Old November 4th 11, 10:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default London Hub proposal published by Halcrow/Foster+Partners

On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 10:56:45 +0000
Graeme Wall wrote:
Have fly tippers been busy or something? What do you mean a hill?

The runway is definitely not level.

Clearly wasn't a problem for the RAF or the current flights that use it, why
would be a problem for commercial jets?

B2003

Old November 4th 11, 11:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 11:38:38 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 11:08:57 on Fri, 4 Nov
2011, Roland Perry remarked:
There's an air lane over Maidstone, Harlow, Corby, Nottingham with
loads of transatlantic flights from continental Europe currently.

A United flight from Paris to Chicago has just flown over my house, and
I mean *right* over - on the mapping site it was within one house width.

The raw position data is only accurate to +/- 0.5 NM

Old November 4th 11, 11:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 10:52:15 +0000, Graeme Wall
wrote:
A fun site that. There's a Virgin flight to Barbados passing over

me at
the moment.

A very useful site if at an airport that provides poor delay
information (that means you, GVA).

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK
Old November 4th 11, 12:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 12:01:07 on
Fri, 4 Nov 2011, The Other Mike
remarked:
A United flight from Paris to Chicago has just flown over my house, and
I mean *right* over - on the mapping site it was within one house width.

The raw position data is only accurate to +/- 0.5 NM

Nevertheless, each flight has a fairly consistent path (it doesn't
wander left and right by half a mile, but there's a definite 100m jitter
at the right zoom level).

And clearly there can be a systemic error, although obviously it's fun
to spot a plane that purports to be directly overhead (numerous have
flown past this morning in a corridor about a mile wide, mainly to the
west of me).

Looking at a plane landing at Stansted just now... and it's shown as
about 100m too far north. Heathrow flights seem slap bang in the middle
of the runway though.

obRail: Now all we need is something similar for trains.
Old November 4th 11, 12:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Bob Bob is offline

On Nov 4, 2:19*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

obRail: Now all we need is something similar for trains.

No idea if anything exists for the UK, but there is a nifty Swiss
version:

http://www.swisstrains.ch/

I'm not sure if it's real time or just based on the timetable (some
optimists might think that for the Swiss case the two are the same,
but we know better than that here).

Robin

Old November 4th 11, 01:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 2011\11\04 13:55, bob wrote:
On Nov 4, 2:19 pm, Roland wrote:

obRail: Now all we need is something similar for trains.

No idea if anything exists for the UK, but there is a nifty Swiss
version:

http://www.swisstrains.ch/

I'm not sure if it's real time or just based on the timetable (some
optimists might think that for the Swiss case the two are the same,
but we know better than that here).

What's going on between Kreuzlingen and Kreuzlingen Bernrain?
Old November 4th 11, 01:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 13:19:21 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:
Looking at a plane landing at Stansted just now... and it's shown

as
about 100m too far north. Heathrow flights seem slap bang in the

middle
of the runway though.

At Geneva it seems very accurate (from observation while looking out
of the window at the runway).

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK
Old November 4th 11, 02:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 04/11/2011 11:08, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:52:15 on Fri, 4
Nov 2011, Graeme Wall remarked:

Regardless of what's on the ground, they routinely start to turn very
soon after take-off, so as to head in the direction they need to fly
(ie, to join the airway). It's not normally straight ahead.

I used to live in Reading which is almost exactly due west of
Heathrow. Tell me again about the planes having turned off before then.

A few head west over Reading, but others turn over Windsor. It depends
where they are going.

So some do go straight ahead, contrary to what you said before.

That was my first posting to the thread, so no I didn't say anything
before.

Apologies, what /was/ said before.

In addition some of those that do turn will be turning north-west
across London, it's a big place.

What's important here is how far west of Heathrow they get, so we can
compare how far west of the estuary airport the planes might turn.

It's not strictly comparable, you just don't turn onto a parallel track
55kms east of the LHR track.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old November 4th 11, 02:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 04/11/2011 13:19, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:01:07 on
Fri, 4 Nov 2011, The Other Mike
remarked:

http://traintimes.org.uk/map/tube/ for TfL anyway.

Old November 4th 11, 02:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 15:22:08 on Fri, 4
Nov 2011, Graeme Wall remarked:
What's important here is how far west of Heathrow they get, so we can
compare how far west of the estuary airport the planes might turn.

It's not strictly comparable, you just don't turn onto a parallel track
55kms east of the LHR track.

Five out of seven of the Heathrow flightpaths that were posted here (as
pdfs) earlier today make quite tight turns to head north and south. Two
of them head for Woodley (aka Reading suburb).

There's no reason to suppose that flightpaths from an estuary airport
would be routed over central London at all.