Old April 30th 04, 10:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default DLR or Jubilee line extension to Stratford International - two questions

What benefit is to be gained from extending the DLR from Custom House
to Stratford International and possibly Temple Mills as compared to
extending the Jubilee Line from Straford through the existing NLL
underpass and going on to fulfill the long made proposal for the
Jubilee line to take over the Hainault services. Is a Jubilee line
train not going to be able to offer more capacity than the DLR units
to interchange passengers at the peak?

It is suggested that the DLR takes over the NLL from Custom House to
Stratford. Does that mean abandoning the duplication of tracks that
exists from Canning Town to Custom House?

Old April 30th 04, 07:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

(Bob Robinson) wrote in message . com...
What benefit is to be gained from extending the DLR from Custom House
to Stratford International and possibly Temple Mills as compared to
extending the Jubilee Line from Straford through the existing NLL
underpass and going on to fulfill the long made proposal for the
Jubilee line to take over the Hainault services. Is a Jubilee line
train not going to be able to offer more capacity than the DLR units
to interchange passengers at the peak?

There was a proposal for the Jubilee Line to take over the Hainault
loop?

Are you confusing the JLE with the Chelsea-Hackney line?

Besides, if the planners could have gone further than Stratford they
probably would have, but the station, combined with the working site
for Stratford Intl., PLUS the already heavy development of the area
would have probably made it horrendously more expensive than it turned
out to be.

It is suggested that the DLR takes over the NLL from Custom House to
Stratford. Does that mean abandoning the duplication of tracks that
exists from Canning Town to Custom House?

Actually, it's Canning Town to Stratford, because north of Canning
Town you can build a flying junction to take the DLR and place it onto
the NLL tracks. The DLR is in the wrong place at Custom House, IIRC (I
could be wrong).

If the DLR does use the NLL from Canning Town to Stratford and beyond,
then the NLL will either be cut back to Stratford or will be diverted
to the Lea Valley. The NLL tracks from Canning Town to North Wollwich
will be abandoned as well.

Brad
Old May 1st 04, 07:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Haines wrote in message ...
When my involvement with the Stratford Concourse started there was no
mention of any provision for further extension. We were asked to
consider pedestrian links to the CTRL station but there was no mention
whatever of any extension of the JLE.

The opportunities for going under the high level tracks are very
limited. There are structures in the embankment which are the remains
of old bridges. The new subway had to be put in at lower level because
of the headroom issues.

Belated congratulations - the new Stratford station with its
integrated bus station is a fine piece of railway infrastructure.

I think that we might be posting at cross purposes. I was not
suggesting that the existing Jubilee line terminal platforms be pushed
through the embankment that carries the Great Eastern routes and the
emerging Central line as well as the legacy of industrial archaeology.
There will always be a need for the terminal platforms at Stratford to
provide a central London turn back and interface with the Great
Eastern lines. What I am suggesting is taking over the existing North
London lines through the station and having gone through the existing
tunnel turning to the right rather than the left. Now I am unfamiliar
with the existing and proposed layouts north of the existing station
so I might be being impractical in making the heavy rail option
suggestion. However I do not see what additional value is bought to
the network by extending the DLR from Custom House to Stratford and
hopefully Temple Mills when this route is parallel to the very
expensive Jubilee line extension whose assets every taxpayer should
want to see sweat.

As for the then surplus NLL from Custom House to Statford - well the
former Great Central Line from Chorlton cum Hardy to Gorton has been
turned into a very useful cycle track - fostering yet another non car
mode of transport.

Old May 4th 04, 03:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jan Jan is offline

John Haines wrote in message ...

When my involvement with the Stratford Concourse started there was no
mention of any provision for further extension. We were asked to
consider pedestrian links to the CTRL station but there was no mention
whatever of any extension of the JLE.

Can you elaborate on what provision for pedestrian links to the CTRL
station is to be made? It strikes me as a hell of a distance to walk
with luggage. Are there plans for travelators or people-movers or is
Joe Publique expected to walk? Also, do you know if the route will be
along streets or segregated? I can't seem to find any detailed plans
for the station and would be very interested to find out more.
Old May 4th 04, 10:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Jan
wrote:
John Haines wrote in message

When my involvement with the Stratford Concourse started there was
no mention of any provision for further extension. We were asked to
consider pedestrian links to the CTRL station but there was no
mention whatever of any extension of the JLE.

Can you elaborate on what provision for pedestrian links to the CTRL
station is to be made? It strikes me as a hell of a distance to walk
with luggage. Are there plans for travelators or people-movers or is
Joe Publique expected to walk? Also, do you know if the route will be
along streets or segregated? I can't seem to find any detailed plans
for the station and would be very interested to find out more.

While we were asked to consider a link, there was no budget for any
provision. It only amounted to indicating where some sort of link would
enter the Concourse area. I have no involvement with current
developments but I can see your point.

John Haines