Old September 3rd 11, 09:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Stratford Intl DLR service patterns

While I'm sure it was fully clear in advance, I hadn't appreciated the
plan to go to Woolwich in peak time and Beckton off peak - can anyone
explain the reasoning behind this?

Is this a long term plan? It seems absolutely insane?

I had believed that there'd be something along the lines of a 5 min
alternating service going to each destination, rather than 4 hour blocks
of every 10 mins to one destination.

Old September 3rd 11, 10:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Martin Petrov" wrote in message ...

While I'm sure it was fully clear in advance, I hadn't appreciated the
plan to go to Woolwich in peak time and Beckton off peak - can anyone
explain the reasoning behind this?

Simply that the Woolwich branch is busier during the peak, and the Beckton
branch is busier off-peak.

Is this a long term plan? It seems absolutely insane?

I had believed that there'd be something along the lines of a 5 min
alternating service going to each destination, rather than 4 hour blocks
of every 10 mins to one destination.

I think that will happen sooner or later, but at the moment I don't think
they have enough trains to run both services.

Peter Smyth

Old September 3rd 11, 10:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Martin Petrov" wrote in message
While I'm sure it was fully clear in advance, I hadn't appreciated the
plan to go to Woolwich in peak time and Beckton off peak - can anyone
explain the reasoning behind this?

Is this a long term plan? It seems absolutely insane?

I had believed that there'd be something along the lines of a 5 min
alternating service going to each destination...

That was definitely the basic pattern shown on the line diagrams on the DLR
project website, although I think it was possibly a 6 min frequency from
Beckton and Woolwich, both being alternate City and Stratford.

Those multi coloured line diagrams can no longer be found on TfL's or DLR's
websites of course...

Paul S

Old September 3rd 11, 10:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Peter Smyth" wrote in message

I think that will happen sooner or later, but at the moment I don't think
they have enough trains to run both services.

Good point about train numbers. Maybe the decision to expand all those
'three car' routes have fouled up the original plans?

Paul S

Old September 3rd 11, 12:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

"Martin Petrov" wrote in message
While I'm sure it was fully clear in advance, I hadn't appreciated the
plan to go to Woolwich in peak time and Beckton off peak - can anyone
explain the reasoning behind this?

Is this a long term plan? It seems absolutely insane?

I had believed that there'd be something along the lines of a 5 min
alternating service going to each destination...

That was definitely the basic pattern shown on the line diagrams on the DLR
project website, although I think it was possibly a 6 min frequency from
Beckton and Woolwich, both being alternate City and Stratford.

Those multi coloured line diagrams can no longer be found on TfL's or DLR's
websites of course...

Although they can still be seen at
http://web.archive.org/web/200610060..._pattern.shtml

Peter Smyth

Old September 3rd 11, 05:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Martin Petrov wrote:

While I'm sure it was fully clear in advance, I hadn't appreciated the
plan to go to Woolwich in peak time and Beckton off peak - can anyone
explain the reasoning behind this?

Is this a long term plan? It seems absolutely insane?

I've not yet taken the line south of Stratford High Street so how does the
interchange at Canning Town cope? The interchange between the Poplar line
and the Jubilee is one of the best between different levels, but from what I
saw the NLL platforms are awkward to get to if you're in a hurry or with
pushchairs/luggage/shopping etc...

Old September 3rd 11, 05:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I would also suggest the current service levels on the new line are
designed to reflect initial demand levels.

It's completely understandable that there's only a need for 2 car
services, every 10 minutes at this moment, what I find most perplexing is
the concept of only going to one destination at a time for hours on end -
is there a good reason why they can't do 3 trains an hour to each
destination all day?

Old September 3rd 11, 09:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

I agree that lumbering up and down stairs is not ideal but for those
who are encumbered there are still escalators down to the concourse
level but none up to the new DLR platforms. There are, of course,
lifts between all levels. It's not perfect but there isn't another
station south of Canning Town that all routes serve so a double deck
interchange is what we're stuck with.

I would have thought a bridge from the Poplar platforms to the Stratford
ones would be a natural link - or is that a complication of itself.
(Apologies if there is a bridge I've not noticed from the line - it's been
over a year since I last stopped to look at much there.)

Old September 5th 11, 07:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sep 3, 10:29*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sat, 3 Sep 2011 17:44:27 +0000 (UTC), Martin Petrov

wrote:
I would also suggest the current service levels on the new line are
designed to reflect initial demand levels.

It's completely understandable that there's only a need for 2 car
services, every 10 minutes at this moment, what I find most perplexing is
the concept of only going to one destination at a time for hours on end -
is there a good reason why they can't do 3 trains an hour to each
destination all day?

Three trains per hour does not meet the TfL spec for "turn up and go"
services. 4 tph is the minimum standard

So that would exclude Woodford to Hainault, and Earls Court to
Olympia, and Chalfont to Chesham? (and Amersham???)

Yesterday (Sunday), all International trains went towards Wolwich due
to engineering works. I also noted on Thursday that Woolwich trains
seemed to commence at 3.30pm or earlier, rather than the advertised
4pm.
Old September 6th 11, 10:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Corfield
wrote:
I think that will happen sooner or later, but at the moment I don't think
they have enough trains to run both services.

Good point about train numbers. Maybe the decision to expand all those
'three car' routes have fouled up the original plans?

I don't get this argument about too few trains.

Let's see. Looking at the current morning peak, we have:

one way round trip spacing
BAN-LEW 3-car 30 minutes 64 minutes 4 minutes 16 trains 48 cars
TOW-BEC 3-car 31 minutes 64 minutes 8 minutes 8 trains 24 cars
BAN-WWA 2-car 31 minutes 64 minutes 8 minutes 8 trains 16 cars
SFI-WWA 2-car 23 minutes 48 minutes 8 minutes 6 trains 12 cars
SFD-CAW 2-car 16 minutes 36 minutes 12 minutes 3 trains 6 cars
SFD-LEW 3-car 35 minutes 72 minutes 12 minutes 6 trains 18 cars

Total 124 cars out of 155. Adding SFI-BEC with 2-car trains adds another
12 cars, making 136. That's 88% utilisation.

Extending the entire existing service to 3-car would take 141 cars;
adding SFI-BEC as well makes 159!

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org