Old August 21st 12, 03:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London Overground Extension To Clapham Junction

On 2012-08-21 15:05:37 +0000, Paul Scott said:

8 tph max end to end in the peaks (on the NLL) is actually an
improvement over the original proposed timetable - which would only
have had 6 tph west of Camden Rd, with 2 tph from Stratford terminating
there.

Likewise the ELL service has never been described as anything higher
than 'up to' 18 tph in the peak on the core section, and 8 tph between
Highbury and Dalston Jn.

Any idea why the NLL frequency is much lower than the ELL? The ELL is a
very handy service in my view - I rarely have to wait as long as 5 mins
at Dalston J. But I used the NLL yesterday morning at about 10.30 am
and it had a 10 minute service interval, and the trains are more
crowded anyway.

E.

Old August 21st 12, 03:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 16:05:37 +0100
"Paul Scott" wrote:
Likewise the ELL service has never been described as anything higher than
'up to' 18 tph in the peak on the core section, and 8 tph between Highbury
and Dalston Jn.

I don't see the purpose of terminating at Dalston Junction. Its nowheresville.
Even if you want to get the NLL you have to walk to kingsland. Why doesn't
every train just go to highbury which would be a lot more useful? Its only
another 2 stops. It just makes no sense whatsoever from a service or
passenger point of view.

B2003

Old August 21st 12, 03:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 16:30:47 +0100
eastender wrote:
Any idea why the NLL frequency is much lower than the ELL? The ELL is a
very handy service in my view - I rarely have to wait as long as 5 mins
at Dalston J. But I used the NLL yesterday morning at about 10.30 am
and it had a 10 minute service interval, and the trains are more
crowded anyway.

Its probably like most service industries in britain - they don't strive to
run a good service, they run a service just above the level at which there
would be mass complaints. Its why you go into a supermarket and see long
till queues and 10 tills closed for no good reason (lack of staff? I doubt
that) or you go into a post office or bank and 1 in every 3 counters is
closed. Why install all those counters in the first place? Who knows. Its
the same with the railways - they could run a decent service but its easier
and more profitable to run an average to poor one and collect the same revenue.

B2003

Old August 21st 12, 04:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2012\08\21 16:30, eastender wrote:

Any idea why the NLL frequency is much lower than the ELL?

Because the NLL tracks are shared with freight trains.

Old August 21st 12, 05:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:

When I left the Picc nearly 2 years ago (how time flys!)

No "flys" on you, then! ;-)

Old August 22nd 12, 06:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Robin9
wrote:
and goes on to
suggest that passengers should change at Surrey Quays for trains to
Crystal Palace or West Croydon. There is no mention of New Cross.
Does this indicate that trains will no longer run to New Cross?

That suggests to me that they're shuffling the routes around: trains
from Highbury will run to Clapham Junction and New Cross, while those
from Dalston will run to Crystal Palace and West Croydon. So there would
never be any point in changing at Surrey Quays for New Cross.

(At present the NWX service is the one that terminates at Dalston, and
my last information was that the Clapham one would as well.)

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org
Old August 22nd 12, 08:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message

That suggests to me that they're shuffling the routes around: trains from
Highbury will run to Clapham Junction and New Cross, while those from
Dalston will run to Crystal Palace and West Croydon. So there would never
be any point in changing at Surrey Quays for New Cross.

(At present the NWX service is the one that terminates at Dalston, and my
last information was that the Clapham one would as well.)

www.opentraintimes.com has the December NR timetable loaded,
showing the routes will be as follows:

Highbury & Islington - Crystal Palace
Highbury & Islington - Clapham Jn
Dalston Jn - New Cross
Dalston Jn - West Croydon

http://www.opentraintimes.com/locati...0903&year=2012

(showing times at Surrey Quays.)

Paul S

Old August 22nd 12, 08:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 17:08:57 +0100
Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
In message , Paul Corfield
writes

Not sure about LU scheduling but I know Hammersmith to Acton had
relatively poor track and bridge conditions which limited the speed.
Don't know if that has now been resolved or not as there have been
quite a lot of weekend possessions on that section.

When I left the Picc nearly 2 years ago (how time flys!) most of the
'fast' had been upgraded and all TSRs removed. I think it's all up to
scratch now.

"Fast" obviously means something different in the piccadilly line control
room in that case. I doubt we went above 30mph on my recent trip along that
section.

B2003