Old September 26th 11, 08:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Now I've heard it all

Heard on a centrali line train this morning at white city: "This train will be
delayed while the relief driver turns up. I'm told he's on the train behind."

What utter utter ****wit dreamed up that rostering?

B2003

Old September 26th 11, 08:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

d wrote on 26 September 2011 10:29:17 ...
On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 10:16:44 +0100
Basil wrote:
On 2011\09\26 10:11,
d wrote:
On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 10:02:23 +0100
Basil wrote:
On 2011\09\26 09:48,
d wrote:
Heard on a centrali line train this morning at white city: "This train will
be
delayed while the relief driver turns up. I'm told he's on the train

behind."

What utter utter ****wit dreamed up that rostering?

Obviously the guy was late for work. You clearly find it easier to
complain than to think.

How could he be late for work , he was driving the ****ing train behind!

You didn't say he was driving it.

Well he was in the cab of it. Either way , someone else should have taken
the roster.

And where do you expect that someone else to be? On the platform just
in case he's needed, in which case there'll be a lot of extra hours
worked "just in case", or in the canteen 5 minutes' walk away?

What if he was a passenger and hadn't got that train but the one
behind it? Would he have to leg it from Shepherds bush while we all wait?
As it was we sat there for 5 minutes waiting for this train to turn up.

Yes, the problem shouldn't have happened, but in the circumstances 5
minutes' delay is about as good as you can expect. With the current
timetables, he'll have made it up by West Ruislip.
--
Richard J.
Old September 27th 11, 08:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 21:00:12 +0100
"Richard J." wrote:
Well he was in the cab of it. Either way , someone else should have taken
the roster.

And where do you expect that someone else to be? On the platform just
in case he's needed, in which case there'll be a lot of extra hours
worked "just in case", or in the canteen 5 minutes' walk away?

I expect the person taking over the driving to be on the sodding platform
waiting for his train to arrive, not turning up 10 minutes late in a following
train. If he's not there then the duty manager should substitute with other
staff who should also have arrived at work.

Yes, the problem shouldn't have happened, but in the circumstances 5
minutes' delay is about as good as you can expect. With the current
timetables, he'll have made it up by West Ruislip.

Well thats great if you're going to west ruislip. Doesn't help the rest of
us.

B2003

Old September 27th 11, 08:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 20:21:34 +0000 (UTC)
Nick Leverton wrote:
Well he was in the cab of it.

Why do you jump to that conclusion ? You were only told he was on it, not

Perhaps because I saw him get out of it?

that he was driving it. If things were out of course already, he could
have been asked to travel to pick your train up and relieve your driver.

Of course if drivers just drove the whole way instead of this idiotic swapping
of crew halfway along that happens on numerous lines then this problem
wouldn't arise in the first place. Its not as if epping to west ruislip is
like driving the trans siberian express.

B2003