London Banter

-   -   An exhibition of stupidity (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/12274-exhibition-stupidity.html)

Basil Jet[_2_] September 27th 11 09:35 PM

An exhibition of stupidity

On 2011\09\27 22:31, wrote:
In ,
(Robin) wrote:

You're talking bollards.

Or for some drivers "up yours" - eg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyihogeiyH0?

I find it very hard to have any sympathy for drivers who can't read.

Maybe they just can't read English. I can read a fair amount of French,
German, Dutch and Swedish, but I wouldn't necessarily understand a sign
that said "rising bollard" in any of them, and I wouldn't even
understand "buses only" in Finnish or Albanian.

[email protected] September 27th 11 11:28 PM

An exhibition of stupidity

In article ,
(Basil Jet) wrote:

On 2011\09\27 22:31,
wrote:
In ,
(Robin) wrote:

You're talking bollards.

Or for some drivers "up yours" - eg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyihogeiyH0?

I find it very hard to have any sympathy for drivers who can't read.

Maybe they just can't read English. I can read a fair amount of
French, German, Dutch and Swedish, but I wouldn't necessarily
understand a sign that said "rising bollard" in any of them, and I
wouldn't even understand "buses only" in Finnish or Albanian.

It's the "No Entry" or "No motor Vehicles" international signs they can't
read. I've seen the signs they ignore to hit the bollards in Cambridge. They
are unbelievably stupid.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Bruce[_2_] September 28th 11 11:32 AM

An exhibition of stupidity

Arthur Figgis wrote:

On 27/09/2011 13:43, Bruce wrote:
wrote:

This fashion is more Kensington and Chelsea than all of London but I'm all
in favour of getting rid of railings. They are usually a real danger to
cyclists. Kerbs are another matter though. Without them motorists drive all
over the pavements. We learnt that in Cambridge 20 years ago and ended up
with a load of bollards.

Presumably the evil motorists now knock down the bollards. Are the
bollards any better for cyclists than railings?

In Cambridge the bollards used to sneak up (literally) on the motorists
and take them by surprise.

We have some of those in Aylesbury. An installation in Manchester is
the subject of several YouTube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyihogeiyH0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpkGvr2q3xw&NR=1

David Cantrell September 29th 11 11:00 AM

An exhibition of stupidity

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 01:41:10PM +0100, Bruce wrote:

I haven't seen Exhibition Road as rebuilt but I have seen some of the
plans for it and was pessimistic as to whether it would work. Such
schemes have apparently worked in other European countries but as far
as I know, only in narrow streets.

And that's the problem with taking "solutions" that are "proven to work"
in little mainland European towns and trying to apply them to London.
There's nothing wrong with doing over Exhibition Road as an experiment,
to see if it works on wider streets with a different mix of traffic,
but it must be *as an experiment*, with measurable goals defined in
advance.

--
David Cantrell | even more awesome than a panda-fur coat

Deck of Cards: $1.29.
"101 Solitaire Variations" book: $6.59.
Cheap replacement for the one thing Windows is good at: priceless
-- Shane Lazarus

David Cantrell September 29th 11 11:03 AM

An exhibition of stupidity

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 01:18:03PM +0000, d wrote:
On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 07:48:10 -0500
wrote:
Bollards are a major problem for people with impaired sight. The County

Why? Unless they left their white stick at home or have a particularly stupid
guide dog why should bollards be any more of an impediment than anything else
potentially in their way?

Quite. There's plenty of other street furniture - bus stops, signs, lamp
posts, pavement cafes, most of which seem to be in shades of grey and
brown designed specifically to be invisible during both daylight and
under artificial light - not to mention all those pesky pedestrians
moving around and tourists stopping abruptly for no good reason.

Bollards can be painted in bright red and white stripes to make them
more visible if necessary.

Argh! I agreed with Boltar!

--
David Cantrell | Official London Perl Mongers Bad Influence

Compromise: n: lowering my standards so you can meet them

[email protected] September 29th 11 11:22 AM

An exhibition of stupidity

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 12:03:54 +0100
David Cantrell wrote:
Argh! I agreed with Boltar!

My masterplan continues apace...

[strokes white cat]

B2003

[email protected] September 29th 11 12:56 PM

An exhibition of stupidity

In article ,
(David Cantrell) wrote:

Bollards can be painted in bright red and white stripes to make them
more visible if necessary.

Unfortunately that's not always an acceptable option in historic cities.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

David Cantrell September 30th 11 10:30 AM

An exhibition of stupidity

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 07:56:11AM -0500, wrote:
In article ,
(David Cantrell) wrote:
Bollards can be painted in bright red and white stripes to make them
more visible if necessary.

Unfortunately that's not always an acceptable option in historic cities.

Why on earth not?

--
David Cantrell | Official London Perl Mongers Bad Influence

What profiteth a man, if he win a flame war, yet lose his cool?

[email protected] September 30th 11 12:04 PM

An exhibition of stupidity

In article ,
(David Cantrell) wrote:

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 07:56:11AM -0500,
wrote:
In article ,
(David Cantrell) wrote:
Bollards can be painted in bright red and white stripes to make them
more visible if necessary.

Unfortunately that's not always an acceptable option in historic
cities.

Why on earth not?

Bollards painted in bright red and white stripes hardly enhance the local
environment.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] September 30th 11 12:38 PM

An exhibition of stupidity

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 07:04:38 -0500
wrote:
In article ,
(David Cantrell) wrote:

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 07:56:11AM -0500,
wrote:
In article ,
(David Cantrell) wrote:
Bollards can be painted in bright red and white stripes to make them
more visible if necessary.
Unfortunately that's not always an acceptable option in historic
cities.

Why on earth not?

Bollards painted in bright red and white stripes hardly enhance the local
environment.

Unless they're outside a barbers shop.

B2003