Old April 24th 12, 11:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default London 2012: TfL details Games rail and Tube hotspots

In message , The Real Doctor
writes

On 23/04/12 11:40, Recliner wrote:
This is true of the Olympics, but won't the Paralympics occur after
the holidays are over, and when most Londoners are back at work?

Yeah, but who wants to watch well meaning occupational therapy?
Families and friends, of course, but that's surely about it.

They must have one helluva lot of family and friends to have sold over a
million Paralympics tickets before the start of this year. A number of
Paralympics events are now totally sold out.
--
Paul Terry

Old April 24th 12, 11:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 12:38:30 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

pedant
The long jump is only 9 metres.
/pedant

You beat me to it! I was looking up the world record on Wikipedia, which
stands at 8.95 m for men (1991) and 7.52 m for women (1988).

--
jhk
Old April 24th 12, 01:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , Roland Perry
writes

For someone camped out near the start of the Marathon or road cycling,
it's not going to be visible for very long, but on the other hand maybe
they don't need a ticket. I wonder how they are doing crowd control for
street events?

Lots of volunteers for the road cycling, backed-up by police, if the
trial run was an accurate guide (I live only a few hundred yards from
the route).

It's true that you don't see individual competitors for long, but by the
return leg the field was spread out enough to take some 10 minutes or so
to pass. The event is free, except for a few select places (such as Box
Hill) where tickets are required.

Although not particularly keen on bike racing, I have to say that just
the blast of air from 20 or so top cyclists flying past in close
formation and at top speed is quite something.
--
Paul Terry

Old April 24th 12, 02:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 24/04/2012 11:40, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:05:02 on
Tue, 24 Apr 2012, Recliner remarked:
Don't forget they have London Southend Airport as well now.

... which is on the right side of London for visitors to Stratford.
Indeed, could it be the most convenient airport apart from LCY for
Olympic visitors who are staying in or near Stratford?

It's a toss-up between Southend and Stansted.

More frequent train service from Southend I think.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old April 24th 12, 03:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 15:31:06 on Tue, 24 Apr
2012, Graeme Wall remarked:
Don't forget they have London Southend Airport as well now.

... which is on the right side of London for visitors to Stratford.
Indeed, could it be the most convenient airport apart from LCY for
Olympic visitors who are staying in or near Stratford?

It's a toss-up between Southend and Stansted.

More frequent train service from Southend I think.

Curiously, the East Coast planner has not been updated to include
Southend Airport station.

Reverting to NRES, it seems to have 3tph at 44 minutes to Stratford.

Stansted has 2ph at 53 min, which is worse, but not excessively so.
Old April 24th 12, 03:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 15:28:48 on Tue, 24 Apr
2012, Graeme Wall remarked:
No doubt somewhere is a website that says what the "shortest event" is.

60m if the olympics has is, otherwise 100m.

High Jump run-up is even shorter

How far is a weightlifter allowed to move/stagger before being
disqualified?
Old April 24th 12, 03:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 24/04/2012 16:31, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:31:06 on Tue, 24 Apr
2012, Graeme Wall remarked:
Don't forget they have London Southend Airport as well now.

... which is on the right side of London for visitors to Stratford.
Indeed, could it be the most convenient airport apart from LCY for
Olympic visitors who are staying in or near Stratford?

It's a toss-up between Southend and Stansted.

More frequent train service from Southend I think.

Curiously, the East Coast planner has not been updated to include
Southend Airport station.

Reverting to NRES, it seems to have 3tph at 44 minutes to Stratford.

Stansted has 2ph at 53 min, which is worse, but not excessively so.

IIRC the Stansted trains are 8 car. What are the Southend line trains
these days?