Old February 8th 12, 09:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default LU jobsworths

On 08/02/2012 21:23, Roland Perry wrote:

Morrisons was a draw because on reading the small print, one was their
fault, but the other wasn't intended to be combined. I'll ask the
audience about the second: would you expect to be able to buy one
Pastrami and one roast beef from this same range of cooked meats, for a
total of £3?

http://www.perry.co.uk/images/two-for-three-quid.jpg

Not without the word "any" appearing.

I spotted a "1 for GBP1, 3 for GBP3.10" style offer in Sainsbury's the
other day.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old February 8th 12, 09:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 08/02/2012 22:03, Mizter T wrote:

Other annoyances are out of date promotional notices (maybe not that
common), or ones that only cover a limited offer but are (mis)placed
near other similar products - e.g. a '2 for 1' offer that only covers
green pesto but isn't all that clear and is too close to the red
pesto. Another common one is the wrong product being restocked in a
shelf space, rendering the shelf price tags wrong.

All good reasons for drawing up one's guard on entering a supermarket
- they're out to get you! (Or rather your dosh.)

While it is generally less of a problem in supermarkets, I get annoyed
with "25% off marked prices" signs when it is not clear whether the
lower of two marked prices is the new price or a base for further
reductions.

eg if it says "was GBP10 now GBP7.50" on a widget label, and "25% off
marked price" on a sign next to it, does that mean the widget is 7.50 or
6.00 (or even 5.00 if you are lucky).

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old February 9th 12, 12:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Arthur
Figgis writes
While it is generally less of a problem in supermarkets, I get annoyed
with "25% off marked prices" signs when it is not clear whether the
lower of two marked prices is the new price or a base for further
reductions.

Last night in Tesco was a special offer, 78p for a packet of biscuits or
£2 for two, is it me? Have I missed something somewhere. Just further
along were my favourites, Hobnobs, here was a special offer I couldn't
refuse and it was marked on the same label. Hobnobs £1:09. Hobnob
twin pack £1:00. I thought there must be some mistake so I put them
through the till and sure enough, £1:00. When I queried it at the
service desk, they weren't at all phased, they just said it wasn't rare
for makers to run promotional packs and this is what I'd bought, two
ordinary packs with another wrapper around and cheaper than a single.
--
Clive
Old February 9th 12, 06:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

on Wed, 8 Feb 2012, Arthur Figgis
remarked:
Morrisons was a draw because on reading the small print, one was their
fault, but the other wasn't intended to be combined. I'll ask the
audience about the second: would you expect to be able to buy one
Pastrami and one roast beef from this same range of cooked meats, for a
total of £3?

http://www.perry.co.uk/images/two-for-three-quid.jpg

Not without the word "any" appearing.

That's the Morrisons scheme, yes. But ASDA would automatically include
similar items.

on Wed, 8 Feb 2012, Arthur Figgis
remarked:
I get annoyed with "25% off marked prices" signs when it is not clear
whether the lower of two marked prices is the new price or a base for
further reductions.

eg if it says "was GBP10 now GBP7.50" on a widget label, and "25% off
marked price" on a sign next to it, does that mean the widget is 7.50
or 6.00 (or even 5.00 if you are lucky).

In a clothes shop, it would be £7.50.

In message , at 01:57:36 on Thu, 9
Feb 2012, Clive remarked:

Last night in Tesco was a special offer, 78p for a packet of biscuits
or £2 for two, is it me? Have I missed something somewhere.

That's very typical of Tesco. They also sometimes sell smaller packets
of things cheaper, eg 200g of cereal for £2, 300g for £3.50

Just further along were my favourites, Hobnobs, here was a special
offer I couldn't refuse and it was marked on the same label. Hobnobs
£1:09. Hobnob twin pack £1:00. I thought there must be some mistake
so I put them through the till and sure enough, £1:00. When I queried
it at the service desk, they weren't at all phased, they just said it
wasn't rare for makers to run promotional packs and this is what I'd
bought, two ordinary packs with another wrapper around and cheaper than
a single.

But beware the wrappers sometimes, it seems "bigger value pack" can mean
it's a just a bigger pack, not better value (than buying individually).

Another trick that Morrisons sometimes does with meat is put a very big
price label on saying how much per kg it is, and a very small label with
the cost of the actual item. If it's more than 1kg you can get the wrong
impression.

Old February 9th 12, 08:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 8, 10:03*pm, Mizter T wrote:

Not necessarily - the magic word I look for is "any" - i.e. "*any* 2
for £3"

Women tend to like to buy unexpected things. I notice that they always
have loads of uexpected items in their bagging areas.

Old February 9th 12, 02:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 07:28:43 on Thu, 9 Feb
2012, Roland Perry remarked:
would you expect to be able to buy one
Pastrami and one roast beef from this same range of cooked meats, for a
total of £3?

http://www.perry.co.uk/images/two-for-three-quid.jpg

Not without the word "any" appearing.

That's the Morrisons scheme, yes. But ASDA would automatically include
similar items.

Happened to be in the CoOp today, and it's worse than I thought.

For example, Unsmoked Bacon in a packet marked "2 for £4", which seems
to mean "two of *these* for £4".

Next to it, Smoked Bacon marked "Any 2 £4", and mentioning it was a
bacon offer, but no other bacon similarly marked that it might be
combined with.

And nearby some Beefburgers "Any 2 £4" with small print saying it was
restricted to "any burgers", although again only one type was available.

And round the other side some Chicken marked "Mix & Match Any 3 for £10"
with a nearby shelf label listing at least half a dozen items, all of
which had the same sticker. [It was this one that they messed up before,
the till falsely claiming that red and white meat, which were both
listed, couldn't be mixed.]
Old February 17th 12, 12:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london,cam.misc

More [ASDA] supermarket pricing silliness today.

Old El Paso item for £3.22, "two for £3".

And upstairs, non-food items having an "up to half price sale".

Couldn't see anything at less than 50% of the original price though.

Old February 17th 12, 02:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london,cam.misc

On 17 Feb., 14:45, Roland Perry wrote:
More [ASDA] supermarket pricing silliness today.

Old El Paso item for £3.22, "two for £3".

Up until five or six years ago, when they amended their checkout
software, you could do quite well at Tesco when the special offer
stuff was discounted near its sellby date.
If something was say 2 quid but two for 3 quid, then after the second
went through, a pound would be deducted. The thing is, this still
happened even if the unit price had been dropped to less than 50p.
I remember once checking out with a trolley of oranges, charged at
-70p per two bags. I did have to include some other stuff to keep the
total in positive territory, as I didn't quite have the nerve to ask
for payment for my goods.
That though has changed now, such that the BOGOF or whatever doesn't
apply to discounted items, so that if for the above example the price
was dropped to 1.75 (they're not nearly so generous with their
discounts now, either), you'd pay 3.50 for two. Software equally
flawed, but with the error in that direction I don't expect the same
urgency to fix it.
Old February 17th 12, 02:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london,cam.misc

In message
, at
07:17:30 on Fri, 17 Feb 2012, " remarked:
If something was say 2 quid but two for 3 quid, then after the second
went through, a pound would be deducted. The thing is, this still
happened even if the unit price had been dropped to less than 50p.

The CoOp was like that too.

That though has changed now, such that the BOGOF or whatever doesn't
apply to discounted items, so that if for the above example the price
was dropped to 1.75 (they're not nearly so generous with their
discounts now, either), you'd pay 3.50 for two.

My Tesco Express lurches from trying to sell its discount stuff at 90%
of original price, to 25%. You don't know from one day to the next what
they'll be offering.

Got some bacon earlier in the week for 85p (down from £3.32). Why they
think I'll pay £1.65 for a £1.85 item with only a day to go, I have no
idea.
Old February 17th 12, 03:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london,cam.misc

Roland Perry wrote:

More [ASDA] supermarket pricing silliness today.

Old El Paso item for £3.22, "two for £3".

Excuse me for being dim (I can't be expected to change the habit of a
lifetime), but what point are you seeking to make here?