Old June 16th 12, 12:42 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London
Default Bus Drivers And The Olympics

I've just been listening to Ken Livingstone and Steve Norris
on LBC chatting about the possible bus drivers' strike. This
has been brought about by the demand from the trade union
UNITE that bus drivers should be paid a bonus in recognition of
the stress and extra work during the Olympics and the bus
companies' refusal even to discuss the matter with UNITE.

The conversation was very interesting and drew a varied response
from the listeners. One point which came up repeatedly was that
of all the transport workers, bus drivers will experience the most
stress during the Olympics and that if train drivers receive a bonus,
so should bus drivers.

Any bus passengers have a view on this?

Old June 16th 12, 03:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:42:30 on Sat, 16
Jun 2012, Robin9 remarked:
One point which came up repeatedly was that
of all the transport workers, bus drivers will experience the most
stress during the Olympics and that if train drivers receive a bonus,
so should bus drivers.

I thought the train drivers were getting a bonus for agreeing not to go
on strike, and working more flexible hours. Or are these defined as
"stress" today?
Old June 16th 12, 03:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin9" wrote in message
I've just been listening to Ken Livingstone and Steve Norris
on LBC chatting about the possible bus drivers' strike. This
has been brought about by the demand from the trade union
UNITE that bus drivers should be paid a bonus in recognition of
the stress and extra work during the Olympics and the bus
companies' refusal even to discuss the matter with UNITE.

The conversation was very interesting and drew a varied response
from the listeners. One point which came up repeatedly was that
of all the transport workers, bus drivers will experience the most
stress during the Olympics and that if train drivers receive a bonus,
so should bus drivers.

Any bus passengers have a view on this?

Train drivers shouldn't receive a bonus either.

Next question?

--
Brian

Old June 16th 12, 03:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16/06/2012 13:42, Robin9 wrote:
I've just been listening to Ken Livingstone and Steve Norris
on LBC chatting about the possible bus drivers' strike. This
has been brought about by the demand from the trade union
UNITE that bus drivers should be paid a bonus in recognition of
the stress and extra work during the Olympics and the bus
companies' refusal even to discuss the matter with UNITE.

The conversation was very interesting and drew a varied response
from the listeners. One point which came up repeatedly was that
of all the transport workers, bus drivers will experience the most
stress during the Olympics and that if train drivers receive a bonus,
so should bus drivers.

Any bus passengers have a view on this?

Well - it's yet to be proven how much additional ridership and effort it
will be. The other thing to note that with the increase in capacity on
certain routes I'd have assumed that there may well be greater
opportunities for drivers to earn overtime and so on (giving them
greater income anyway).

Also, given that I assume bus drivers are paid based on time rather than
miles driven then what exactly is there additional workload over and
above their potential extra time getting to their depots or other driver
changeover points (the majority of which are not in the key central
areas which are going to be heavily affected by the Olympics in general).

In fact, the people who are primarily going to be affected are the usual
passengers with journeys taking longer, less opportunity to get a seat
and so on - are we to be compensated with lower fares as our bonus?
Thought no.

Of course, absolutely the same applies to train drivers and workers on
the DLR and so on - the only rationale for the bonus is essentially a
bung to try and make sure they do their contracted job correctly and
don't attempt to cripple London by striking during a time when it is key
to showcase the City (for everyone).
Old June 16th 12, 06:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2012\06\16 13:42, Robin9 wrote:
I've just been listening to Ken Livingstone and Steve Norris
on LBC chatting about the possible bus drivers' strike. This
has been brought about by the demand from the trade union
UNITE that bus drivers should be paid a bonus in recognition of
the stress and extra work during the Olympics and the bus
companies' refusal even to discuss the matter with UNITE.

The conversation was very interesting and drew a varied response
from the listeners. One point which came up repeatedly was that
of all the transport workers, bus drivers will experience the most
stress during the Olympics and that if train drivers receive a bonus,
so should bus drivers.

I don't see how bus drivers will undergo any stress. They'll be stuck in
more jams, but I have never seen a bus driver blamed by passengers for a
jam, and I presume they won't be blamed by their managers either. Taxi
drivers and minicab drivers are the only transport workers who will
suffer stress during the Olympics.

Old June 16th 12, 06:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:31:08 on Sat, 16
Jun 2012, Steve Fitzgerald ] remarked:
I thought the train drivers were getting a bonus for agreeing not to
go on strike, and working more flexible hours. Or are these defined as
"stress" today?

The agreement that I'm aware of was to 'buy' the drivers out of
longstanding agreements in the interests of flexibility. Temporary
longer shifts and later finishes.

There was no 'no strike' deal.

I must stop reading the telegraph, and go back to the Daily Mail

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oly...be-drivers-to-
get-1800-bonus-not-to-strike-during-the-Olympics.html
Old June 16th 12, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 16:46:10 +0100, Someone Somewhere
wrote:

[...]

I thought LU drivers were paid salaries, not hours+overtime, so the
bonus is to compensate for the extra hours and shift flexibility
during the Olympics. But bus drivers do get overtime, so that's how
they should earn extra money for any extra time worked.
Old June 17th 12, 06:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Saturday, 16 June 2012 13:42:30 UTC+1, Robin9 wrote:

Any bus passengers have a view on this?

I have strong and interesting views on this but I am not a bus passenger.
Old June 17th 12, 06:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16/06/2012 22:34, Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
In message , Recliner
writes

I thought LU drivers were paid salaries, not hours+overtime, so the
bonus is to compensate for the extra hours and shift flexibility
during the Olympics. But bus drivers do get overtime, so that's how
they should earn extra money for any extra time worked.

Indeed, and there is no voluntary overtime. For example, my last pay
period I received about £5 for overtime due to late running.

There is no opportunity to supplement this.

The 'bonus' is solely to buy out of the current agreements for the
period of sports day. Any hours worked outside of the current agreement
during this time will be paid extra too; the aggregate of this is what
the papers like to present as fact.

Isn't the lack of overtime due to agreements with the unions anyway to
ensure everyone gets the most money, no individual may be favoured and
the maximum amount of staffing exists to cover the work needed as
unexpected absences can't be dealt with by others doing overtime?

And, if you're getting paid for any hours worked outside of the current
agreement, what is the perceived need for the "bonus" - solely the
flexibility that most workers are expected to have anyway?
Old June 17th 12, 07:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:41:40 on Sat, 16
Jun 2012, Steve Fitzgerald ] remarked:
The agreement that I'm aware of was to 'buy' the drivers out of
longstanding agreements in the interests of flexibility. Temporary
longer shifts and later finishes.

There was no 'no strike' deal.

I must stop reading the telegraph, and go back to the Daily Mail

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oly...be-drivers-to-
get-1800-bonus-not-to-strike-during-the-Olympics.html

Yes you must; maybe ask someone who actually knows and not trust the
bull**** in the media!

After all, I'm only a lowly union rep.

Then you've got a problem (maybe deliberately fostered by the employers)
that the public *think* there's a no-strike deal and won't be very
sympathetic if there is one. Not that they are very sympathetic anyway,
even when there isn't an Olympics happening.