Old January 13th 04, 11:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Fastest tube trains?

Which line do trains travel fastest and how fast do they go? Any difference
in sub surface and deep tube lines? Anybody got info on what speed trains
travel at on all lines?

Thanks

Fossil

Old January 14th 04, 09:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Nes Nes is offline

Fastest surface: Metropolitan
Fastest tube line: Piccadilly on the Hammersmith - Acton run.
Speeds: Not sure there... anyone?

--
To reply directly to me, please remove all the spam-deflecting X's!
Either that, or simply reply to the group!

Old January 15th 04, 12:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Nes wrote:
[top posting corrected]
"Fossil" wrote in message

Which line do trains travel fastest and how fast do they go? Any
difference in sub surface and deep tube lines? Anybody got info on
what speed trains travel at on all lines?

Fastest surface: Metropolitan
Fastest tube line: Piccadilly on the Hammersmith - Acton run.
Speeds: Not sure there... anyone?

Can't find the info at present, but IIRC the A60/A62 stock on the Met is
allowed up to 60 mph. The speed limit on the Piccadilly is 45 mph, and I
thought some other tube lines were faster. (Jubilee 50 mph?)

--
Richard J.

Old January 15th 04, 09:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Rob Rob is offline

i think the central is fastest tube, also it may be the fastest line at
100kph (62mph) towards epping and ruislip

"Richard J." wrote in message
Nes wrote:
[top posting corrected]

Old January 15th 04, 04:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Nes Nes is offline

They get up to that speed in passenger service? I wouldn't really know, as I
haven't been as far Epping on 92TS. Last time I went that far was on the old
62 stock.

Nes.
--

"Rob" wrote in message
i think the central is fastest tube, also it may be the fastest line at
100kph (62mph) towards epping and ruislip

"Richard J." wrote in message
Nes wrote:
[top posting corrected]

Old January 15th 04, 04:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Nes" wrote in
:

They get up to that speed in passenger service? I wouldn't really
know, as I haven't been as far Epping on 92TS. Last time I went that
far was on the old 62 stock.

Wouldn't surprise me if they do approach that speed. There's a portion of
the Central Line between Leyton and Leytonstone where the track runs
parallel to the A12, which is a 3-lane dual-carriageway with a 50mph limit
at that point. The trains usually run at about the same speed as, or
sometimes a little faster than, the middle-lane traffic, which is probably
sitting at about the 50mph limit.

Iain
Old January 15th 04, 08:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The best way to measure the speed is get a good GPS receiver - although its
use is obviously limited to surface sections. AFAIK the Picadilly line 1973
stock has a top speed of 45 mph. 60 mph on A60/62 Metropolitan line stock is
only achievable west of Harrow on the Hill.

"Iain" wrote in message
"Nes" wrote in
:

Old January 16th 04, 12:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Met is 50

Old January 16th 04, 06:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , "Roger the
cabin boy (Lappy)" writes
Met is 50

I thought the Central went at up to 100kph?
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this
Old January 16th 04, 08:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Presumably these stats all relate to surface sections. It would be
interesting to learn what the highest/average speeds are in the tunnelled
sections.

Obvious constraints are the frequency of station stops, gradients and
curves - I would have thought the average speed was probably around 30 mph
or less.

Also in the case of 'tube' lines there must also be issues relating to air
pressure and resistance, the train is after all acting rather like the
piston in a bicycle pump. As a child I recall rather uncomfortable 'ear
popping' on the Northern Line section between Kennington and Waterloo.

news