Old March 21st 11, 06:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Olympics travelcards and out boundary?

The Olympics Ticketing website
http://www.tickets.london2012.com/ve...nsport.html#t1 says

"Spectators with tickets for Games events in London will receive a Games
travelcard to use on public transport in London on the day of their event.

This will include London Underground (Tube), London Overground rail, DLR,
bus, tram and some national rail services but not the Heathrow, Stansted or
Gatwick Express trains or taxis."

Which very nearly sounds like the Travelcard we all know and love but just
maybe isn't (some national rail services?).

Be that as it may, if I'm coming from an outboundary point (probably
Maidenhead but possibly Castle Cary) I might expect to buy a ticket to
BZ6(?). I've never seen an advance ticket Castle Cary to BZ6 (sorry, I'm
being facetious) but does anyone know if the boundaries and rules regarding
how tickets butt up against one another will work with games travelcards?

Old March 21st 11, 06:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message
[...]

Is there such a thing as a ticket *to* BZ6. AIUI tickets (single and return)
are available with origin a zone boundary (to extend a travelcard to an
outboundary destination), but from outside the zones you would get an
outboundary travelcard.

Then we get into the thorny issue of split tickets when one is a travelcard
(Day or Season).

Peter

Old March 21st 11, 07:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

http://www.tickets.london2012.com/ve...rt.html#t1says

"Spectators with tickets for Games events in London will receive a Games
travelcard to use on public transport in London on the day of their event..

This will include London Underground (Tube), London Overground rail, DLR,
bus, tram and some national rail services but not the Heathrow, Stansted or
Gatwick Express trains or taxis."

Which very nearly sounds like the Travelcard we all know and love but just
maybe isn't (some national rail services?).

I think the point is that it'll also include travel on the (national
rail) Javelin service (St P - Stratford - Ebbsfleet) - yes the above
para isn't clear, but my understanding is that it'll be like a regular
Day Travelcard with some extra magic (Javelin plus the various Olympic
bus services).

Be that as it may, if I'm coming from an outboundary point (probably
Maidenhead but possibly Castle Cary) I might expect to buy a ticket to
BZ6(?). * I've never seen an advance ticket Castle Cary to BZ6 (sorry, I'm
being facetious) but does anyone know if the boundaries and rules regarding
how tickets butt up against one another will work with games travelcards?

No such thing as a ticket from point x to Boundary Zone 6 except as
part of a return starting from London.
Old March 21st 11, 07:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mar 21, 8:41*pm, Mizter T wrote:

On Mar 21, 7:02*pm, "Graham Harrison"
[sni[]
Be that as it may, if I'm coming from an outboundary point (probably
Maidenhead but possibly Castle Cary) I might expect to buy a ticket to
BZ6(?). * I've never seen an advance ticket Castle Cary to BZ6 (sorry, I'm
being facetious) but does anyone know if the boundaries and rules regarding
how tickets butt up against one another will work with games travelcards?

No such thing as a ticket from point x to Boundary Zone 6 except as
part of a return starting from London.

....in conjunction with a Travelcard.
Old March 21st 11, 08:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Note that applicants are being told it's a Zones 1-9 Travelcard:

"Spectators with tickets for Games events in London will receive a Games
travelcard for zones 1-9 to use on public transport in London on the day of
their event. This will include London Underground (Tube), London Overground
rail, DLR, bus, tram and some national rail services."

I sent this message to them: "You indicate that a Z1-9 travelcard will be
issued to spectators with tickets. Travelcards don't normally include the
High Speed trains from St Pancras to Stratford and beyond. Are these trains
included, and if so from how far out from London?"...

.... and I received this reply:

"Dear John,
Thank you for your enquiry.
As your enquiry is not related to ticketing, we have passed it onto the
enquiries team who will be in touch with you soon."

That was on the 10th March. I am awaiting developments...

Old March 21st 11, 08:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mar 21, 9:07*pm, "John Salmon" wrote:
[snip]
[...]

Worth remembering that Javelin in a rail transport context is a
trademark of the BOA (no. 2397248, covers classes 12 and 39), and was
registered to cover the special train service during Games time.

The Javelin service from St Pancras - Stratford - Ebbsfleet was and
remains a pivotal part of the overall games transport plan. It's not
clear how much of the SE Highspeed service will run during the games,
but the Javelin service will take priority. In this context I have
every expectation that the Games Travelcard will cover travel on the
Javelin - my understanding is that it will.

Old March 21st 11, 08:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 21/03/2011 21:21, Mizter T wrote:

On Mar 21, 9:07 pm, "John wrote:
[snip]
[...]

Indeed so. I'm wondering why that wasn't mentioned at all in the paragraph
that I quoted. Not only should it have been mentioned: it should have been
highlighted.

Old March 21st 11, 08:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote

The Javelin service from St Pancras - Stratford - Ebbsfleet was and
remains a pivotal part of the overall games transport plan. It's not clear
how much of the SE Highspeed service will run during the games,

but the Javelin service will take priority. In this context I have every
expectation that the Games Travelcard will cover travel on the Javelin - my
understanding is that it will.

A passenger from (say) Ashford will presumably need to buy a ticket to
somewhere in order to use the Javelin service to access the Olympic site at
Stratford. At the moment it seems that potential Olympic ticket purchasers
are not being told whether 'somewhere' is Ebbsfleet or Stratford or St.
Pancras or even somewhere else. It certainly isn't clear to me, and I
consider myself reasonably clued-up on One-day Travelcards; perhaps I'm not
quite so clued-up on Period Travelcards. It's not yet clear to what extent
a 'Games Travelcard' differs in validity from the sundry varieties of
inboundary/outboundary Day/Period Travelcards.

The OP is asking a similar question re travel from Maidenhead or Castle
Cary; the answer to that is also unclear.