London Banter

-   -   Tube Wifi (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/13117-tube-wifi.html)

Roland Perry June 12th 12 08:10 PM

Tube Wifi

In message , at 19:43:45 on
Tue, 12 Jun 2012, Jarle H Knudsen remarked:
Dedicated or prioritized (QoS) bandwidth for VoIP over DSL is no problem.
My DSL router is configured with a dedicated port for the VoIP adapter to
achieve this, together with some configuration on the DSLAM side.

QoS won't help you if there is congestion at the exchange or anywhere along
the line.

While this is true, if you get a VoIP number from your internet provider,
the calls will not be routed over the regular Inernet, so this will not be
a problem.

Which doesn't help if the congestion is between your exchange and your
Internet provider (on the BT wholesale backhaul, normally). Which is
where the congestion experienced by most domestic users in the UK
occurs, unfortunately.

The point beeing that it's perfectly possible to provide the
same quality as POTS over IP.

It is, but only at some expense.

redcat June 12th 12 08:17 PM

Tube Wifi

On 6/12/2012 9:01 AM, Neil Williams wrote:
Roland wrote:

I'd be expecting most of the calls from other landlines.

A generational thing I think. I have a landline but pretty much never use
it. As soon as I can get Internet access to my house without it (not a
cabled area) I will get rid of it.

Neil

I have a landline and a mobile. But I barely use the phone. I don't
text, either.

RC

Tony Dragon June 12th 12 09:25 PM

Tube Wifi

On 08/06/2012 15:04, Matthew Dickinson wrote:
Wifi seems to have been launched at Kings Cross St Pancras and Warren Street today.

There was a poster at Southwark today saying wi-fi would be there soon.

Ian Cunningham[_2_] June 13th 12 12:39 AM

Tube Wifi

On 12/06/2012 16:07, wrote:

Even if you were in a cabled area you'd have to pay for a Virgin Media
landline even if you didn't use it.

Not necessarily true - we've got a "tinternet and telly" package from
Virgin

Ian

Neil Williams June 13th 12 06:22 AM

Tube Wifi

Ian Cunningham wrote:

Not necessarily true - we've got a "tinternet and telly" package from Virgin

We have such a package in the company flat in Switzerland as well.
Generally that sort of thing is offered on cable. It wouldn't take BT much
effort to offer it as well rather than the stupid idea that you have to pay
line rental and pay extra if you don't make any calls. The line would be
there, but it needn't be necessary to plug a phone into it, nor to be able
to call it.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK. Put first name before the at to reply.

[email protected] June 13th 12 09:05 AM

Tube Wifi

In article

, (Neil Williams) wrote:

Ian Cunningham wrote:

Not necessarily true - we've got a "tinternet and telly" package
from Virgin

We have such a package in the company flat in Switzerland as well.
Generally that sort of thing is offered on cable. It wouldn't take BT
much effort to offer it as well rather than the stupid idea that you have
to pay line rental and pay extra if you don't make any calls. The line
would be there, but it needn't be necessary to plug a phone into it, nor
to be able to call it.

In this country you only have what you can agree with Virgin Media if you
want cable. It's a long time since I saw an offer that didn't have "plus £x
for a phone line" in the small print. As they will knock amounts off bills I
suspect you still pay for a landline even if you have a deal.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] June 13th 12 09:19 AM

Tube Wifi

On 12 Jun 2012 19:06:35 GMT
Neil Williams wrote:
Jarle H Knudsen wrote:

While this is true, if you get a VoIP number from your internet provider,
the calls will not be routed over the regular Inernet, so this will not be
a problem. The point beeing that it's perfectly possible to provide the
same quality as POTS over IP.

Most office telephone systems are run over IP these days, indeed. Much
cheaper to install only one set of wiring.

Oh don't they just. If a bridge or router dies the phone system dies and
if you want to move a phone the bloody thing takes 2 minutes to reboot.
Its pathetic.

B2003

[email protected] June 13th 12 09:24 AM

Tube Wifi

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 04:05:40 -0500
wrote:
In this country you only have what you can agree with Virgin Media if you
want cable. It's a long time since I saw an offer that didn't have "plus £x
for a phone line" in the small print. As they will knock amounts off bills I
suspect you still pay for a landline even if you have a deal.

We've got internet only with virgin. If they suddenly required us to pay
for a phone line too we dump them and go back to BT DSL.

B2003

[email protected] June 13th 12 10:13 AM

Tube Wifi

wrote:
In this country you only have what you can agree with Virgin Media if you
want cable. It's a long time since I saw an offer that didn't have "plus
£x for a phone line" in the small print. As they will knock amounts off
bills I suspect you still pay for a landline even if you have a deal.

We've got internet only with virgin. If they suddenly required us to pay
for a phone line too we dump them and go back to BT DSL.

How much are you paying though? It could be the same as you would pay them
for internet plus phone.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] June 13th 12 10:30 AM

Tube Wifi

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:13:50 -0500
wrote:
In article ,
d ()

wrote:
In this country you only have what you can agree with Virgin Media if you
want cable. It's a long time since I saw an offer that didn't have "plus
£x for a phone line" in the small print. As they will knock amounts off
bills I suspect you still pay for a landline even if you have a deal.

We've got internet only with virgin. If they suddenly required us to pay
for a phone line too we dump them and go back to BT DSL.

How much are you paying though? It could be the same as you would pay them
for internet plus phone.

20 something a month. Can't remember the exact amount.

B2003