Old September 14th 11, 10:11 AM
Junior Member

Exclamation Olympic ransom

I read yesterday that Tube drivers are demanding up to £1200 just to do their normal job during the Olympics and Paralympics. This really annoyed me, so I've started a HM Gov e-Petition he

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/17029

Do consider signing this petition and sharing it with others if you're equally bothered by this behaviour.

Kind regards.

Old September 14th 11, 03:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Olympic ransom

sheldrake wrote:

I read yesterday that Tube drivers are demanding up to £1200 just to do
their normal job during the Olympics and Paralympics. This really
annoyed me

What annoys me is the colossal cost of the Olympics (£23 billion and
rising) and how few people will benefit from that spending.

You can't really blame the Tube drivers for wanting a slice. ;-)

Old September 14th 11, 04:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:11:37 on Wed,
14 Sep 2011, sheldrake remarked:
I read yesterday that Tube drivers are demanding up to £1200 just to do

their normal job during the Olympics and Paralympics.

One of the papers today had a headline £1800. I didn't buy it (just saw
it in the distance at the supermarket).
Old September 14th 11, 04:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , sheldrake
writes

I read yesterday that Tube drivers are demanding up to £1200 just to do

their normal job during the Olympics and Paralympics. This really

annoyed me, so I've started a HM Gov e-Petition he

I think you are too late. The deal was agreed yesterday. But it is not
for doing their normal job. There's a basic £500, presumably to reflect
the fact that services will be much busier than in a normal quiet August
(and probably because annual leave will not be possible for most drivers
during that month) and anything above that £500 is for overtime.
--
Paul Terry
Old September 14th 11, 04:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"sheldrake" wrote in message
I read yesterday that Tube drivers are demanding up to £1200 just to do
their normal job during the Olympics and Paralympics. This really
annoyed me, so I've started a HM Gov e-Petition he

What isn't clear (as when this was first mentioned a few months ago) is if
the £500 'bonus' applies to every member of LU staff, or just those that
will need to be rostered for this. Anyone know more?

Paul S

Old September 14th 11, 06:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Scott
writes

What isn't clear (as when this was first mentioned a few months ago) is
if the £500 'bonus' applies to every member of LU staff, or just those
that will need to be rostered for this. Anyone know more?

According to the statement from TfL its train drivers only, but all of
them.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/21002.aspx
--
Paul Terry
Old September 14th 11, 07:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"sheldrake" wrote in message

I read yesterday that Tube drivers are demanding up to £1200 just to do
their normal job during the Olympics and Paralympics. This really
annoyed me, so I've started a HM Gov e-Petition he

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/17029

Do consider signing this petition and sharing it with others if you're
equally bothered by this behaviour.

Seems very reasonable to me. I recall being very ****ed off that I *had* to
go into work on the 1st January 2000, and that was with the promise of a
£600 sweetner in the pay packet (just for that day), and the certain
knowledge that all I was going to do was twiddle my thumbs for about 3
hours.

--
DAS

Old September 14th 11, 07:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:24:56 on Wed, 14 Sep
2011, D A Stocks remarked:
I read yesterday that Tube drivers are demanding up to £1200 just to do
their normal job during the Olympics and Paralympics. This really
annoyed me, so I've started a HM Gov e-Petition he

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/17029

Do consider signing this petition and sharing it with others if you're
equally bothered by this behaviour.

Seems very reasonable to me. I recall being very ****ed off that I
*had* to go into work on the 1st January 2000, and that was with the
promise of a £600 sweetner in the pay packet (just for that day), and
the certain knowledge that all I was going to do was twiddle my thumbs
for about 3 hours.

I had to be on duty the evening of the 31st Dec and through to the small
hours, in case any "rollover" issues became apparent. Yes, we got paid a
bonus but it was a bit of a one-off. In terms of workload, we'd put in
hundreds of extra hours of preparation *before* the event without a
penny of overtime.

Having applied for quite a few Olympic tickets and got none at all, I'm
getting a bit bored by all this hype. How many events are these train
drivers going to have to pass up, by being on duty - being paid overtime
as well if it's extra hours.
Old September 14th 11, 08:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Perhaps what is more to the point is that annual leave will not be
granted for most if not all applicants for the duration of the most
expensive sporting event in British history, costing taxpayers over
£1.5 billion *per day*.

Let no-one accuse football of being too dominated by money!

Old September 14th 11, 08:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
[...]

I think we got something like £5,000 in May 1999 + 24% of salary in May
2000. This was in addition to the payment mentioned above, which was just
for those required to attend that day.

--
DAS