Old April 18th 12, 11:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Central line trains front end

Are they being fitted with a new front end? It looks different, more red.

B2003

Old April 19th 12, 08:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 17:03:11 +0100
"Richard J." wrote:
wrote on 18 April 2012 12:14:14 ...
Are they being fitted with a new front end? It looks different, more red.

Yes, it's part of the refurbishment programme for the 92 stock, though
the car ends are not necessarily being replaced at the same time as the
other refurbishment work on the train.

Are the original car ends decaying or is it purely aesthetic? I presume the
former.

B2003

Old April 19th 12, 11:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote:

The original cab design let the rain in, with sticky tape having to be
used to cover the join between the cab and the rest of the body.

The recent BBC series on teh Underground had a short clip of the cab swap
incorporated in the title sequence, but I don't think they ever discussed it in
any of the programmes.

Old April 20th 12, 07:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Apr 20, 12:39*am, Robert Neville wrote:
"Richard J." wrote:
The original cab design let the rain in, with sticky tape having to be
used to cover the join between the cab and the rest of the body.

The recent BBC series on teh Underground had a short clip of the cab swap
incorporated in the title sequence, but I don't think they ever discussed it in
any of the programmes.

Please could someone direct to some pictures of the new cabs, for
those of us who haven't seen it?

Thanks

PhilD

Old April 21st 12, 11:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 21:47:18 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote:

"Richard J." wrote:
The original cab design let the rain in, with sticky tape having to be
used to cover the join between the cab and the rest of the body.

The recent BBC series on teh Underground had a short clip of the cab swap
incorporated in the title sequence, but I don't think they ever discussed it in
any of the programmes.

Please could someone direct to some pictures of the new cabs, for
those of us who haven't seen it?

Not my snaps but clear shots of new cab ends in this and subsequent
shots in the set.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2477273...7606550318131/

Thanks -- as it's apparently an all-new moulding, I wonder why they
didn't make it look more different to the original design? That way,
it would have looked more like an all-new train. Or are there too many
hard points behind the moulding to make this impossible?
Old April 23rd 12, 07:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wednesday, 18 April 2012 12:14:14 UTC+1, (unknown) wrote:

Are they being fitted with a new front end? It looks different, more red.

'The order came out over the trunk radio:
"These f*%king trains aren't red enough!! FIX IT!!"'