Old March 21st 12, 10:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default King's Cross: the Parcel Yard

I'm surprised that the Parcel Yard (new pub and dining area at King's Cross)
hasn't been commented on here. It's at first-floor level between platforms
8 and 9, with rooms looking out onto both the suburban and mainline
platforms. I visited on Monday evening with my daughter and her boyfriend,
for a meal and drinks. Perhaps it would have been better to have waited
until some of the teething problems had been sorted out - problems with
hand-held card readers having no signal in some areas, and confusion over
the process for placing orders - but nevertheless it was an enjoyable
experience. I wonder who had the foresight to realise that this area was
capable of conversion in this way? Would I be right in thinking that this
area has listed status effectively preventing demolition? There is a
surprising number of interconnecting rooms in this area, and it would be
interesting to learn more about their previous uses.

One or two nit-picks about other aspects of the new concourse (which overall
I found very good):

Signage directing passengers to the main (ground-level) barrier line to
platforms 0 to 8 seemed to me to be insufficiently conspicuous; I came
across a few passengers who were clearly struggling to locate it.

The two main departure boards each have 20 panels, showing the next 18
departures or departures for the next 90[*] minutes, whichever is the
fewer; the 19th and 20th panels are summaries of departures and arrivals,
but with no 'headings' to show which is which - you just have to know, or
be capable of working it out.
[*] is 90 minutes the standard cut-off for stations managed by Network Rail?
At stations managed by East Coast, it's 99 minutes.

Old March 22nd 12, 06:42 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 22:54:54 -0000, "John Salmon"
wrote:
[*] is 90 minutes the standard cut-off for stations managed by

Network Rail?
At stations managed by East Coast, it's 99 minutes.

I think it depends on the type of PIS. FGW's appears to have no
cut-off on the platform displays.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK
Old March 22nd 12, 10:53 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"John Salmon" wrote in message

...There is a surprising number of interconnecting rooms in this area,
and it would be interesting to learn more about their previous uses.

I had a look at Camden's planning website about a week ago, back when we
were discussing fairly insignificant matters such as station access routes
and such like, in order to confirm that the pub was on the first and second
floors, and completely on the land side of the barriers.

The application number is 2011/4837/L, and Part 1 of 7 of the 'supporting
documents' appears to describe the building history. The pub outline
design was by Arup!

The two main departure boards each have 20 panels, showing the next 18
departures or departures for the next 90[*] minutes, whichever is the
fewer; the 19th and 20th panels are summaries of departures and arrivals,
but with no 'headings' to show which is which - you just have to know, or
be capable of working it out.

[*] is 90 minutes the standard cut-off for stations managed by Network
Rail? At stations managed by East Coast, it's 99 minutes.

No, I don't think there is a standard, I expect they just put up what will
fit the space available. Otherwise places like Waterloo would probably need
four times as many 'panels' as they've actually got...

Paul S

Old March 22nd 12, 03:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mar 21, 10:54*pm, "John Salmon"
wrote:
I'm surprised that the Parcel Yard (new pub and dining area at King's Cross)
hasn't been commented on here. *It's at first-floor level between platforms
8 and 9, with rooms looking out onto both the suburban and mainline
platforms.

I haven't been up there yet, but wonder if this is in the area of the
old indoor tennis courts that were sealed off (literally) in the late
1980s due to an Anthrax scare? When I worked in the Telephone Enquiry
Bureau (remember those) I often wandered around all the abandoned west
side offices (including the tennis courts).

I passed trough very briefly on Tuesday and got poked by a young girl
with one of those big foam pointing fingers. She was taking her remit
to send people to the departure hall a little too literally. All good
natured stuff but she really was most insistant that I didn't want to
go into the arrivals hall.

Having been a Biggleswade commuter for 20 years (not now) I had to put
up with the idiosyncrasies of the main concourse vs no concourse (1-8
vs 9-11) shambles so I guess FCC passengers have probably gained most
from being in pole position for either main shed or Suburban
departures and with decent facillities. Long overdue.

Richard
Old March 22nd 12, 04:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
, at
08:58:07 on Thu, 22 Mar 2012, Fat richard
remarked:
I passed trough very briefly on Tuesday and got poked by a young girl
with one of those big foam pointing fingers. She was taking her remit
to send people to the departure hall a little too literally. All good
natured stuff but she really was most insistant that I didn't want to
go into the arrivals hall.

I was surprised to see lots of retail still in the Arrivals hall this
morning, I was expecting it to have closed along with the ticket office.

It seems odd to restrict outgoing punters to the choice in the departure
hall, if there's a wider choice by including the arrivals hall.

Old March 22nd 12, 04:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mar 21, 10:54*pm, "John Salmon"
wrote:

I'm surprised that the Parcel Yard (new pub and dining area at King's Cross)
hasn't been commented on here.

Can't afford it to comment on it.

--
Nick
Old March 22nd 12, 04:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
[*] is 90 minutes the standard cut-off for stations managed by

Network Rail?
At stations managed by East Coast, it's 99 minutes.

I think it depends on the type of PIS. FGW's appears to have no
cut-off on the platform displays.

I think I've remarked on this underused platform befo

http://www.ucs.ed.ac.uk/~ercm20/BTM-P4-2.jpg

Bristol TM, platform 4 a few years ago.

Sam

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.
Old March 22nd 12, 04:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mar 22, 4:18*pm, D7666 wrote:
On Mar 21, 10:54*pm, "John Salmon"
wrote:

I'm surprised that the Parcel Yard (new pub and dining area at King's Cross)
hasn't been commented on here.

Can't afford it to comment on it.

--
Nick

Not going to be a wind up location then?

Richard
Old March 22nd 12, 04:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mar 22, 4:28*pm, Fat richard wrote:
On Mar 22, 4:18*pm, D7666 wrote:

On Mar 21, 10:54*pm, "John Salmon"
wrote:

I'm surprised that the Parcel Yard (new pub and dining area at King's Cross)
hasn't been commented on here.

Can't afford it to comment on it.

--
Nick

Not going to be a wind up location then?

Richard

It would appear to be almost under discussion on the wind up group,
but I am a seldom participant these days, indeed, not going this
evening

--
Nick
Old March 22nd 12, 05:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

I'm surprised that the Parcel Yard (new pub and dining area at King's Cross)
hasn't been commented on here.

Can't afford it to comment on it.

--
Nick

ESB £3.95/pint - so very much towards the top-end but not as
expensive as some in London.

Possibly not significantly more expensive than it's ghastly
predecessor -(a Coopers, wasn't it ?)

I think Fullers is a fairly decent fit for the station pub. (Probably
better than the slighly dopey Geronimo/Betjeman next door.)