote

Old October 31st 07, 08:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com,
Mwmbwls writes

However, since Crossrail was given the green light there are fears the
long-awaited extension of Croydon's tram line could be sacrificed
because it could impinge on the route of the new rail link.

Eh? Has Crossrail been diverted to Crystal Palace, then? ;-)

Local journalism strikes again, methinks.
--
Paul Terry
Old October 31st 07, 10:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mwmbwls" wrote in message
ups.com...
http://www.croydonguardian.co.uk/new... er_threat.php

Crystal Palace tram link under threat?
By Gemma Wheatley
The proposed extension of Croydon's tram link to Crystal Palace could
be in jeopardy following approval of the Crossrail scheme.

Did 'Thameslink' appear in the subject line intentionally?

Paul

Old October 31st 07, 11:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Oct 31, 11:13 am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
"Mwmbwls" wrote in message

ups.com...http://www.croydonguardian.co.uk/new....var.1796030.0...

Crystal Palace tram link under threat?
By Gemma Wheatley
The proposed extension of Croydon's tram link to Crystal Palace could
be in jeopardy following approval of the Crossrail scheme.

Did 'Thameslink' appear in the subject line intentionally?

Paul

Is this a case of the article mistakenly referring to Crossrail when
they meant Thameslink, or is it a misunderstanding about funds being
diverted rather than routes encroaching?

Old October 31st 07, 11:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"MIG" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 31, 11:13 am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
"Mwmbwls" wrote in message

ups.com...http://www.croydonguardian.co.uk/new....var.1796030.0...

Crystal Palace tram link under threat?
By Gemma Wheatley
The proposed extension of Croydon's tram link to Crystal Palace could
be in jeopardy following approval of the Crossrail scheme.

Did 'Thameslink' appear in the subject line intentionally?

Paul

Is this a case of the article mistakenly referring to Crossrail when
they meant Thameslink, or is it a misunderstanding about funds being
diverted rather than routes encroaching?

No, I think its just a typo by the OP, then as you say there does seem to be
cock up in the article though where they say:

"However, since Crossrail was given the green light there are fears the
long-awaited extension of Croydon's tram line could be sacrificed because it
could impinge on the route of the new rail link."

Perhaps they are mistaking Crossrail for the ELLX to Crystal Palace,
although even then the routes don't conflict do they?

Weird...

Paul

Old October 31st 07, 11:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com, MIG
writes

Is this a case of the article mistakenly referring to Crossrail when
they meant Thameslink,

It is about "a £16bn project to build a new rail link through central
London, connecting Maidenhead and Heathrow in the west to Essex and Kent
in the east". So I don't think its simply a case of saying Crossrail
when they meant Thameslink.

or is it a misunderstanding about funds being
diverted rather than routes encroaching?

I suspect the latter. But its sloppy journalism.
--
Paul Terry
Old October 31st 07, 01:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Oct 31, 12:53 pm, Paul Terry wrote:
In message .com, MIG
writes

Is this a case of the article mistakenly referring to Crossrail when
they meant Thameslink,

It is about "a £16bn project to build a new rail link through central
London, connecting Maidenhead and Heathrow in the west to Essex and Kent
in the east". So I don't think its simply a case of saying Crossrail
when they meant Thameslink.

Well, it's just possible that having picked the wrong project they
then Googled the name they had picked on.

or is it a misunderstanding about funds being
diverted rather than routes encroaching?

I suspect the latter. But its sloppy journalism.

It is more plausible indeed, because I can't work out how any project
involves new railway builds that would encroach on tram routes in
Crystal Palace.

Old October 31st 07, 09:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MIG wrote:
On Oct 31, 12:53 pm, Paul Terry wrote:
In message
.com, MIG
writes

Is this a case of the article mistakenly referring to Crossrail
when they meant Thameslink,

It is about "a £16bn project to build a new rail link through
central London, connecting Maidenhead and Heathrow in the west to
Essex and Kent in the east". So I don't think its simply a case of
saying Crossrail when they meant Thameslink.

Well, it's just possible that having picked the wrong project they
then Googled the name they had picked on.

or is it a misunderstanding about funds being
diverted rather than routes encroaching?

I suspect the latter. But its sloppy journalism.

It is more plausible indeed, because I can't work out how any
project involves new railway builds that would encroach on tram
routes in Crystal Palace.

I suspect that the story they are trying to run is that Crossrail may
suck up any funds that might have been spent on other projects like the
tram extensions, but as with most local newspapers, the standard of
journalism is abysmal.
--
Richard J.

Old October 31st 07, 10:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 31 Oct, 12:23, MIG wrote:
On Oct 31, 11:13 am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"Mwmbwls" wrote in message

oups.com...http://www.croydonguardian.co.uk/new....var.1796030.0...

Crystal Palace tram link under threat?
By Gemma Wheatley
The proposed extension of Croydon's tram link to Crystal Palace could
be in jeopardy following approval of the Crossrail scheme.

Did 'Thameslink' appear in the subject line intentionally?

Paul

Is this a case of the article mistakenly referring to Crossrail when
they meant Thameslink, or is it a misunderstanding about funds being
diverted rather than routes encroaching?

The article doesn't refer to Thameslink whatsoever - follow the link
and you can see this. The reference to Thameslink was regrettably
introduced by this thread's OP, 'Mwmbwls'.

Old October 31st 07, 10:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Oct 31, 11:30 pm, Mizter T wrote:
On 31 Oct, 12:23, MIG wrote:

On Oct 31, 11:13 am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"Mwmbwls" wrote in message

oups.com...http://www.croydonguardian.co.uk/new....var.1796030.0...

Crystal Palace tram link under threat?
By Gemma Wheatley
The proposed extension of Croydon's tram link to Crystal Palace could
be in jeopardy following approval of the Crossrail scheme.

Did 'Thameslink' appear in the subject line intentionally?

Paul

Is this a case of the article mistakenly referring to Crossrail when
they meant Thameslink, or is it a misunderstanding about funds being
diverted rather than routes encroaching?

The article doesn't refer to Thameslink whatsoever - follow the link
and you can see this. The reference to Thameslink was regrettably
introduced by this thread's OP, 'Mwmbwls'.

That's what I said ... isn't it? The OP may have made the first
assumption, but the second is slightly more plausible.

I just wonder if there was something non-nonsensical behind the
article that was worth knowing about.