Old July 13th 12, 12:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default West Croydon new down-side entrance

... now open. Direct access to the tram stop and bus station.

Used it yesterday for a journey to Sutton. Usual automatic barriers until 7:30 pm, and after that, available by requesting access via push-button, says the notice alongside.

Old July 13th 12, 07:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Chris Cook" wrote in message

.. now open. Direct access to the tram stop and bus station.

Well it's not exactly new - IIUC this was the original entrance and station
building before it got moved round the corner (anyone know when and why?).
Also it's been used a few times for access to and from rail replacement
buses.

In the past the explanation for why this entrance wasn't used more was
something to do with the station not having full disabled access - how much
has this changed to allow it to be used now?

--
My blog: http://adf.ly/4hi4c

Old July 13th 12, 10:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Friday, July 13, 2012 8:34:36 PM UTC+1, Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:
"Chris Cook" > wrote in message

> .. now open. Direct access to the tram stop and bus station.

Well it's not exactly new - IIUC this was the original entrance and station
building before it got moved round the corner (anyone know when and why?).
Also it's been used a few times for access to and from rail replacement
buses.

In the past the explanation for why this entrance wasn't used more was
something to do with the station not having full disabled access - how much
has this changed to allow it to be used now?

--
My blog: http://adf.ly/4hi4c

What is new for 2012 is the big solid letters above the entrance saying "West Criydon", like at Shadwell station. I wanted to use it back on Tuesday but it was still closed!
Old July 13th 12, 10:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Chris Cook" > wrote in message

> .. now open. Direct access to the tram stop and bus station.

Well it's not exactly new - IIUC this was the original entrance and station
building before it got moved round the corner (anyone know when and why?).
Also it's been used a few times for access to and from rail replacement
buses.

In the past the explanation for why this entrance wasn't used more was
something to do with the station not having full disabled access - how much
has this changed to allow it to be used now?

--
My blog: http://adf.ly/4hi4c

What is new for 2012 is the big solid letters above the entrance saying "West Croydon", like at Shadwell station. I wanted to use it back on Monday but it was still closed!

Old July 14th 12, 12:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 13/07/2012 01:47, Chris Cook wrote:
.. now open. Direct access to the tram stop and bus station.

Used it yesterday for a journey to Sutton. Usual automatic barriers until 7:30 pm, and after that, available by requesting access via push-button, says the notice alongside.

Speaking of automatic barriers, I passed through KX today and saw
scanners fitted to them at the gateline, in addition to Oyster card
readers.

Will this become standard throughout London and eventually the UK?

Old July 14th 12, 08:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 13/07/2012 20:34, Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:
"Chris Cook" wrote in message

.. now open. Direct access to the tram stop and bus station.

Well it's not exactly new - IIUC this was the original entrance and station
building before it got moved round the corner (anyone know when and why?).

From the style of the building, perhaps the 1930s?

Also it's been used a few times for access to and from rail replacement
buses.

In the past the explanation for why this entrance wasn't used more was
something to do with the station not having full disabled access - how much
has this changed to allow it to be used now?

There is a now an "accessible" route to platforms 1/3 from London Road,
avoiding the steps from the footbridge. There is still no accessible
route within the station between 1/3 and 4, although I'm not sure how
often one would actually be needed.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old July 16th 12, 12:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 09:48:17AM +0100, Arthur Figgis wrote:

There is a now an "accessible" route to platforms 1/3 from London Road,
avoiding the steps from the footbridge. There is still no accessible
route within the station between 1/3 and 4, although I'm not sure how
often one would actually be needed.

Approximately never.

I very occasionally make that change (on foot), but have never seen
anyone else do it. It's invariably because I either got on the wrong
train or slept past my stop and have to double back.

--
David Cantrell | even more awesome than a panda-fur coat

Arbeit macht Alkoholiker
Old July 16th 12, 12:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 08:34:36PM +0100, Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:

In the past the explanation for why this entrance wasn't used more was
something to do with the station not having full disabled access - how much
has this changed to allow it to be used now?

Ah yes, we can't do anything that would be useful for only almost
everyone, not even if we'll make it useful for everyone in the future.

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

We found no search results for "crotchet". Did you mean "crotch"?
Old July 19th 12, 06:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 01:21:33 +0100, "
wrote:

Speaking of automatic barriers, I passed through KX today and saw
scanners fitted to them at the gateline, in addition to Oyster card
readers.

Will this become standard throughout London and eventually the UK?

I hope so... contactless and barcode with some proportion
contactless-only, I don't see the need for magnetic any more, paper
tickets could then be as large as necessary to get the required
information on them. But I hope they get better barcode readers than
Eurostar!

Richard.
Old August 1st 12, 11:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Arthur Figgis wrote:

There is a now an "accessible" route to platforms 1/3 from London Road,
avoiding the steps from the footbridge. There is still no accessible route
within the station between 1/3 and 4, although I'm not sure how often one
would actually be needed.

How many services still terminate on platform 1? If there are still many
then it would be used for interchanging.
--
My blog: http://adf.ly/4hi4c