Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 4th 12, 11:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

Default Telephone line numbers, prefixes, and area codes

Stephen Sprunk wrote:
On 04-Apr-12 13:15, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
Stephen Sprunk wrote:
On 31-Mar-12 13:10, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
Stephen Sprunk wrote:
On 31-Mar-12 10:48, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

+ is the international instruction to dial the routing digits to make
an international call. I believe we all recognize it.

You'd be surprised. Many Americans probably don't know what our int'l
dialing prefix is since they've never used it--and it's not necessary
for int'l calls to other countries in the NANP.

I have a GSM handset.

So your dialing isn't broken by design, as it is with CDMA and iDEN
handsets (and, formerly, AMPS and TDMA).

You and your over-the-top opinions.

GSM dials calls in international format for the simple reason that it was
designed initially for European use, where there are 30 country codes.
How many country codes are there in the NANP, Steven?

GSM doesn't "dial calls" in any particular format, Abam.

Wrong again, Stephen.

Users dial calls, and the number is interpreted by the switch.

It's a cell phone. "Switch" is not a concept that applies.

All GSM switches will accept calls in E.164 format (i.e. including the +)
_as well as_ one or more local dialing formats.

Must you be deliberately obtuse? No matter what diailng sequence the
phone accepts from me, the number is sent in international format.

This isn't a matter of controversy, so just drop this bull****.

If you dial "1" rather than "+1" for NANP calls, you are _not_ dialing
with a country code but rather with the long distance access code, which
AFAIK is optional on all NA mobile operators.

For the 27th time, Steven: GSM doesn't have a concept of trunk codes,
only international dialing format.

Wrong. See above.

You don't know what the **** you are talking about. You're now beyond
tiresome, so the rest is snipped.