London Banter

-   -   Fare Dodging Consequences (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1242-fare-dodging-consequences.html)

Kat January 10th 04 12:24 PM

Fare Dodging Consequences

In message , Paul
Weaver writes
(City Worker) wrote in message
.com...
OK - I own up.

I have a Zone 2 annual season ticket. I found that this allowed me to
run my journey from a Zone two station, through Zone 1, and back out
of a Zone 2 station no problems since October. Much like the old
paper ticket.

Naughty. Last night, however, I travelled from North Acton (zone 2/3)
to West kensington (zone 2), with a 23456 travel card. No I could have
gone via ealing broadway (would have been faster normally), but there
was no train listed on the westbound platform for 14 minutes. Instead
I went via notting hill/earls court.

If it had been oyster what would have happened?

My guess is nothing unless you happened to get caught on the train in
Zone 1
I don't know the set-up at Ealing Broadway but I think you can go from
Central to District without going through any gates..
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Paul Corfield January 10th 04 04:03 PM

Fare Dodging Consequences

On 10 Jan 2004 04:15:09 -0800, (Paul Weaver) wrote:

Naughty. Last night, however, I travelled from North Acton (zone 2/3)
to West kensington (zone 2), with a 23456 travel card. No I could have
gone via ealing broadway (would have been faster normally), but there
was no train listed on the westbound platform for 14 minutes. Instead
I went via notting hill/earls court.

If it had been oyster what would have happened?

Absolutely nothing unless caught between NHG and EC while travelling on
the District Line. You could even have exited at NHG as it is in Zone 2
as well as Zone 1.

An interesting variant on the question is what would happen if you
re-entered there and then carried on to West Kensington - my *guess* is
that there would be a debit against Pre-Pay as I expect that would be a
Z12 fare and your card has no Zone 1.
--
Paul C

John Ray January 10th 04 05:13 PM

Fare Dodging Consequences

Kat wrote:

I don't know the set-up at Ealing Broadway but I think you can go from
Central to District without going through any gates..

Yes, you can.

--
John Ray, London UK.

Mail to mefp49 is unlikely to be read. I can be contacted at xcf70 (same
ISP).