London Banter

-   -   Tube Wifi (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/13117-tube-wifi.html)

[email protected] June 13th 12 11:36 AM

Tube Wifi

In article , d ()
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:13:50 -0500
wrote:
In article ,
d ()
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 04:05:40 -0500
wrote:
In this country you only have what you can agree with Virgin Media if
you want cable. It's a long time since I saw an offer that didn't have
"plus £x for a phone line" in the small print. As they will knock
amounts off bills I suspect you still pay for a landline even if you
have a deal.

We've got internet only with virgin. If they suddenly required us to
pay for a phone line too we dump them and go back to BT DSL.

How much are you paying though? It could be the same as you would pay
them for internet plus phone.

20 something a month. Can't remember the exact amount.

Sounds the same as I pay, including a phone line.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

David Cantrell June 13th 12 12:08 PM

Tube Wifi

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:11:01AM +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

As for having a landline, I need it for ADSL. I also think it's a bit
rude to expect friends and family to call an expensive mobile number
rather than a landline.

I think it's a bit rude of people to expect me to pay to receieve calls
from them. Cos that's what having a landline would mean.

Repent through spending

David Cantrell June 13th 12 01:41 PM

Tube Wifi

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 10:07:51AM -0500, wrote:

Even if you were in a cabled area you'd have to pay for a Virgin Media
landline even if you didn't use it.

These days they'll sell you interweb without phone service.

" In My Egotistical Opinion, most people's ... programs should be
indented six feet downward and covered with dirt. "
--Blair P. Houghton

David Cantrell June 13th 12 01:48 PM

Tube Wifi

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:20:52AM +0000, d wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 12:57:35 +0200
Jarle H Knudsen wrote:
According to this [1] article in Norwegian, the landline voice network in
Norway will be decommissioned before 2017. Telenor says spare parts are in
practice not produced any more and the suppliers will end support in 2017.
New telephones that looks like and is operated like a traditional
telephone, but with a mobile antenna, will be on sale, and also boxes you
can plug your old phone into. These will have much better antennas than
regular mobiles.

Sounds a very stupid decision made by people who only care about the bottom
line. Land lines allow emergency services to pinpoint someone precisely,
mobiles don't.

More and more phones these days have GPS, and in some countries there
are regulations saying that that data has to be available to the
emergency services.

--
David Cantrell |
http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

Godliness is next to Englishness

[email protected] June 13th 12 04:32 PM

Tube Wifi

wrote:

Even if you were in a cabled area you'd have to pay for a Virgin
Media landline even if you didn't use it.

These days they'll sell you interweb without phone service.

Evidence?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry June 13th 12 06:14 PM

Tube Wifi

In message , at 13:08:31
on Wed, 13 Jun 2012, David Cantrell remarked:
As for having a landline, I need it for ADSL. I also think it's a bit
rude to expect friends and family to call an expensive mobile number
rather than a landline.

I think it's a bit rude of people to expect me to pay to receieve calls
from them. Cos that's what having a landline would mean.

So which rudeness is worse? At least the landline cost is fixed each
month, and not per minute of call made.

Neil Williams June 13th 12 06:37 PM

Tube Wifi

Roland Perry wrote:

So which rudeness is worse? At least the landline cost is fixed each
month, and not per minute of call made.

Is it also rude that I am out an awful lot and thus unlikely to answer my
landline except at a pre arranged time?

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK. Put first name before the at to reply.

Roland Perry June 13th 12 07:09 PM

Tube Wifi

In message

..net, at 18:37:23 on Wed, 13 Jun 2012, Neil Williams
remarked:
So which rudeness is worse? At least the landline cost is fixed each
month, and not per minute of call made.

Is it also rude that I am out an awful lot and thus unlikely to answer my
landline except at a pre arranged time?

No, that's just life; and your mileage varying. Someone is "in" at our
household most of the time.

[email protected] June 13th 12 09:20 PM

Tube Wifi

On 12/06/2012 12:29, Jarle H Knudsen wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 11:20:52 +0000 (UTC), d wrote:

Sounds a very stupid decision made by people who only care about the bottom
line. Land lines allow emergency services to pinpoint someone precisely,
mobiles don't. The "we can't get the parts argument" usually means "we don't
want to pay to upgrade the parts".

Telenor is currently loosing about 6,000 landline customers every month.
Norway has a population of just over 5,000,000.

There is also little point in trying to install any sort of fixed line
networks in parts of East Africa or the Republic of South Africa.

[email protected] June 13th 12 09:21 PM

Tube Wifi

On 12/06/2012 11:57, Jarle H Knudsen wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 11:11:01 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 08:39:16 on Tue, 12 Jun
2012, d remarked:
It was also a very high-functioning cordless phone for use a home.
Despite several attempts, I don't think there's yet a comparable
solution that's caught on (a single phone to use cordless at home and
wireless at large).

That sounds like a solution that no longer has a problem. A lot of people
don't even have landlines at home now , they just rely on their mobiles.
Which is probably fine until there's an emergency and you can't find it.

Mobiles are much more common now, the Rabbit was withdrawn at the same
time as Hutchison PCN was launched - you probably know it as "Orange".

And it was several years after that before PAYG was introduced, so
mobile phones weren't just more per minute than a Rabbit, but typically
also needed a £30/month subscription. And obviously you had to but two
phones - a mobile and a cordless, because mobiles weren't free.

As for having a landline, I need it for ADSL. I also think it's a bit
rude to expect friends and family to call an expensive mobile number
rather than a landline.

According to this [1] article in Norwegian, the landline voice network in
Norway will be decommissioned before 2017. Telenor says spare parts are in
practice not produced any more and the suppliers will end support in 2017.
New telephones that looks like and is operated like a traditional
telephone, but with a mobile antenna, will be on sale, and also boxes you
can plug your old phone into. These will have much better antennas than
regular mobiles.

Apparently, the biggest challenge lies in converting systems relying on the
landline network, like burglar alarms, and safety alarms for the elderly.

[1]
http://www.amobil.no/artikler/over-o...lefonen/110094

Kind of like analog television here in Britain. Are other European
countries planning to do this?