Old June 3rd 12, 10:04 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default London Overground in chaos

Paul Corfield wrote on 03 June 2012 09:25:47 ...
On Sat, 2 Jun 2012 12:45:20 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

From nationalrail.co.uk:

Incident created 02/06/2012 19:59 Last updated20:34 - 02/06/2012
Route affected
Stratford, Dalston Kingsland, Camden Road, Gospel Oak, West Hampstead,
Kensal Rise, Willesden Junction, Shepherds Bush, Kensington Olympia,
West Brompton, Imperial Wharf& Clapham Junction / Acton Central,
South Acton, Gunnersbury, Kew Gardens& Richmond
Train operator affected London Overground
Description
Overhead wire problems are causing disruption near Willesden Junction.

Because of this, the following changes will apply until further
notice:
There are currently no trains between Willesden Junction and Clapham
Junction
There are currently no trains between Stratford and Richmond
Journeys may be delayed by up to 60 minutes

Passengers may use London Underground services on all reasonable
routes.

And it is still ongoing with trains seemingly now running via Primrose
Road between Camden Rd and Willesden Junction. Trains aren't serving
trains west of Kentish Town West. Whatever brought the wires down at
Willesden did a good job if it can't be fixed overnight.

National Rail were saying last night that they hoped to have it fixed by
this morning. It sounds as if they re-opened the line but a train
brought the wires down again. Latest tweet says "Repairs to overhead
line will start after 9am - once we've moved the trapped train."

It's even affecting GOBLIN (which was partly suspended anyway for
engineering work today), presumably because they can't get the DMUs to
Gospel Oak.
--
Richard J.

Old June 3rd 12, 10:16 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Corfield View Post
And it is still ongoing with trains seemingly now running via Primrose
Road between Camden Rd and Willesden Junction. Trains aren't serving
trains west of Kentish Town West. Whatever brought the wires down at
Willesden did a good job if it can't be fixed overnight.
--
Paul C
Yesterday I travelled from Stratford to West Hampstead via Kentish Town West.
Old June 3rd 12, 10:19 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Jun 3, 11:00*am, Peter Heather wrote:
On Jun 3, 9:09*am, e27002 wrote:

On Jun 2, 10:39*pm, "Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote:
e27002 wrote:

**However, until
1996 the mailing address was CHESSINGTON, Surrey. *And, many residents
think of themselves as part of Surrey. *None-the-less, they pay
Council Tax to the GLA.

This would be well and good if they had voted to become Londoners.
They never did. *In 1974 they simply woke up within the GLC.

Actually it was 1965. And I'm not sure it was that much of a surprise.
Further east, Caterham and Warlingham UDC succesfully campaigned to be
left out of Greater London, only to be swallowed up into the
ridiculously named Tandridge District in 1974. Pity really as I would
be entitled to a Freedom Pass by now and our roads would be maintained
to a higher standard than the pathetic Surrey County Council manage.

Not part of the 1975 Local Government re-organizations then?

The new mega boroughs and districts are awful. Bognor Regis is now
run from Littlehampton. Like Littlehampton gives a damn.

We lost the borough of Paddington (to the City of Westminster).
Nonsense, all of it.

Old June 3rd 12, 10:34 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

e27002 wrote:

**However, until
1996 the mailing address was CHESSINGTON, Surrey. *And, many residents
think of themselves as part of Surrey. *None-the-less, they pay
Council Tax to the GLA.

This would be well and good if they had voted to become Londoners.
They never did. *In 1974 they simply woke up within the GLC.

Actually it was 1965. And I'm not sure it was that much of a surprise.
Further east, Caterham and Warlingham UDC succesfully campaigned to be
left out of Greater London, only to be swallowed up into the
ridiculously named Tandridge District in 1974. Pity really as I would
be entitled to a Freedom Pass by now and our roads would be maintained
to a higher standard than the pathetic Surrey County Council manage.

But, you would be paying council tax at Surrey rates instead of GLA
rates.

Old June 3rd 12, 10:39 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Jun 3, 11:36*am, "
wrote:
On 02/06/2012 22:15, Jarle H Knudsen wrote:

On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 20:59:38 +0100, wrote:
On 02/06/2012 20:09, Paul Corfield wrote:

* *My view is that Boris will be "rewarded" for his
Mayoral election victory by government agreeing to either fund
Overground improvements or devolve some franchises to TfL control or
possibly both. I think there is some heavyweight lobbying going on at
the moment.

Which franchises, for example, Northern City Line?

Doesn't the services that run on that line terminate well outside London?

Welwyn Garden City is 20 miles out of Kings Cross station, whereas
Amersham is 23.7 miles from Charing Cross

TfL also ran services out to Aylesbury, which is almost 38 miles from
Marlylebone, until 1961.

The Metropolitan Ralway ran to Verney Junction where one could change
for Bletchley and Banbury. So much for progress.

Upminster is 16 miles out from Charing Cross, though I don't know how
far out Watford Junction is from Euston.

Don't forget that services once ran as far out as Ongar.

Paris' RATP operates lines RER Lines A and B, though I don't know how
far out they go from the centre of town or their respective Zero Miles.

Old June 3rd 12, 10:39 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

e27002 wrote:

**However, until
1996 the mailing address was CHESSINGTON, Surrey. *And, many residents
think of themselves as part of Surrey. *None-the-less, they pay
Council Tax to the GLA.

This would be well and good if they had voted to become Londoners.
They never did. *In 1974 they simply woke up within the GLC.

Actually it was 1965. And I'm not sure it was that much of a surprise.
Further east, Caterham and Warlingham UDC succesfully campaigned to be
left out of Greater London, only to be swallowed up into the
ridiculously named Tandridge District in 1974. Pity really as I would
be entitled to a Freedom Pass by now and our roads would be maintained
to a higher standard than the pathetic Surrey County Council manage.

But, you would be paying council tax at Surrey rates instead of GLA
rates.

Surrey council tax rates are slightly higher than Sutton:
Surrey:
http://www.surreyheath.gov.uk/ctbene...ciltax1213.htm
Sutton: http://www.sutton.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=9145
Old June 3rd 12, 11:14 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 03:39:04 -0700 (PDT), e27002
wrote:

On Jun 3, 11:36*am, "
wrote:
On 02/06/2012 22:15, Jarle H Knudsen wrote:

On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 20:59:38 +0100, wrote:
On 02/06/2012 20:09, Paul Corfield wrote:
* *My view is that Boris will be "rewarded" for his
Mayoral election victory by government agreeing to either fund
Overground improvements or devolve some franchises to TfL control or
possibly both. I think there is some heavyweight lobbying going on at
the moment.

Which franchises, for example, Northern City Line?

Doesn't the services that run on that line terminate well outside London?

Welwyn Garden City is 20 miles out of Kings Cross station, whereas
Amersham is 23.7 miles from Charing Cross

TfL also ran services out to Aylesbury, which is almost 38 miles from
Marlylebone, until 1961.

The Metropolitan Ralway ran to Verney Junction where one could change
for Bletchley and Banbury. So much for progress.

Of course this was when the Met was a private company with mainline
ambitions, not part of the LPTB; after it became part of the LPTB, the
Brill and Verney Junction lines were closed in quick succession. But
it's interesting that the former LPTB did cover an area with a radius
of ~30 miles from Charing Cross, so there is a precedent for train and
bus services outside the GLC area being run by TfL's predecessor body.
See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_...Transport_Area
Old June 3rd 12, 03:00 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

e27002 wrote:

You can put "Chessington", "Chessington, Surrey", "Chessington, London",
"Chessington, Greater London", "Chessington, Occupied Surrey",
"Chessington,
Neverneverland" or "Chessington, [Whatever]" on a postal address. Royal
Mail
no longer require counties to be included - they gave up in 1996 around
the
time of technological advancements and yet another round of local
government
reorganisation changing county boundaries.

Understood. And it was a good thing. AFIK, the UK was the only
entity still utilizing counties in mailing addresses. However, until
1996 the mailing address was CHESSINGTON, Surrey. And, many residents
think of themselves as part of Surrey. None-the-less, they pay
Council Tax to the GLA.

This would be well and good if they had voted to become Londoners.
They never did. In 1974 they simply woke up within the GLC.

1965 actually.

Southwark, Putney, Wimbledon, et al, suffered the same fate in 1889.

The London County Council broadly followed the Metropolitan Board of Works
boundary. The metropolis had already reached that far.

No liberals screaming for democracy on this one!

Too late I'm afraid. There wasn't a tradition of local referendums on these
things back then (or even now) but their neighbours in Epsom & Ewell kickd
up enough fuss about the initial proposed boundary to get it revised for
their exclusion (hence on the map Chessington looks like a penis).

During the last GLA count we had hilarity when one ballot came up with a
written message saying it was a disgrace the election was happening because
Chislehurst voted by 95% against the Mayor & Assembly. The world does not
revolve around Chislehurst.
--
My blog: http://adf.ly/4hi4c

Old June 3rd 12, 04:06 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

e27002 wrote:
**However, until
1996 the mailing address was CHESSINGTON, Surrey. *And, many residents
think of themselves as part of Surrey. *None-the-less, they pay
Council Tax to the GLA.

Nobody pays council tax to the GLA, it is paid to the local burgh with
the GLA and Met Police taking their cut.