Old April 12th 05, 04:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Clapham Junction

Does anyone know why there is a EWS loco (67.002 "Special Delivery"),
with a class 377 unit (377.116) sandwiched between two barrier
vehicles (DB977943 & DB977942), parked on the through tracks between
platforms 2 and 3 at Clapham Junction? It was there at about 9a.m. this
morning and still there at 3.30 this afternoon.

It must have been my lucky day this morning, since I then managed to
catch the lovely blue 4-CIG (3417) "Gordon Pettitt" from there to
Waterloo, having the privilege of standing in the luggage compartment
(nicely repainted too!)

I took a few photographs at Waterloo, once the train had emptied, and a
buinessman came up behind me and photographed the nameplate, under
which there are details of the unit's history etc., and he as he was
getting out his own mobile 'phone camera commented, "I can't believe
British Rail (sic.) are advertising that their train dates from 1967"!

Marc.

Old April 12th 05, 06:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

377116 was being taken back to Derby by 67002 ''Special Delivery'' for
repair because of an apparent 'leaking cab'

Special Delivery indeed for the fitters at Bombardier Derby!

Hope that helps.

Old April 12th 05, 06:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

377116 was being taken back to Derby by 67002 ''Special Delivery'' for
repair because of an apparent 'leaking cab'

Special Delivery indeed for the fitters at Bombardier Derby!

Hope that helps.

PS: 3417 is a VEP, not a CIG.

Old April 13th 05, 10:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Christopher Jolly wrote:
377116 was being taken back to Derby by 67002 ''Special Delivery''

for
repair because of an apparent 'leaking cab'

Special Delivery indeed for the fitters at Bombardier Derby!

Why would they haul it the whole way by loco? Wouldn't it be simpler
to take it to the limit of the 3rd rail (or 25KV if it also has a
pantograph) under its own power and then attach a loco and translator
vehicles to it?

B2003

Old April 13th 05, 10:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote in message
oups.com...

Why would they haul it the whole way by loco? Wouldn't it be simpler
to take it to the limit of the 3rd rail (or 25KV if it also has a
pantograph) under its own power and then attach a loco and translator
vehicles to it?

No, it would be far more expensive. Firstly you would require two crews, one
with electric traction knowledge to take the unit to the limit of third rail
territory, then you would need a second crew with appropriate traction
knowledge to man the diesel locomotive, then you would need to take a
shunter with you to perform the coupling manoeuvre (rather than just leaving
him at his home depot - also, whilst he's out "on the road" he's
unproductive). For the marginal additional distance it is far cheaper to
take the diesel locomotive to the depot, get the depot staff to prepare the
train consist and then simply perform the move back to Derby. Running to
Brighton, rather than Clapham, is hardly significant extra mileage.

Old April 13th 05, 06:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Many thanks fo all the replies.

Sorry - it was 50/50 in my mind as to whether 3417 was a CIG or VEP -
although I do know the difference between the type of stock, I can
never remember which is which!

Marc.

Old April 18th 05, 11:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Rumour has it the auto brakes did not come on and thus it is/was
impounded until more detailed inspections could be made. Only
speculation/rumour at this time.