Old March 23rd 09, 09:06 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default (Times): Britain to have fastest train service in the worldwithin 12 years

On Mar 23, 1:58*pm, TimB wrote:
On Mar 23, 8:42 pm, "tim....." wrote:

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to..._sectors/trans...

Aha. So they're saying 'It is much cheaper to safeguard the land at
the start' [for quadrupling] rather than actually planning to build
four tracks from the start. Fair enough. And the plan is to connect
with Heathrow Express at Old Oak rather than running the HSL via
Heathrow - also sensible, I think.

This looks excellent. I will believe when constructions starts!

Although, I am not convinced that a Central London (Well Camden)
terminal is impossible. Accessing Euston with its spare capacity
would not be that difficult.

Old March 24th 09, 09:06 AM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 24 Mar, 09:27, "Lüko Willms" wrote:

*Do all Londoners live within the immediate vicinity of Euston Station
or St. Pancras?

No. But I'd venture that the majority of travel involving London is
people going *into* it from outside to work, not *out* of it for
leisure. So where they live is less relevant than ensuring that it is
easy to get to/from workplaces in central London.

Neil
Old March 24th 09, 11:00 AM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Neil Williams wrote:
On 24 Mar, 09:27, "Lüko Willms" wrote:

Do all Londoners live within the immediate vicinity of Euston Station
or St. Pancras?

No. But I'd venture that the majority of travel involving London is
people going *into* it from outside to work, not *out* of it for
leisure. So where they live is less relevant than ensuring that it is
easy to get to/from workplaces in central London.

Neil

Arguably a station west of London but on Crossrail is easier to get to,
say, Docklands from than somewhere like Euston or St. Pancras.

Proposed Crossrail journey times are really rather fast compared to
anything you're used to on conventional tube or rail. Taking Acton Main
Line, which is a bit west of OOC:

Tottenham Court Road - 11m
Farringdon - 14m
Liverpool St. - 16m
Canary Wharf - 23m
Stratford - 27m

Knock a minute or so off for the shorter distance and it isn't far off
the time from existing London terminals, particularly given walking
times to the Circle/Met Line from say St. Pancras or Euston platforms.

Tom

Old March 24th 09, 03:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

Am Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:06:21 UTC, schrieb Neil Williams
auf uk.railway :

On 24 Mar, 09:27, "Lüko Willms" wrote:

*Do all Londoners live within the immediate vicinity of Euston Station
or St. Pancras?

No. But I'd venture that the majority of travel involving London is
people going *into* it from outside to work, not *out* of it for
leisure. So where they live is less relevant than ensuring that it is
easy to get to/from workplaces in central London.

Yeah, but that is quite irrelevant when they want to travel to
another city or another part of the country.

Cheers,
L.W.

-- -----------------------------------------------------

Old March 24th 09, 03:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

On 24 Mar, 16:16, "Lüko Willms" wrote:

* Yeah, but that is quite irrelevant when they want to travel to
another city or another part of the country.

You are missing the point spectacularly.

Travel *into* London for business is the most important (and largest)
market served by rail in London.

The UK is not like Germany with no particular centre. People are far
more likely to need to go *to* Central London than *from* the suburbs,
even given the population there.

Neil
Old March 24th 09, 04:36 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Mar 24, 5:42*am, Michael Bell wrote:
In message
ups.com
* * * * * TimB wrote:

On Mar 23, 11:02 pm, Michael Bell wrote:
In message
ups.com
* * * * * wrote:

On Mar 23, 1:58 pm, TimB wrote:
On Mar 23, 8:42 pm, "tim....." wrote:

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to..._sectors/trans...

Aha. So they're saying 'It is much cheaper to safeguard the land at
the start' [for quadrupling] rather than actually planning to build
four tracks from the start. Fair enough. And the plan is to connect
with Heathrow Express at Old Oak rather than running the HSL via
Heathrow - also sensible, I think.
This looks excellent. *I will believe when constructions starts!
Although, I am not convinced that a Central London (Well Camden)
terminal is impossible. *Accessing Euston with its spare capacity
would not be that difficult.

So we are going to have these massive double-deck trains coming in
every 4 minutes, and onward transport, chiefly the tube, is not going
to be overwhelmed? It can only just cope now!

They're clearly pinning their hopes on Crossrail. Although it's also
near Willesden Jn for NLR and WLR, plus Central line.
* Tim

And despite the "desperate need for Crossrail" that was given reason
for building it, Crossrail will have plenty of capacity to take
passengers from these BIG trains? Double-deck. Every 4 minutes.

I Have my doubts.

That's why I like Ove Arup's suggestion of extending the CTRL from a
new St. Pancras (North), maybe via Paddington, Heathrow and then
north.

The trains would start at Ebbsfleet (does that count as a "London"
station, then stop at Stratford...etc

IMHO Ove Arup had it right. The route coming in from Stratford should
branch before St Pancras and continue to Willesden. I have my doubts
about Heathrow. It would be better to swing north towards Northolt.

The link between HS1 and HS2 should be used for Paris/Brussels to
Birmingham/Manchester trains.

IMHO Euston is probably the best London Terminus for London to
Birmingham/Manchester and the North train. This is despite the fact
that Euston is a cold Polsonite 1960s structure.
Old March 24th 09, 04:51 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Mar 24, 10:07*am, Michael Bell wrote:
In message
* * * * * Charles Ellson wrote:

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 12:41:30 GMT, Michael Bell
wrote:
In message
ups.com
* * * * *Neil *Williams wrote:

On 24 Mar, 09:27, "Lüko Willms" wrote:

*Do all Londoners live within the immediate vicinity of Euston Station
or St. Pancras?

No. *But I'd venture that the majority of travel involving London is
people going *into* it from outside to work, not *out* of it for
leisure. *So where they live is less relevant than ensuring that it is
easy to get to/from workplaces in central London.

Neil

Don't forget the important shopping and theatre traffic.

Important to whom ? Most people don't get the urge to visit Egyptian
grocers' shops and are adequately served by the shop(s) and/or
supermarket down the road.

Traffic to the west end for shopping and to the theatres are certainly
important traffic streams for the owners of those businesses. Largely
off-peak, so easier to cope with, but these people also have a voice
and will want their interests to protected.

The was a time when there was a mini rush hour at about 10:30 in the
evening when the theater shows ended. I don't know if that is still
the case.
Old March 24th 09, 04:58 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 24 Mar, 17:36, wrote:

IMHO Euston is probably the best London Terminus for London to
Birmingham/Manchester and the North train. *This is despite the fact
that Euston is a cold Polsonite 1960s structure.

Cold in an emotional sense, maybe. But not in a physical sense -
while people are freezing their proverbials off in nice-looking
traditional stations, the Euston concourse is nice and warm, and
equally nice and cool on a hot day.

It has its faults, but it is probably my favourite London terminus.

Neil