Old June 16th 12, 12:42 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London
Default Bus Drivers And The Olympics

I've just been listening to Ken Livingstone and Steve Norris
on LBC chatting about the possible bus drivers' strike. This
has been brought about by the demand from the trade union
UNITE that bus drivers should be paid a bonus in recognition of
the stress and extra work during the Olympics and the bus
companies' refusal even to discuss the matter with UNITE.

The conversation was very interesting and drew a varied response
from the listeners. One point which came up repeatedly was that
of all the transport workers, bus drivers will experience the most
stress during the Olympics and that if train drivers receive a bonus,
so should bus drivers.

Any bus passengers have a view on this?
Old June 16th 12, 03:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin9" wrote in message
I've just been listening to Ken Livingstone and Steve Norris
on LBC chatting about the possible bus drivers' strike. This
has been brought about by the demand from the trade union
UNITE that bus drivers should be paid a bonus in recognition of
the stress and extra work during the Olympics and the bus
companies' refusal even to discuss the matter with UNITE.

The conversation was very interesting and drew a varied response
from the listeners. One point which came up repeatedly was that
of all the transport workers, bus drivers will experience the most
stress during the Olympics and that if train drivers receive a bonus,
so should bus drivers.

Any bus passengers have a view on this?

Train drivers shouldn't receive a bonus either.

Next question?

--
Brian

Old June 16th 12, 03:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16/06/2012 13:42, Robin9 wrote:
I've just been listening to Ken Livingstone and Steve Norris
on LBC chatting about the possible bus drivers' strike. This
has been brought about by the demand from the trade union
UNITE that bus drivers should be paid a bonus in recognition of
the stress and extra work during the Olympics and the bus
companies' refusal even to discuss the matter with UNITE.

The conversation was very interesting and drew a varied response
from the listeners. One point which came up repeatedly was that
of all the transport workers, bus drivers will experience the most
stress during the Olympics and that if train drivers receive a bonus,
so should bus drivers.

Any bus passengers have a view on this?

Well - it's yet to be proven how much additional ridership and effort it
will be. The other thing to note that with the increase in capacity on
certain routes I'd have assumed that there may well be greater
opportunities for drivers to earn overtime and so on (giving them
greater income anyway).

Also, given that I assume bus drivers are paid based on time rather than
miles driven then what exactly is there additional workload over and
above their potential extra time getting to their depots or other driver
changeover points (the majority of which are not in the key central
areas which are going to be heavily affected by the Olympics in general).

In fact, the people who are primarily going to be affected are the usual
passengers with journeys taking longer, less opportunity to get a seat
and so on - are we to be compensated with lower fares as our bonus?
Thought no.

Of course, absolutely the same applies to train drivers and workers on
the DLR and so on - the only rationale for the bonus is essentially a
bung to try and make sure they do their contracted job correctly and
don't attempt to cripple London by striking during a time when it is key
to showcase the City (for everyone).
Old June 16th 12, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 16:46:10 +0100, Someone Somewhere
wrote:

[...]

I thought LU drivers were paid salaries, not hours+overtime, so the
bonus is to compensate for the extra hours and shift flexibility
during the Olympics. But bus drivers do get overtime, so that's how
they should earn extra money for any extra time worked.
Old July 23rd 12, 08:13 AM
Junior Member

Location: London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recliner[_2_] View Post
wrote:

[...]

I am agree with you, there should be legal right for those driver depending their work, they also have right to get right value of their work.
On this matter organization should have to take action.

-Thanks for supporting

Old July 23rd 12, 10:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 09:13:19 +0100
Mikehassy wrote:
I am agree with you, there should be legal right for those driver
depending their work, they also have right to get right value of their
work.
On this matter organization should have to take action.

-Thanks for supporting

So you think they should get paid via overtime or do you think they should get
a lump sum beforehand AND overtime which is what is happening?

Funny how whenever the grasping bus union reps are asked if the drivers would
be willing to work for less on quiet days they always dodge giving an answer.

B2003

Old June 16th 12, 03:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:42:30 on Sat, 16
Jun 2012, Robin9 remarked:
One point which came up repeatedly was that
of all the transport workers, bus drivers will experience the most
stress during the Olympics and that if train drivers receive a bonus,
so should bus drivers.

I thought the train drivers were getting a bonus for agreeing not to go
on strike, and working more flexible hours. Or are these defined as
"stress" today?
Old June 16th 12, 06:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2012\06\16 13:42, Robin9 wrote:
I've just been listening to Ken Livingstone and Steve Norris
on LBC chatting about the possible bus drivers' strike. This
has been brought about by the demand from the trade union
UNITE that bus drivers should be paid a bonus in recognition of
the stress and extra work during the Olympics and the bus
companies' refusal even to discuss the matter with UNITE.

The conversation was very interesting and drew a varied response
from the listeners. One point which came up repeatedly was that
of all the transport workers, bus drivers will experience the most
stress during the Olympics and that if train drivers receive a bonus,
so should bus drivers.

I don't see how bus drivers will undergo any stress. They'll be stuck in
more jams, but I have never seen a bus driver blamed by passengers for a
jam, and I presume they won't be blamed by their managers either. Taxi
drivers and minicab drivers are the only transport workers who will
suffer stress during the Olympics.
Old June 17th 12, 02:52 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

There's a real possibility that many taxi drivers and private hire drivers will earn less
during the Olympics, not more. There's a time bomb waiting to go off and I suspect
most Londoners are not yet aware of it. This time bomb is called Olympic Lanes.
In at least some locations, these Olympic Lanes will at peak times cause chaos,
including chaos for bus passengers and the emergency services.

The Olympic Lanes are designated lanes set aside exclusively for the use of Olympic
athletes and officials. Buses and taxis will not be allowed to travel in Olympic lanes.
So far, so bad. It gets worse. Unlike the position with bus lanes, it will be illegal to
cross an Olympic Lane. Whereas with a bus lane a vehicle may cross the lane to turn
either right or left, that is not permissable with an Olympic lane. Instead the hapless
motorist must proceed, possibly for a mile or two, until the Olympic lane ends and then
make a wide detour without crossing any other Olympic Lane to arrive back where he
wanted to be.

Compounding this formula for chaos is another feature. At certain major road junctions,
Olympic Lanes will be imposed, forbidding other vehicles from entering and exiting.
Two examples.

1) The Green Man Roundabout in Leytonstone. This is a major junction and straddles the
A12 dual carriageway between outer East London and the Blackwall Tunnel. It is a very
busy roundabout. During the Olympics, motorists heading towards the Blackwall Tunnel will
not be allowed to join the A12 from The Green Man. In the morning rush hour this will cause
massive traffic congestion. I suspect the whole area will seize up. Motorists needing to access
the A12 will have to improvise. Most will aim for the Redbridge Roundabout which is already
hugely over-subscribed during the morning peak. Some, aiming for Hackney, will try Lee
Bridge Road via Whipps Cross Road. However Lee Bridge Road is already hopelesly inadequate
during the morning peak. (Thank you TfL for sabotaging Lee Bridge Road and reducing its
capacity enormously) So it is almost certain that Lee Bridge Road and Whipps Cross Road will
come to a standstill. I'd feel sorry for any taxi or private hire driver who has to take someone to
Whipps Cross Hospital beween 7 and 10 0-clock.

2) Hackney Marshes. This A12 junction is adjacent to the Olympic Park and only Olympic athletes
and officials will be allowed to exit from the A12 during the Olympics. Motorists coming to Hackney
via the Blackwall Tunnel will presumably come off the A12 either at Old Ford - already overloaded
during the morning rush hour and soon to be worse: yes TfL are installing traffic lights to reduce
capacity still further - or at The Green Man (see above). Motorists from the other direction will
presumably come off at Old Ford and try their luck. There is no chance at all of Old Ford being able
during the morning peak to handle "refugee" traffic from the Hackney Marshes junction in addition
to the usual traffic volume. I'd feel sorry for any taxi or private hire driver taking someone
to the London Chest Hospital beween 7 and 10 0-clock.

Unless there is a huge reduction in normal traffic, for example everyone taking their holiday during
the Olympics, complete gridlock in Leytonstone and Old Ford is inevitable during the morning peak.

Many taxi drivers are taking an extended holiday during the Olympics because they believe it will
be impossible to move about and earn money. Many minicab drivers intend to boycott the Olympics
because they cannot afford to be stuck in traffic jams.

If there is not the required enormous reduction in road traffic and chaos does result, the likely
"legacy" of the Olympics will be that many Londoners will hate the Olympic Games more intensely
than they ever hated anything else. It is most unlikely that many taxi or private hire drivers will
look back with any affection.
Old June 17th 12, 06:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Saturday, 16 June 2012 13:42:30 UTC+1, Robin9 wrote:

Any bus passengers have a view on this?

I have strong and interesting views on this but I am not a bus passenger.