Old March 29th 12, 12:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default TfL games advertising outside London

Just opened my copy of the Western Gazette (our local weekly here in
Somerset) and found an advertisement from TfL warning about hotspot stations
during the Olympics. How widespread is such advertising?

Old March 29th 12, 01:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:47:58 on
Thu, 29 Mar 2012, Graham Harrison
remarked:
Just opened my copy of the Western Gazette (our local weekly here in
Somerset) and found an advertisement from TfL warning about hotspot
stations during the Olympics. How widespread is such advertising?

Ah, the ambiguous hotspots. Virgin wifi, or crowded platforms?

Presumably the latter, and I expect we'll see a lot more of this over
the coming months. The plans, which involve considerable congestion at
various points, also rely on scaring way non-Olympic traffic.
Old March 29th 12, 01:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 14:41:31 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
Presumably the latter, and I expect we'll see a lot more of this over
the coming months. The plans, which involve considerable congestion at
various points, also rely on scaring way non-Olympic traffic.

Despite what the arrogant buffoons in Locog think most people arn't going to
take 2 weeks off during the olympics nor are they going to work from home or
cycle or walk to work instead of using the tube. So we're going to have
complete chaos on PT and on the roads thanks to the priority lanes. I can't
wait.

B2003

Old March 30th 12, 08:50 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 19:54:00 +0100
Jim Chisholm wrote:
Actually many people take two weeks off at that time of the year. Rail
traffic drops so much on some lines that they remove some peak hour
restrictions.
It is called holidays...

So the whole of london is going to go away on holiday in the same 2 weeks
as the Olympics? Someone better tell the airports and ferry ports or there'll
be chaos!

Meanwhile back in the real world , unless you're a teacher then you don't
get the option of having the whole of the summer off and most people don't
take 2 week holidays anymore anyway. 1 week is the norm these days.

B2003

Old March 30th 12, 10:07 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 10:40:44 +0100
Graeme Wall wrote:
So the whole of london is going to go away on holiday in the same 2 weeks
as the Olympics? Someone better tell the airports and ferry ports or there'll
be chaos!

Apparently a significant percentage of the population are leaving the
country during the Olympics so I suspect the airports and ferry ports
already know.

According to who? And what is a "significant percentage"? Unless its more
than about 20% which I highly doubt then it'll make sod all difference.

B2003

Old March 30th 12, 10:14 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 10:46:56 +0100
Phil Cook wrote:
So the whole of london is going to go away on holiday in the same 2 weeks
as the Olympics? Someone better tell the airports and ferry ports or there'll
be chaos!

It's OK the outgoings will be balanced by incoming. And last time I
looked the Olympics lasted nearer three weeks.

Is it 3? Shows how much interest I have in it. 12 billion quid so a bunch of
egos can run around in circles and chuck sticks and balls around for a few
weeks. A brilliant use of taxpayers money. If its so amazing why isn't it
self financing like almost all other large scale sporting events?

Meanwhile back in the real world , unless you're a teacher then you don't
get the option of having the whole of the summer off and most people don't
take 2 week holidays anymore anyway. 1 week is the norm these days.

Really? Perhaps in your strange world but folk with children will have

Not all "folk" (are you american?) have children and given the recession many
of the ones who do will be struggling to pay the bills, never mind being able
to afford to go away on a 2 week break at the most expensive time of the year.

to take some time off during the summer to fit in with the school
holidays and if you are going any distance it is best to take at least
two weeks off otherwise the travelling time takes a disproportionate
amount out of your holiday.

Sure , if you're going to the far east or australia. You think they'll be the
top destinations then?

B2003

Old March 30th 12, 10:23 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Really? Perhaps in your strange world but folk with children will have to
take some time off during the summer to fit in with the school holidays

You're kidding?

On this side of the pond parents can and do take the kids on holiday anytime
they want.

--
Cheers.

Roger Traviss

Photos of the late HO scale GER: -

http://www.greateasternrailway.com

For more photos not in the above album and kitbashes etc..:-
http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l9...Great_Eastern/