Old January 7th 04, 10:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Fare Dodging Consequences

OK - I own up.

I have a Zone 2 annual season ticket. I found that this allowed me to
run my journey from a Zone two station, through Zone 1, and back out
of a Zone 2 station no problems since October. Much like the old
paper ticket.

Now Pre-Pay is up and running - it deducts £1.60 each time (the
extension amount). This is going to cost more than buying a Zone 1 & 2
Annual Pass.

My question is: If I upgrade and add Zone one - will they allow this
without penalty fares for the three months of 'unofficial' use?
Will I be retrospectively charged extensions for all the journeys
made?
What If I ask for a refund on the season ticket - and then get a new
full zone season ticket? Will they deduct the due amounts from my
refund?

Old January 7th 04, 10:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , City
Worker writes
OK - I own up.

I have a Zone 2 annual season ticket. I found that this allowed me to
run my journey from a Zone two station, through Zone 1, and back out
of a Zone 2 station no problems since October. Much like the old
paper ticket.

Now Pre-Pay is up and running - it deducts £1.60 each time (the
extension amount). This is going to cost more than buying a Zone 1 & 2
Annual Pass.

My question is: If I upgrade and add Zone one - will they allow this
without penalty fares for the three months of 'unofficial' use?
Will I be retrospectively charged extensions for all the journeys
made?
What If I ask for a refund on the season ticket - and then get a new
full zone season ticket? Will they deduct the due amounts from my
refund?

No, you can upgrade and will only have to pay for any out of zone
journeys you've made since Pre Pay was enabled. And since you wouldn't
have been able to use it more than once until the debit had been cleared
you should only have to pay for your last journey across Zone 1.
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Old January 8th 04, 07:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 7 Jan 2004 14:07:43 -0800, (City Worker)
wrote:

OK - I own up.

I have a Zone 2 annual season ticket. I found that this allowed me to
run my journey from a Zone two station, through Zone 1, and back out
of a Zone 2 station no problems since October. Much like the old
paper ticket.

Now Pre-Pay is up and running - it deducts £1.60 each time (the
extension amount). This is going to cost more than buying a Zone 1 & 2
Annual Pass.

My question is: If I upgrade and add Zone one - will they allow this
without penalty fares for the three months of 'unofficial' use?
Will I be retrospectively charged extensions for all the journeys
made?
What If I ask for a refund on the season ticket - and then get a new
full zone season ticket? Will they deduct the due amounts from my
refund?

simply upgrade to add Zone 1. Unless the rules have radically changed
(and I don't believe they have) then retrospection will not be applied
to old journeys in respect of penalty fares or monies due. I wouldn't
expect to see any refund value reduced by the value of trips due - such
a policy change would normally be advertised because of the impact it
would have on refund values.

Interesting questions though and raises a few thoughts in my head about
how the system is working.
--
Paul C

Old January 8th 04, 11:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Many Thanks to all.... I am a reformed evader. Though I do still
think the 'paying for the use of zone 1' tracks even when not exiting
in Zone 1 is a little unfair.... maybe that aspect should be reduced!
Old January 8th 04, 04:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"City Worker" wrote in message
om...

Many Thanks to all.... I am a reformed evader. Though I do still
think the 'paying for the use of zone 1' tracks even when not exiting
in Zone 1 is a little unfair.... maybe that aspect should be reduced!

Following on with that reasoning:

Why should my fare pay for the track, signalling, provision of electrical
current to move the train, or the wages of the train operator whilst the
train is in zone 1?

Old January 8th 04, 06:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin Mayes" wrote the following in:

"City Worker" wrote in message
om...

Many Thanks to all.... I am a reformed evader. Though I do
still think the 'paying for the use of zone 1' tracks even when
not exiting in Zone 1 is a little unfair.... maybe that aspect
should be reduced!

Following on with that reasoning:

Why should my fare pay for the track, signalling, provision of
electrical current to move the train, or the wages of the train
operator whilst the train is in zone 1?

I think most important is the space taken up on a train by a person
while that person is zone 1. Zone 1 is extremely crowded at times so it
seems only fair that someone should have to pay for contributing to
that crowding.

--
message by Robin May, or at least that's what the headers say.
Enjoy the Routemaster while you still can.

Crime is confusing.

Old January 9th 04, 11:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Robin Mayes
writes

"City Worker" wrote in message
. com...

Many Thanks to all.... I am a reformed evader. Though I do still
think the 'paying for the use of zone 1' tracks even when not exiting
in Zone 1 is a little unfair.... maybe that aspect should be reduced!

Following on with that reasoning:

Why should my fare pay for the track, signalling, provision of electrical
current to move the train, or the wages of the train operator whilst the
train is in zone 1?

Yep, I agree that is what he is asking. And your reply is... ?

--
Bob Adams (email to )

Old January 10th 04, 05:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Bob Adams" wrote in message
In message , Robin Mayes
writes

"City Worker" wrote in message
. com...

Many Thanks to all.... I am a reformed evader. Though I do still
think the 'paying for the use of zone 1' tracks even when not exiting
in Zone 1 is a little unfair.... maybe that aspect should be reduced!

Following on with that reasoning:

Why should my fare pay for the track, signalling, provision of electrical
current to move the train, or the wages of the train operator whilst the
train is in zone 1?

Yep, I agree that is what he is asking. And your reply is... ?

I'll repeat: provision of electrical current to move the train, or the wages
of the train operator whilst the train is in zone 1?

So you'd be happy with the train going nowhere because there's no
electricity or train operator???!!!???

Consequences of ticket office closures, part 94 [email protected] London Transport 11 October 30th 15 09:16 AM
easy to fare dodge on new bendy buses Pritesh London Transport 9 December 1st 03 09:52 PM
Oyster - Bus Fare - Prepay J. Public London Transport 7 October 22nd 03 11:21 PM
Exact Fare Only CJG London Transport 34 September 4th 03 10:37 AM
Exact Fare Only Colin Rosenstiel London Transport 7 August 27th 03 08:34 PM