Old August 25th 11, 03:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default A less pleasant aspect of 'railway photography'?

[x-posted to utl]

"Bruce" wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14650757

Tube and train commuters caught on camera
By Matt Cooke
Reporter, BBC London

There are over 12 thousand CCTV cameras on the London Underground
system, monitoring the movements of millions of passengers every
single day.

But some commuters are also doing their own electronic reconnaissance.

There are a growing number of websites and photo galleries dedicated
to critiquing the appearance, dress and behaviour of fellow
travellers.

For the complete article, go to:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14650757

All part of the new world where everyone's got a camera in their pocket and
getting something 'published' on t'internet take the click of a button, or
more to the point the touch or two of a touchscreen smartphone.

None of the sites/ Twitter accounts mentioned in the article seem to be in
the business of purposefully mocking anonymous people - though there's
always the danger that such a thing could develop.

Old August 25th 11, 03:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 16:14:08 +0100
"Mizter T" wrote:
None of the sites/ Twitter accounts mentioned in the article seem to be in
the business of purposefully mocking anonymous people - though there's
always the danger that such a thing could develop.

Taking pictures of strangers to publish online is pervy so say the least. And
their suggestion that its ok to take pictures of men but not women is also the
worst kind of disingenuous politically correct feminist ********. Either its
ok to take pictures of everyone or no one.

B2003

Old August 25th 11, 03:34 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote in message
Their suggestion that its ok to take pictures of men but not women is also
the
worst kind of disingenuous politically correct feminist ********. Either
its
ok to take pictures of everyone or no one.

I fully agree. Being selective and only taking pictures of men but not women
is very wrong.

The whole premise and purpose of the site seems to be very iffy.

Old August 25th 11, 03:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote:

[x-posted to utl]

Thank you, Mizter T. Apologies for the omission. ;-)

Old August 25th 11, 04:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote:
None of the sites/ Twitter accounts mentioned in the article seem to be in
the business of purposefully mocking anonymous people - though there's
always the danger that such a thing could develop.

Taking pictures of strangers to publish online is pervy so say the least.
And
their suggestion that its ok to take pictures of men but not women is also
the
worst kind of disingenuous politically correct feminist ********. Either
its
ok to take pictures of everyone or no one.

Yup.

I want my pervy collection of attractive women to be camouflaged by the
addition of a few city gents in suits too.
--
Brian
www.imagebus.co.uk/shop

Old August 25th 11, 05:15 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote:
None of the sites/ Twitter accounts mentioned in the article seem to be in
the business of purposefully mocking anonymous people - though there's
always the danger that such a thing could develop.

Taking pictures of strangers to publish online is pervy so say the least. And
their suggestion that its ok to take pictures of men but not women is also the
worst kind of disingenuous politically correct feminist ********. Either its
ok to take pictures of everyone or no one.

It is the world in which we live. The American word is Liberalism.
Unfortunately it does not fit the classic British understanding of
Liberal. According to their thinking: It is wrong to discriminate
against women or people of color (and I agree with that). But,
"affirmative action" (discrimination by another name) against men and
people of northern European extraction is fine.

If I am mugged it is a crime. If a homosexual is mugged it is a hate
crime. It is OK for the TSA to fondle little girls, and grandmothers.
But woe betide any TSA officer who stops a 25 year old muslim in his
garb.

The fun part is that these people continually preach "tolerance".
However, they have no tolerance for those with whom they disagree, to
wit Conservatives.

Say goodbye to the sane world we once knew.

Old August 25th 11, 08:29 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message
,
1506 wrote:
If I am mugged it is a crime. If a homosexual is mugged it is a hate
crime.

False.

If a homosexual is mugged *because* she is homosexual, it is a hate
crime. If she is mugged because some low-life wants cash for his drug
habit, it is not a hate crime, just a crime.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org
Old August 25th 11, 09:09 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Once upon a time, 1506 wrote:

If I am mugged it is a crime. If a homosexual is mugged it is a hate
crime.

I don't know about the USA but in UK parlance I don't think that's quite
right.

If someone is mugged because they are gay, they yes, it's a hate crime.
But if someone is mugged just because the mugger wanted a new phone or
some cash, with no regard to the LGBT or otherwise status of their
victim, it's just a mugging.

Though muggings are abhorrent, regardless of motive.

As I understand it to get a hate crime charge to stand up in court the
prosecutors must be able to prove that the victim was targeted because
of a personal feature (colour, orientation, whatever), rather than just
having been robbed and happening to be gay / black / etc. This normally
required some evidence that the attacker chose their target for that
feature. Easier with skin colour than sexual orientation but still
provable if the necessary evidence can be found.

--
- The Iron Jelloid
Old August 25th 11, 09:12 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Aug 25, 1:29*pm, "Clive D. W. Feather" wrote:
In message
,

1506 wrote:
If I am mugged it is a crime. *If a homosexual is mugged it is a hate
crime.

False.

If a homosexual is mugged *because* she is homosexual, it is a hate
crime. If she is mugged because some low-life wants cash for his drug
habit, it is not a hate crime, just a crime.

When something happens to these people the usual assumptin is that it
happened because they are homosexual.
Old August 26th 11, 12:37 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote:
[...]

Er, and what if someone is "mugged" simply because one is "perceived
to be Queer".

(And yes, I'm a Fag so I'm able to express myself thus.)

There have been cases in Metro Vancouver where young men have been
physically assaulted on account of the assailant's perception of their
target's sexuality.

So give all of use a break: assault is assault, but if the assault is
engendered because of notions of represssed sexuality (i.e. hate), go
take a running jump...