Old June 8th 12, 02:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tube Wifi

Wifi seems to have been launched at Kings Cross St Pancras and Warren Street today.

Old June 8th 12, 04:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 08/06/2012 15:04, Matthew Dickinson wrote:
Wifi seems to have been launched at Kings Cross St Pancras
and Warren Street today.

Press release dated 1 June:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/newscentre/24177.aspx

(Future archived URL will be:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/newscentre/archive/24177.aspx)

"[...] around 80 stations WiFi enabled by the end of July"
"Service on track for up to 120 stations connected by end of 2012."

The footnote of the press release has a list of stations "planned for
installation by the end of July 2012" - I'm not sure if the order of the
list has any significance, but if it has I can't see what it is!
Old June 8th 12, 06:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

But how do you actually get it?
Old June 8th 12, 07:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:20:59 on Fri, 8 Jun 2012,
Mizter T remarked:

Press release dated 1 June:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/newscentre/24177.aspx

The footnote of the press release has a list of stations "planned for
installation by the end of July 2012" - I'm not sure if the order of
the list has any significance, but if it has I can't see what it is!

I can't see a pattern yet.

Notable omissions (either because nearby stations of similar importance
are covered, or they are on/within the Circle):

Heathrow T5, Whitechapel, Baker St, Great Portland St, Farringdon,
Moorgate, Aldgate, Monument, Cannon St, Blackfriars, Sloane Square,
South Ken, Gloucester Rd, Notting Hill, Bond St, Tottenham Court Rd,
Bank, Knightsbridge, Russell Square, Earl's Court, Hammersmith (H&C),
Paddington (H&C).

[They seem to be positively shunning stations on Crossrail!)
Old June 9th 12, 10:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I think free WiFi has a potential to increase the time passengers spend in
stations, leading to increased crowding levels. Has this been discussed?

--
jhk

Old June 9th 12, 01:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 09/06/2012 13:28, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 12:05:44 +0200, Jarle H Knudsen
wrote:

I think free WiFi has a potential to increase the time passengers spend in
stations, leading to increased crowding levels. Has this been discussed?

Interesting observation. Don't know if it has formed part of any
discussion or safety risk assessment.

Your comment though has made me wonder what will happen if the tube
service goes "tits up" and loads of people stand around trying to log
into the wi-fi system. People go into "mindless mode" readily enough
on the surface when fiddling with their phones. Having people paying
no attention on escalators or close to platform edges doesn't bare
thinking about.

There's a town in New Jersey that has started levying fines on people
who are walking about on the street, with their noses buried into their
iPhones.

Old June 10th 12, 09:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Saturday, 9 June 2012 11:05:44 UTC+1, Jarle H Knudsen wrote:
I think free WiFi has a potential to increase the time passengers spend in
stations, leading to increased crowding levels. Has this been discussed?

--
jhk

That was my first thought - that platforms will be full of freeloaders with iPads and the exits to stations will be crammed with lunatic lefties with laptops.
Very dangerous.
Old June 10th 12, 10:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 09/06/2012 21:15, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Fri, 8 Jun 2012 07:04:02 -0700 (PDT), Matthew Dickinson
wrote:

Wifi seems to have been launched at Kings Cross St Pancras and Warren Street today.

Victoria and Euston have apparently been brought into service.

Say, instead of installing wi-fi and having hipsters cram stations
looking at their "really cool" websites or blogs, why don't the mobile
service providers simply work on installing regular service -- at least
within stations.

Old June 10th 12, 12:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:57:27 on Sun, 10 Jun
2012, " remarked:
Say, instead of installing wi-fi and having hipsters cram stations
looking at their "really cool" websites or blogs, why don't the mobile
service providers simply work on installing regular service -- at least
within stations.

They did, but it proved to be too expense. And if there were all
networks represented, with no domestic roaming, it would be up to 4x
that expensive