London Banter

-   -   why are the new Victoria and trains so slow? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/12180-why-new-victoria-trains-so.html)

Robin9 August 13th 11 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Post 121904)
Did anyone else here ever stand on the platform at Essex Road in Northern City Line days? The platform lights were fed from the traction supply so dimmed sharply when a train started away. Of course the platform was empty at that point as the passengers had all got on the departing train but we were changing directions there on the Underground trip in 1970.

Colin Rosenstiel

I did occasionally use Essex Road Station in those days. I didn't pay attention to esoteric details such as lights dimming but I do remember vividly that the entire line seemed dingy and run down and that all the stations had poor lighting. The line was definitely the poor relation of the London Underground family.

[email protected] August 13th 11 10:26 AM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

In article ,
(Robin9) wrote:

trip in 1970.

Colin Rosenstiel

Robin9

Is there something wrong with your newsreader? This is all I can see of your
post.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Jim[_3_] August 13th 11 10:40 AM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

In article , Robin9.88bf9c3
@londonbanter.co.uk says...

;121904 Wrote:
Did anyone else here ever stand on the platform at Essex Road in
Northern City Line days? The platform lights were fed from the traction
supply so dimmed sharply when a train started away. Of course the
platform was empty at that point as the passengers had all got on the
departing train but we were changing directions there on the Underground
trip in 1970.

Colin Rosenstiel

I did occasionally use Essex Road Station in those days. I didn't pay
attention to esoteric details such as lights dimming but I do remember
vividly that the entire line seemed dingy and run down and that all the
stations had poor lighting. The line was definitely the poor relation of
the London Underground family.

--
Robin9

In the late fifties I recall, as you say, lighting was poor and the
tiling was pretty grim as well.

Then, Essex Road platforms had diamond-shaped roundels and included
Canonbury in the wording.

[email protected] August 13th 11 10:56 AM

On 13/08/2011 10:08, Robin9 wrote:
;121904 Wrote:
Did anyone else here ever stand on the platform at Essex Road in
Northern City Line days? The platform lights were fed from the traction
supply so dimmed sharply when a train started away. Of course the
platform was empty at that point as the passengers had all got on the
departing train but we were changing directions there on the Underground
trip in 1970.

Colin Rosenstiel

I did occasionally use Essex Road Station in those days. I didn't pay
attention to esoteric details such as lights dimming but I do remember
vividly that the entire line seemed dingy and run down and that all the
stations had poor lighting. The line was definitely the poor relation of
the London Underground family.

What plans exist now for the Northern City Line?

Roger[_2_] August 13th 11 11:22 AM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 05:26:34 -0500,
wrote:

In article ,
(Robin9) wrote:

trip in 1970.

Colin Rosenstiel

Robin9

Is there something wrong with your newsreader? This is all I can see of your
post.

If you can't see the four-and-a-half line paragraph that Robin9
wrote doesn't that mean there is something wrong at your end?
--
Roger

[email protected] August 13th 11 05:06 PM

lid (Roger) wrote:

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 05:26:34 -0500,
wrote:

In article ,
(Robin9) wrote:

trip in 1970.

Colin Rosenstiel
Robin9

Is there something wrong with your newsreader? This is all I can see

of your post.

If you can't see the four-and-a-half line paragraph that Robin9
wrote doesn't that mean there is something wrong at your end?

I can see the raw text that reached my newsfeed and what I quoted is all
there is. It seems to be something about Robin's news arrangements because
I've seen the effect before and only with his postings.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Richard J.[_3_] August 13th 11 06:03 PM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

wrote on 13 August 2011 18:06:42 ...
In ,
lid (Roger) wrote:

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 05:26:34 -0500,
wrote:

In ,
(Robin9) wrote:

trip in 1970.

Colin Rosenstiel
Robin9

Is there something wrong with your newsreader? This is all I can see

of yourpost.

If you can't see the four-and-a-half line paragraph that Robin9
wrote doesn't that mean there is something wrong at your end?

I can see the raw text that reached my newsfeed and what I quoted is all
there is. It seems to be something about Robin's news arrangements because
I've seen the effect before and only with his postings.

Maybe it's some sort of interaction problem between his outgoing
newsfeed and your incoming newsfeed. My news server (Virgin Media) has
received his complete post, as has LondonBanter.co.uk and Google Groups.
--
Richard J.

[email protected] August 13th 11 07:15 PM

lid (Roger) wrote:

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 05:26:34 -0500,
wrote:

In ,
(Robin9) wrote:

trip in 1970.

Colin Rosenstiel
Robin9

Is there something wrong with your newsreader? This is all I can see
of yourpost.

If you can't see the four-and-a-half line paragraph that Robin9
wrote doesn't that mean there is something wrong at your end?

I can see the raw text that reached my newsfeed and what I quoted is all
there is. It seems to be something about Robin's news arrangements
because I've seen the effect before and only with his postings.

Maybe it's some sort of interaction problem between his outgoing
newsfeed and your incoming newsfeed. My news server (Virgin Media)
has received his complete post, as has LondonBanter.co.uk and Google
Groups.

My news comes via Giganews, hardly a two bit outfit. As I said, it's only
Robin's messages.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Robin9 August 13th 11 07:50 PM

My post did not contain the phrase "trip in 1970" so it is likely the problem is at your end.

[email protected] August 13th 11 09:34 PM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

In article ,
(Robin9) wrote:

In article
,