Old May 13th 12, 04:53 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default SPILL Junction trackwork

On May 10, 12:22*pm, 77002 wrote:
On May 9, 10:02*pm, D7666 wrote: The junction to the GN from Thameslink core at St Pancras
International Low Level - for which i do not know the correct name.

Trackwork has started to appear ... I think this must have been done
over the last (may day bank holiday) weekend as I did not notice it in
the week immediately before ... and it definitely was not there in the
week before that.

The switch *"frogs" are not in place but most of the other immediate
track work is there, although it hardly goes more than about half a
panel of plain track back towards the tunnel. At least that is how it
is on the Up Moorgate i.e. the SB track from the GN to Thameslink,
I've not yet closely observed whats there on the Down Moorgate.

One was beginning to think that the GN to Thameslink connection was
being quietly forgotten.

This trackwork has been in place on both sides for a few weeks. I
presume it won't be connected until much closer to the start of
services to Peterborough and Cambridge (King's Lynn?), which have for
a long time been planned for something like 2018, when London Bridge
(with the new Borough viaduct) and the Bermondsey and St John's dive-
under and fly-over work are all completed.

Old May 15th 12, 07:19 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

"Luap" wrote

This trackwork has been in place on both sides for a few weeks. I
presume it won't be connected until much closer to the start of
services to Peterborough and Cambridge (King's Lynn?), which have for
a long time been planned for something like 2018, when London Bridge
(with the new Borough viaduct) and the Bermondsey and St John's dive-
under and fly-over work are all completed.

AIUI the new Thameslink stock is going to be maintained at a new depot at
Hornsey - so the connection will be needed as soon as the new stock starts
arriving. Not yet, but well before 2018.

Peter

Old May 15th 12, 02:18 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On May 15, 8:19*am, "Peter Masson" wrote:

AIUI the new Thameslink stock is going to be maintained at a new depot at
Hornsey - so the connection will be needed as soon as the new stock starts
arriving. Not yet, but well before 2018.

I am not sure this is true any longer. But I am not sure where we are
with this particular matter now.

Before stock went to tender that seemed to be the plan - possibly
largely promoted by the incumbent franchisee. Siemens are the
preferred bidder with an all in build and maintain bid. ISTR reading
Three Bridges is their preferred heavy maintenance base rather like
Northam is to the SWT fleet.

Also, think the Hornsey idea was floated around before the idea of
fixed formation 12car EMU came about. Yes the depot is the one place a
12car unit is allowed to be split, but I suggest depot would not
split them for anything other than exceptional work but keep them
coupled. In turn that means depot facilities including lifting full
12car length which I do not recall was in the Hornsey expansion plans.

With FCC, Hornsey is already the major 319 base, Bedford is an
outbase. There is already a daily Hornsey - Bedford stock transfer
via circuituitous route. That could continue for the new units,
assuming cleared route, and I see no reason why it would not be
cleared. 377/5s have also made occasional trips to Hornsey but so far
they are new enough and with different exam cycles to not be going
there routinely.

One linked point. Once Included in the TL Project was OLE wiring of
Carlton Road Junction - Junction Road Junction as an alternative AC
route for Hornsey depot access. Indeed I beleive FCC were themselves
proposing funding it. I've heard no mention of this since the first
proposal annoucement. has this died a death or something thats still
to happen but a long way off ?

--
Nick
Old May 15th 12, 02:58 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

"D7666" wrote in message
[...]

There has been a definite change in the relative sizes of Hornsey and Three
Bridges, since the objections to the Hornsey depot, but as of September last
year the plans definitely still indicate Hornsey is to be for Thameslink
units.

Harringay council approved it in September, see Table 1 in section 6.2.3 of
the Planning Sub-Committee Report, which compares the before and after
sizes, but it is still 12 car length AFAICT.

http://www.minutes.haringey.gov.uk/m....aspx?ID=22945

Also, Siemens announced that their Project Director - Depots is covering
both sites...

http://www.siemens.co.uk/en/news_pre...oject-team.htm

Paul S

Old May 15th 12, 03:02 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

Also, Siemens announced that their Project Director - Depots is covering
both sites...

http://www.siemens.co.uk/en/news_pre...oject-team.htm

PS - that latter press release was only just over a fortnight ago, on April
30th 2012

Paul S

Old May 15th 12, 04:23 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

http://www.siemens.co.uk/en/news_pre...ve/siemens-str...

PS - that latter press release was only just over a fortnight ago, on April
30th 2012

Paul S

thanks

--
Nick
Old May 15th 12, 04:33 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On May 15, 5:23*pm, D7666 wrote:

Also, Siemens announced that their Project Director - Depots is covering
both sites...

thanks

Missed a bit. Well missed a lot.

I believe the work at Hornsey is now no more than what they'd have to
do to deal that part of the fleet to operating on the GN anyway,
approx. one third by TPH traffic flow, rather than the original idea
which was the whole fleet, GN side and MML side, based there.

--
Nick