Old November 20th 11, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

Default B**y Borris Bikes and other Cyclists in London

On 20/11/2011 16:58, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 13:49:35 +0000, Tony Dragon
wrote:

May I recommend that you carry a sturdy walking stick when out as a
pedestrian. When one of these selfish scum ignores the rules of the road
simply insert it between the spokes. It will focus the mind as the cranium
makes contact with the road surface. ;-)

You should also ensure that your insurance covers you for assault
causing actual bodily harm. If it doesn't then it's probably best not
to try this as it could be very expensive indeed.

And of course the cyclist who assaults you while riding through a
pedestrian crossing in the green man phase will also have insurance.

That comment makes no sense at all. Why would a cyclist assault me
while he was riding through a pelican crossing, albeit illegally? And
in any case, as discussed ad nauseam, actually it's quite likely he
will have insurance even if he does not know it.

Guy

Yes, we know his household insurance will cover him, the problem is that
a large percentage of households do not have insurance.

Old November 20th 11, 10:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20/11/2011 13:35, Robin wrote:
I agree with that but I wonder why we get all this ire against
cyclists when it is the much larger number of moron motor vehicle
drivers who kill thousands of people every year.

Perhaps it is that (i) in London at least a much higher proportion of
cyclists act unlawfully and without consideration for others -
especially pedestrians who seem to be seen as a soft target (sic) and
(ii) there is next to no enforcement of the law and penalties for
cyclists - indeed, it is almost impossible to take action against a
cyclist who fails to stop after smashing one's shopping, ripping
trousers, etc etc.

Look at it another way. I cannot recall when I last had to take
avoiding action because of a car going through a red light or driving
the wrong way on a one-way road. It is pretty much a weekly event with
cyclists.

Indeed, in London the Green Man means dodge the cyclist.
Old November 20th 11, 10:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tony Dragon wrote:

[...]

Meanwhile, in Dublin, the Green Man means ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FNbSTemxqs

Old November 21st 11, 10:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 07:28:09AM -0600, wrote:
In article ,
(Jack
Taylor) wrote:
As a responsible cyclist, who stops at traffic lights, carries lights
and fluorescent clothing and reflectors and respects other users of
the road (and pavements) I share your irritation with the morons who
give us all a bad name.

I agree with that but I wonder why we get all this ire against cyclists when
it is the much larger number of moron motor vehicle drivers who kill
thousands of people every year.

Because moron cyclists are far harder to hold to account for their
actions. It's because of the actions of a few moron motor vehicle
drivers that drivers were required to get licences, register their
vehicles, show number plates, and carry insurance. I think it's only
reasonable that if I have to do that because of moron motor vehicle
drivers (and don't get me wrong, I think it's a good idea) then the
majority of law-abiding, safe, polite cyclists should do the same.

It won't be perfect - you'll still get a tiny minority that put cloned
plates on their bikes, and don't bother with insurance, just like some
motor vehicle drivers do - but it will be an improvement.

As for the costs - we already have a system for registering cars,
motorbikes etc so extending that to add one more type of vehicle shouldn't
be expensive; insurance won't be expensive, given that it is already
included in most household contents cover for "free"; manufacture of
registration plates is a one-off cost; I would expect a car or motorcycle
licence to also cover bicycles so there's no cost of licencing for the
vast majority of adults, and if you want a bike-only licence then we
already have a good model for that - the cycling proficiency test that
was so cheap to train for and administer that schools used to do it.

--
David Cantrell | Godless Liberal Elitist

I hate baby seals. They get asked to all the best clubs.
Old November 22nd 11, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

I always imagine some driver along the north circular leaning out of
his window shaking his fist and shouting bloody cyclists, then parking
at Edgware, hauling out a Boris Bike and immediately shaking his fist
and shouting Bloody Useless drivers!!

Old November 22nd 11, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

On Nov 22, 1:36*pm, Offramp wrote:
I always imagine some driver along the north circular leaning out of
his window shaking his fist and shouting bloody cyclists, then parking
at Edgware, hauling out a Boris Bike and immediately shaking his fist
and shouting Bloody Useless drivers!!

Don't forget the bit after he parks the car and becomes a pedestrian
at which point he will shake his fists at cyclists AND car drivers.

--
Simon Mason
Old November 22nd 11, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

Simon Mason wrote:
On Nov 22, 1:36*pm, Offramp wrote:
I always imagine some driver along the north circular leaning out of
his window shaking his fist and shouting bloody cyclists, then parking
at Edgware, hauling out a Boris Bike and immediately shaking his fist
and shouting Bloody Useless drivers!!

Don't forget the bit after he parks the car and becomes a pedestrian
at which point he will shake his fists at cyclists AND car drivers.

Why does all this make me think of Boltar?

Old November 22nd 11, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

In message
s.com of Tue, 22 Nov 2011 05:43:14 in uk.transport.london, Simon Mason
writes
On Nov 22, 1:36*pm, Offramp wrote:
I always imagine some driver along the north circular leaning out of
his window shaking his fist and shouting bloody cyclists, then parking
at Edgware, hauling out a Boris Bike and immediately shaking his fist
and shouting Bloody Useless drivers!!

Don't forget the bit after he parks the car and becomes a pedestrian
at which point he will shake his fists at cyclists AND car drivers.

The Boris (sic) Bikes area is roughly equivalent to Zone 1.
cf. https://web.barclayscyclehire.tfl.gov.uk/maps

At 2209, a prospective Boris Biker might have been lucky. ;(
My cropped snapshot shows:
Bikes Empties
Fore Street Avenue 0 26
Bank of England 0 15
Queen Street, Bank 2 18
Barbican Centre 0 19
Aldersgate Street 2 12
Clerkenwell Green 0 21

Fore Street Avenue was also empty at 1850, as I walked past.

http://bikes.oobrien.com/ shows the Boris Bike load balance.
I find the imbalance often makes the system unusable: during the day,
the centre is full and the outskirts empty and vice versa at night.
Hardly surprising.

A Boris Bike journey is between a station with one or more bikes and a
station with one or more empty bike slots. It is bad when no bikes can
be found; it is worse when no slots can be found. ;(
I recently found a third failure mode. Empty slots in 2 station would
not accept 'my' bike. Staff collected it six hours later and the system
still shows me owing 50UKP for its failure. ;((

I shake imaginary fists at those who ignore 'no exit except in
emergency', 'keep left', 'keep right', etc. in tube stations, except
where I do it.

LU seems to ignore relevant breaches of TfL's Conditions of Carriage
(CoC). cf. http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/conditions-of-
carriage-october-2011.pdf
"4.5.1 ... you must not: ... use emergency exits except in an emergency
or when instructed to do so by our staff. You may be prosecuted for
disobeying these requirements." I find nothing in CoC covering the
'shortcut' from the ticket hall to the eastbound Central Line Platform
at Tottenham Court Road.
I look forward to seeing the effect of such indiscipline, during the
Summer Olympics, from 27 July to 12 August 2012.
--
Walter Briscoe
Old November 23rd 11, 02:38 AM
Banned

classic cars for sale
When it comes time to buy a automobile many people are selecting to get utilized rather than brand new. With the downturn in the financial system and numerous folks out of operate, it would seem that a lot more and a lot more men and women are obtaining methods to conserve extra cash.

One way in which individuals have located to conserve a considerable amount of cash is to purchase a utilised vehicle when it comes time to replace their current vehicle. Some people have even selected to sell their automobiles that price too considerably to fuel and decide on a automobile that gets more miles to the gallon and so calls for significantly much less to operate. Not only is this simpler on the price range, it is less difficult on the planet as effectively.

When hunting for used autos for sale by owner, 1 of the ideal resources is your local classified section of the newspaper. There are a lot of really wonderful opportunities to be found in regional resources like this simply because lots of people still advertise this way and not absolutely everyone is making use of the net to sell things. An additional excellent option is to verify modest flyers and neighborhood publications that let advertisements of used vehicles.

A lot of people have also been very profitable finding employed automobiles for sale by owner by making use of on the web auction internet sites and advertising web sites this kind of as Craigslist. The critical point to don't forget, particularly if you are contemplating a vehicle that will need you to travel to select it up, is to examine out the seller as very best as you can before proceeding. Ask a lot of concerns, make certain the answers you are receiving not only make sense, but are consistent. If the car was only used for weekend leisure actions, but has excessive miles, this may possibly make you query other statements the owner has created. It is always essential to believe about the big image when taking into consideration anything at all in the on the internet world whether it is a obtain as large as an automobile or even one thing significantly smaller and less expensive. Don't forget any car is an investment even if it is a utilised car.

Be certain to use frequent sense, have the vehicle thoroughly inspected and evaluated and get everything in writing. Getting a used vehicle can save you a lot of funds, specifically compared to new automobile offerings, but you require to do your homework and be confident that you are acquiring precisely what you are having to pay for.
Old November 23rd 11, 02:31 PM
Banned

Location: milton keynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin[_4_] View Post
You should also ensure that your insurance covers you for assault
causing actual bodily harm. If it doesn't then it's probably best not
to try this as it could be very expensive indeed.

Most people would know that (as a matter of public policy) you cannot
insure against a criminal act carried out intentionally. I do hope the
Lycra is not restricting the blood supply.

But I do agree it is an action best taken by people with little or
nothing to lose. I have, for example, a little list of crossings I
intend to visit with my stout walking stick if I ever have the "best put
your affairs in order a.s.a.p." talk with the doctor.

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Another Borris Bendy Bursts into Flames Fat richard London Transport 34 October 10th 10 11:16 AM
CYCLISTS THREE TIMES MORE LIKELY TO GET INJURED ON BENDY BUS ROUTE- POPE Colin Rosenstiel London Transport 50 June 18th 07 11:16 PM
Fascist cyclists d London Transport 90 February 6th 06 07:02 AM
Crash Suit for Cyclists puppyluv2 London Transport 0 December 19th 05 09:01 AM
mingle with cyclists [email protected] London Transport 19 December 11th 04 05:50 PM