Old January 22nd 04, 11:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Double deck Crossrail

As Crossrail is in all likelihood going to be a regional link, as
opposed to an intercity one, are there any reasons why it could not
run double deck trains similar to those is Paris?

Old January 22nd 04, 12:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Chetoph" wrote in message
m...
As Crossrail is in all likelihood going to be a regional link, as
opposed to an intercity one, are there any reasons why it could not
run double deck trains similar to those is Paris?

Simple one. Gauge. Crossrail is *not* an entirely new railway, nor is it
proposed to operate on dedicated tracks. At the extremities it will be using
existing Network Rail lines, with all the problems of bridge heights,
trackbed widths etc.

If Crossrail was an entirely new construction, using dedicated track, then
your suggestion would make good sense.

Old January 22nd 04, 03:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Chetoph" wrote in message m...
As Crossrail is in all likelihood going to be a regional link, as
opposed to an intercity one, are there any reasons why it could not
run double deck trains similar to those is Paris?

Presumably the tunnel(s) would need a larger diameter, and would
cost proportionately more to dig, if the trains were double deck.

Crossrail have already stated that the trains will be twice as long as a
"normal" tube train.

Robin

Old January 22nd 04, 03:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin Cox" wrote in message

Crossrail have already stated that the trains will be twice as long as a
"normal" tube train.

Although they will, inevitably, have to comply with platform lengths on the
overground sections of Network Rail (such as the suburban stations from
Stratford to Shenfield).

Old January 22nd 04, 04:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jack Taylor wrote:
"Robin Cox" wrote in message

Crossrail have already stated that the trains will be twice as long as a
"normal" tube train.

Although they will, inevitably, have to comply with platform lengths on the
overground sections of Network Rail (such as the suburban stations from
Stratford to Shenfield).

Won't they just extend the platforms as necessary? Given the cost of the
project, I'd hate to see them run shorter trains than the system can
take just because existing platforms are too short.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old January 22nd 04, 04:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote:
Jack Taylor wrote:
"Robin Cox" wrote in message

Crossrail have already stated that the trains will be twice as long
as a "normal" tube train.

Although they will, inevitably, have to comply with platform lengths
on the overground sections of Network Rail (such as the suburban
stations from Stratford to Shenfield).

Won't they just extend the platforms as necessary? Given the cost of
the project, I'd hate to see them run shorter trains than the system
can take just because existing platforms are too short.

They do indeed plan to extend existing platforms where necessary to
accomodate 10-car Crossrail trains, according to
http://www.crossrail.co.uk/consultation.
--
Richard J.

Old January 22nd 04, 10:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in
:

Dave Arquati wrote:
Jack Taylor wrote:
"Robin Cox" wrote in message

Crossrail have already stated that the trains will be twice as long
as a "normal" tube train.

Although they will, inevitably, have to comply with platform lengths
on the overground sections of Network Rail (such as the suburban
stations from Stratford to Shenfield).

Won't they just extend the platforms as necessary? Given the cost of
the project, I'd hate to see them run shorter trains than the system
can take just because existing platforms are too short.

They do indeed plan to extend existing platforms where necessary to
accomodate 10-car Crossrail trains, according to
http://www.crossrail.co.uk/consultation.

Er, Why 10-cars? Designing the in-tunnel stations for anything less than
12 cars would be madness. I could understand leaving the out-tunnel
stations at eight cars (as present on the suburban GE) to save money and
get the project off the ground, or extend to 12 cars, but 10? This
requires almost as much work for half the benefit!
Old January 22nd 04, 10:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message 0, David
Jackman writes

Er, Why 10-cars? Designing the in-tunnel stations for anything less than
12 cars would be madness. I could understand leaving the out-tunnel
stations at eight cars (as present on the suburban GE) to save money and
get the project off the ground, or extend to 12 cars, but 10? This
requires almost as much work for half the benefit!

This reminded me of the trains I saw on the Paris Metro; the ones with
the full width intercar links.. would they make better use of available
space.
Possible?
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Old January 22nd 04, 11:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Jackman wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in
:

They do indeed plan to extend existing platforms where necessary to
accomodate 10-car Crossrail trains, according to
http://www.crossrail.co.uk/consultation.

Er, Why 10-cars? Designing the in-tunnel stations for anything less
than 12 cars would be madness.

Who said anything about in-tunnel stations? We were discussing whether the
trains would fit into the existing above-ground platforms on, for example,
the Shenfield branch. The standard length of the in-tunnel platforms is
245 metres, compared to (I think) 210 metres above ground, so it looks like
they *are* designing for 12 cars in tunnel.
--
Richard J.

Old January 22nd 04, 11:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Kat wrote:
In message 0, David
Jackman writes

Er, Why 10-cars? Designing the in-tunnel stations for anything less
than 12 cars would be madness. I could understand leaving the
out-tunnel stations at eight cars (as present on the suburban GE) to
save money and get the project off the ground, or extend to 12 cars,
but 10? This requires almost as much work for half the benefit!

This reminded me of the trains I saw on the Paris Metro; the ones with
the full width intercar links.. would they make better use of
available space.

Only if people "passed right down inside the car", as the saying goes.

--
Richard J.