Old February 8th 12, 07:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default LU jobsworths

Find something in Tesco wrongly marked, pay for it, then take
it to the customer services, you'll get a full refund and keep the
product, that's how customer service should work.

Not in the UK this century.

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old February 8th 12, 08:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default LU jobsworths - correction

Robin wrote:
Find something in Tesco wrongly marked, pay for it, then take
it to the customer services, you'll get a full refund and keep the
product, that's how customer service should work.

Not in the UK this century.

delete "century", insert "decade"

(The "Price Promise" policy ended in 2007.)

Old February 8th 12, 08:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Clive" wrote in message
In message , michael adams
writes
If you very often carry no cash at all, why would you bother
carrying any at all, even £1's worth ? And where do you get this change
from ? Do you borrow it from the wife and kids, who presumably do
carry cash, just so as to carry the odd bit of change about.
Even though you have no actual need of it ?

I live in a small town that you've probably never heard of. Parking is normally
either on street with a parking disc, "Like a small cardboard clock, you set it to the
next complete quarter hour and put it in your windscreen so the traffic wardens can see
how long you've been there, it's free for an hour". Alternately I'll park in a
supermarket car park if that is where I am going. It may surprise you, but they don't
charge either.
Sometimes if the weather is good I may go by bus, being retired, I have a bus pass,
again free. If I want to buy anything, although it's just a small town, technology
has got this far and I can use a Debit card in every shop I use. I can even use it in
Costa, but Morrissons is just as good and less than half the price.
I do understand that Londoners rush around like headless chickens, in the 60s I worked
on the tube (on the trains, Northern then Central lines) so I have personal experience.
I have also been caught in a traffic jam on the M25 at 05:55. I come down there now
and again to visit friends and a relative and so I also have an oyster card for use
there.
I wouldn't attempt to judge you, I don't know who you are or any of your circumstances.
Likewise, I think it foolish to judge anyone who's means none of us have any way of
knowing. Oh, before I forget, both my children are adults with children of their own,
if there is any borrowing to be done it's by them from me.

That seems clear enough. But if you use a Debit card in every shop you use,
you have yet to explain where you get this change which you occasionally
carry around with you. Or why you would ever have need of any change at all.

In my experience credit card machines and the associated technology
in both large and small outlets can't always be guarenteed to work.
It's for this reason that I've found it sensible to carry a few
notes around sufficient to cover any day to day eventuality
in the event of the CC facility in any chosen outlet being
unavailable. I could if course choose instead to shlep the streets
searching out an alternative, safe in the knowledge that my £50
is instead sat safe in the drawer back home, or earning interset
at 0.01% in a bank. But as I said, in my opinion in the real world
where technology has a habit of breaking down, such a course of action
is just plain dumb.

michael adams

michael adams

Clive

Old February 8th 12, 12:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Robin writes
Find something in Tesco wrongly marked, pay for it, then take
it to the customer services, you'll get a full refund and keep the
product, that's how customer service should work.

Not in the UK this century.

Yep. About three months ago in Tesco, they had a promo sticker on
"Fosters" but the self checkout didn't recognise it. Took it with
the receipt to the service desk where someone went to check the item and
sticker, they came back, gave me a full refund and told me to keep the
beer. (I can see people coming out of the woodwork, saliva dripping
from their angry lips at my assumption that Fosters = beer;-)
--
Clive
Old February 8th 12, 02:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message of Wed, 8 Feb 2012 08:32:56 in
uk.transport.london, Robin writes
Find something in Tesco wrongly marked, pay for it, then take
it to the customer services, you'll get a full refund and keep the
product, that's how customer service should work.

Not in the UK this century.

My recent experience is different. At Waitrose, a couple of Saturday's
ago, I bought a French stick loaf, priced on the shelf at 0.99. The till
charged 1.39. I called the manager, pointed out the discrepancy and got
a free loaf to have with my soup.
--
Walter Briscoe
Old February 8th 12, 08:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:27:29 on Wed, 8
Feb 2012, Walter Briscoe remarked:
Find something in Tesco wrongly marked, pay for it, then take
it to the customer services, you'll get a full refund and keep the
product, that's how customer service should work.

Not in the UK this century.

My recent experience is different. At Waitrose, a couple of Saturday's
ago, I bought a French stick loaf, priced on the shelf at 0.99. The till
charged 1.39. I called the manager, pointed out the discrepancy and got
a free loaf to have with my soup.

I've had run-ins (documented in other bits of usenet) in the last six
months involving offers of the "any 3 for £5" kind not being recognised
at the till at both Morrisons and CoOp.

In both cases they 'honored' the deal (but no more), the CoOp with a
particularly bad grace, when they were definitely in the wrong.

Morrisons was a draw because on reading the small print, one was their
fault, but the other wasn't intended to be combined. I'll ask the
audience about the second: would you expect to be able to buy one
Pastrami and one roast beef from this same range of cooked meats, for a
total of £3?

http://www.perry.co.uk/images/two-for-three-quid.jpg
Old February 8th 12, 08:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 21:23:54 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:
fault, but the other wasn't intended to be combined. I'll ask the
audience about the second: would you expect to be able to buy one
Pastrami and one roast beef from this same range of cooked meats,

for a
total of £3?

Yes.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK
Old February 8th 12, 09:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 8, 9:23*pm, Roland Perry wrote:
[...]
I've had run-ins (documented in other bits of usenet) in the last six
months involving offers of the "any 3 for £5" kind not being recognised
at the till at both Morrisons and CoOp.

In both cases they 'honored' the deal (but no more), the CoOp with a
particularly bad grace, when they were definitely in the wrong.

Morrisons was a draw because on reading the small print, one was their
fault, but the other wasn't intended to be combined. I'll ask the
audience about the second: would you expect to be able to buy one
Pastrami and one roast beef from this same range of cooked meats, for a
total of £3?

http://www.perry.co.uk/images/two-for-three-quid.jpg

Not necessarily - the magic word I look for is "any" - i.e. "*any* 2
for £3" (rather than just "2 for £3") - without it, unless there's an
explanatory notice on the shelf that clarifies matters, I'm never
confident of whether the 'multibuy' offer actually encompasses more
than just one single product. And all too often it's not clear, I
find.

Other annoyances are out of date promotional notices (maybe not that
common), or ones that only cover a limited offer but are (mis)placed
near other similar products - e.g. a '2 for 1' offer that only covers
green pesto but isn't all that clear and is too close to the red
pesto. Another common one is the wrong product being restocked in a
shelf space, rendering the shelf price tags wrong.

All good reasons for drawing up one's guard on entering a supermarket
- they're out to get you! (Or rather your dosh.)