London Banter

-   -   Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons... (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/13199-drivers-telling-passengers-use-emergency.html)

Portsmouth Rider November 24th 12 06:19 PM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 15:35:23
on Sat, 24 Nov 2012, Portsmouth Rider
remarked:

But it's not a local bus service. It's an emergency bustitution.

Which is exactly what at least three posters to this thread have been
telling you for the last few days.

Unless the bus stop has a prohibition on "Stopping", other than local
buses (there are some of those, but generally only in very congested city
centres) then anyone can stop to let a passenger out.

As a car driver, I don't need to register with the authorities weeks in
advance to stop there.

Your car is not operated for hire or reward.
You do not need a PCV licence to drive your car.
Your car cannot carry more than eight people
Your car is not operated under an O licence
Your car is not subject to an MOT test at one year old
Your car is unlikely to fail an MOT because of a missing fire extinguisher,
or a torn seat, or even just for "being dirty".
Your car is unlikely to have a bell or buzzer so passengers can signal you
to stop.
Your passengers are allowed to chat with you whilst you are driving.
You are not (usually) allowed to charge fares in your car.
You are not allowed to operate your car with as little as 1mm of tyre tread.

In other words, your car is Cat M1.

A bus can be Cat M2 or more likely Cat M3

a.. Category M1: Vehicles designed and constructed for the carriage of
passengers and comprising no more than eight seats in addition to the
driver's seat.
b.. Category M2: Vehicles designed and constructed for the carriage of
passengers, comprising more than eight seats in addition to the driver's
seat, and having a maximum mass not exceeding 5 tonnes.
c.. Category M3: Vehicles designed and constructed for the carriage of
passengers, comprising more than eight seats in addition to the driver's
seat, and having a maximum mass exceeding 5 tonnes.

Dr J R Stockton[_36_] November 24th 12 06:40 PM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

In uk.transport.london message bYGdnfZVAsq0yDPNnZ2dnUVZ7tmdnZ2d@brightv
iew.com, Thu, 22 Nov 2012 16:39:21, Portsmouth Rider
posted:

Absolutely. Same sort of thing happens on Rail Replacement trips...
passengers want to be let off all over the place, when the contract is for
either actual railway station forecourts, or suitable SPECIFIED bus stops on
the main road nearby. I've actually had passengers forcing the emergency
door at traffic lights. And once you allow one passenger a unspecified stop,
they all want one - when you have to get the bus (and through passengers) on
to the station where the train set has been nailed together again, with the
minimum of delay.....

An intelligent Rail Replacement system would have, defined in the
contract, a limited number of additional non-railway-station stops, at
existing major transport interchanges, where such existed on the best
route from station to station or another route almost as good. The
stops would be chosen to maximise the expected overall customer
satisfaction.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. For Mail, see Home Page. Turnpike, WinXP.
Web http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQ-type topics, acronyms, and links.

Roland Perry November 24th 12 06:53 PM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

In message , at 18:38:46 on Sat, 24
Nov 2012, Graeme Wall remarked:

And you've got that bit wrong as well.

I'm tempted to ask why you think I've got it wrong, but you never
respond to such requests, so I won't.

Because the comments were about people alighting, not boarding.

I've not asked for anyone to be able to board en-route.

Portsmouth Rider November 24th 12 07:42 PM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 18:38:46 on Sat, 24 Nov
2012, Graeme Wall remarked:

And you've got that bit wrong as well.

I'm tempted to ask why you think I've got it wrong, but you never
respond to such requests, so I won't.

Because the comments were about people alighting, not boarding.

I've not asked for anyone to be able to board en-route.

Doesn't matter - set down; board - still a local bus service subject to
local bus service legislation.

Contracts are different - they are operated under contract, and what the
customer wants, the customer gets. And, for clarity, customer in this
context is the rail operator. Who is unlikely to specify stops away from the
actual sattion, unless there are good reasons for it (like access, low
bridge, etc).

Why don't you just give up? after all, even YOU must be able to see that you
are on a hiding to nothing. Wibbling about it on Usenet won't change
anything. Write and complain to the rail operator, and waste THEIR time.

I don't intend to waste amy more of MY time on this topic - it has been
exhaustively explained to you.

Bye.

--
Portsmouthrider

Malcolm Loades November 24th 12 08:02 PM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

In message , Roland Perry
writes
The thoughtless pratts are the people who think it's clever to make the
bus passengers walk a mile in the dark and the rain, rather than
dropping them off somewhere more convenient that they happened to be
passing.

I am not a thoughtless prat and I certainly don't think it clever to
refuse to stop wherever I'm requested. In fact, I find it quite hard to
say no. However, once a driver has said 'yes' to the first person to ask
he must then say 'yes' to every other request to drop passengers where
they want. To act in any other way would be totally unfair.

The first requester may be young fit and travelling without luggage so a
quick stop to drop them off would seem quite reasonable. But, as I
said, you can't then reasonably refuse the next passenger who may be
frail and travelling with luggage stored in the luggage space which then
has to be retrieved.

It may surprise you, but I promise it's true, that once passengers
realise that you will stop by request their requests become ever more
demanding. You drop one passenger and just as you pull away another
request is made for 'the next corner, please' which is less than 100
yards further on! It can become quite ridiculous but you can't then
start inventing rules like stops must be at least 800 yards apart!

Malcolm

Roland Perry November 24th 12 09:09 PM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

In message , at
20:42:17 on Sat, 24 Nov 2012, Portsmouth Rider
remarked:
I don't intend to waste amy more of MY time on this topic - it has been
exhaustively explained to you.

That's my view too. The "can't do" attitude of the railways couldn't
have been more starkly demonstrated.

Roland Perry November 24th 12 09:11 PM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

In message , at 18:39:12 on Sat, 24
Nov 2012, Graeme Wall remarked:

"Second tree from the station" then. Still a muddy grass verge.

But an official muddy grass verge.

I'd love to see the risk assessment that said it was safer for the
passengers than a lit bus stop on the High Street.

Roland Perry November 24th 12 09:13 PM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

In message , at
19:11:06 on Sat, 24 Nov 2012, Portsmouth Rider
remarked:
A bus that is on Rail Work must stop at the place that is on the Con-tract,
and must not stop at any oth-er place to set down or pick up.

Why? They aren't in competition with local buses, and it's safer to drop
someone at a lit bus stop on the High Street than an unlit muddy grass
verge that just happens to be nearer the station.

Roland Perry November 24th 12 09:15 PM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

In message , at 21:02:56 on Sat, 24 Nov
2012, Malcolm Loades remarked:
It may surprise you, but I promise it's true, that once passengers
realise that you will stop by request their requests become ever more
demanding. You drop one passenger and just as you pull away another
request is made for 'the next corner, please' which is less than 100
yards further on! It can become quite ridiculous but you can't then
start inventing rules like stops must be at least 800 yards apart!

You could always stipulate that the stops must be at marked bus stops.
Or if there are only three people on the bus at the time, not be so
pedantic.

John Williamson November 24th 12 09:47 PM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 19:42:31 on Fri, 23
Nov 2012, John Williamson remarked:

Clearing snow can leave you responsible for the consequences if you do
it and don't leave a safe surface.

Not since the "Snow Code" was introduced two years ago.

The Snow Code is not statute law, and it is not common law either. It is
advice to the public by an official body, that is all. The law has not
changed in any way because of it, The Snow Code even states that you can
be held responsible for the consequences if you do not do a good enough
job, while failing to define what a good enough job is.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

John Williamson November 24th 12 09:52 PM

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 18:39:12 on Sat, 24
Nov 2012, Graeme Wall remarked:

"Second tree from the station" then. Still a muddy grass verge.

But an official muddy grass verge.

I'd love to see the risk assessment that said it was safer for the
passengers than a lit bus stop on the High Street.

The risk assessment says it is a safe enough place, and is the closest
bus accessible place to the officially sanctioned stopping point for the
train that the bus is replacing. In these circumstances, it is the only
legal stopping point for the bus. On these services, from the legal
point of view, you are not on a bus, you are on a train, so, barring
instructions to the contrary from the TOC, you must be dropped at the
station, or as close to the station as is physically possible with the
vehicle in use.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

John Williamson November 24th 12 10:01 PM

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
19:11:06 on Sat, 24 Nov 2012, Portsmouth Rider
remarked:
A bus that is on Rail Work must stop at the place that is on the
Con-tract,
and must not stop at any oth-er place to set down or pick up.

Why? They aren't in competition with local buses, and it's safer to drop
someone at a lit bus stop on the High Street than an unlit muddy grass
verge that just happens to be nearer the station.

Head - desk The only vehicle that is allowed to stop at a bus stop is
a bus on a service licenced to use that stop. This need not include all
buses using the road, and, say, a number 13 bus may not use a stop which
is licenced only for the number 8 service.

This has nothing to do with your perception of safety or your
convenience, it has to do with legality and the law of contract. If you
are driving a car and stop on a bus stop, you can be prosecuted for
obstructing the highway *and* obstructing the bus stop, even if there is
no box on the road marking the extent of the stop. A sign (In some cases
a sign on the other side of the road) is sufficient evidence of a stop.
The rail replacement bus is also subject to these restrictions, and is
not allowed to stop there as it is not a service registered or licenced
to use that stop. In some cases, authority can be obtained by the TOC to
use a stop, but for numerous reasons which have been explained, this is
not always done.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

John Williamson November 24th 12 10:07 PM

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
15:35:23 on Sat, 24 Nov 2012, Portsmouth Rider
remarked:

But it's not a local bus service. It's an emergency bustitution.

Which is exactly what at least three posters to this thread have been
telling you for the last few days.

Unless the bus stop has a prohibition on "Stopping", other than local
buses (there are some of those, but generally only in very congested
city centres) then anyone can stop to let a passenger out.

As a car driver, I don't need to register with the authorities weeks in
advance to stop there.

If you stop on a bus stop with a private car, you can be prosecuted for
obstructing the stop and obstructing the highway. Read the Highway Code.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Arthur Figgis November 24th 12 10:36 PM

On 24/11/2012 22:47, John Williamson wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 19:42:31 on Fri, 23
Nov 2012, John Williamson remarked:

Clearing snow can leave you responsible for the consequences if you
do it and don't leave a safe surface.

Not since the "Snow Code" was introduced two years ago.

The Snow Code is not statute law, and it is not common law either. It is
advice to the public by an official body, that is all. The law has not
changed in any way because of it,

Because the "law" preventing people clearing snow never actually existed
in the first place. That's the point.

The Snow Code even states that you can
be held responsible for the consequences if you do not do a good enough
job,

No it doesn't.

Bus drivers can be held responsible if they deliberately run someone
over. Does that mean that bus drivers shouldn't ever drive buses?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Arthur Figgis November 24th 12 10:40 PM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

On 24/11/2012 09:36, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 24/11/2012 09:24, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 17:06:05 on Fri, 23
Nov 2012, Graeme Wall remarked:

I believe bus replacement services have designated "bus stops",

No, they just stop on a country road somewhere near the station.

As far as you know, ever read a rail-replacement service contract?

If all the station has is a bit of passing country road, that's what
they need to use. The contract won't require the bus operator to install
a bus stop.

It will require them to stop at a designated place.

Indeed, they don't even seem to require the bus driver to
know where the station is - on one trip I had to stand next to the
driver and give him directions.

I had to do that in Canada! The Canadian was turned short of Toronto
and we were bused[1] up to Capreol to join it. The bus driver didn't
know where the station was but being sat higher than him I could see the
top of a loco over the fences and was able to direct him in.

Some time ago I was on a bus replacement bus(!) where the driver asked
whether he was supposed to turn off and go through all the tiny
villages, or stick to the main road which now bypasses them all.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Arthur Figgis November 24th 12 10:47 PM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

On 24/11/2012 14:28, Portsmouth Rider wrote:

d) ensure he had provided seating capacity to carry both the rail passengers
(who would frequently fill one or more vehicles) and the anticipated numbers
who might reasonably wish to board en-route

f) run the bus at the times stated in the Timetable

Should they not be doing these anyway?

I appreciate some bus companies come with an "if you or your journey
mattered you wouldn't be using us, and most of you aren't paying anyway"
mentality, but aren't these replacement buses pseudo-trains?
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Arthur Figgis November 24th 12 10:49 PM

On 24/11/2012 19:11, Portsmouth Rider wrote:
"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 15:31:37 on Sat, 24 Nov
2012, Graeme Wall remarked:

But it's not a local bus service. It's an emergency bustitution.

So therefore it can't use the local bus stops.

But neither is it prohibited. Unless the bit of road in question has a
sign saying "No Stopping - except local buses", which they don't.

You seem to have some difficulty in comprehension. The prohibition in
stopping at unofficial bus stops is nothing to with Road Traffic signs or
law, but everything to with the licence issued by the Traffic Commissioners
(or not issued, as the case may be.)

A bus that is on a Lo-cal Bus Ser-vice can stop at a Bus Stop, In fact it
must do so if a man on the bus wants it to, to get off. Or if a man wants to
get on the bus.

A bus that is on Rail Work must stop at the place that is on the Con-tract,
and must not stop at any oth-er place to set down or pick up.

Now I appreciate that three of those words run into two sysllables, but I
have hyphenated them for you to make it easier for you to understand. The
rest are monosyllabylic and so should not present you with too much of a
problem.

So can we get Bor-is and Ke-n banged up because replacement buses use
the normal bus stops at one of my local stations?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Arthur Figgis November 24th 12 10:51 PM

On 24/11/2012 23:01, John Williamson wrote:

This has nothing to do with your perception of safety or your
convenience, it has to do with legality and the law of contract.

So, just be 100% clear - bus companies consider a contract to be more
important than the safety of their passengers?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

John Williamson November 24th 12 10:56 PM

Arthur Figgis wrote:
So can we get Bor-is and Ke-n banged up because replacement buses use
the normal bus stops at one of my local stations?

No, because they are certain to be the TOC authorised stopping points
for those services, and approved by the Powers That Be under agreements
made prior to the replacement service operating, often *years* before
the service operated. There are plans for this sort of thing in place at
all the TOC offices and these are drawn up in conjunction with the
authorities, and in the case of London, all these are known about and
have to be registered with TfL.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

John Williamson November 24th 12 11:00 PM

Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 24/11/2012 23:01, John Williamson wrote:

This has nothing to do with your perception of safety or your
convenience, it has to do with legality and the law of contract.

So, just be 100% clear - bus companies consider a contract to be more
important than the safety of their passengers?

Risk assessments will have been performed to check that the approved
stop meets safety guidelines, so there is no unacceptable risk to safety.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Portsmouth Rider November 25th 12 06:58 AM

"John Williamson" wrote in message
Arthur Figgis wrote:
So can we get Bor-is and Ke-n banged up because replacement buses use the
normal bus stops at one of my local stations?

No, because they are certain to be the TOC authorised stopping points for
those services, and approved by the Powers That Be under agreements made
prior to the replacement service operating, often *years* before the
service operated. There are plans for this sort of thing in place at all
the TOC offices and these are drawn up in conjunction with the
authorities, and in the case of London, all these are known about and have
to be registered with TfL.

And, Ar-thur, it has not escaped our notice, although it may have escaped
yours, that Ken has only one syllable. :o)

Roland Perry November 25th 12 07:58 AM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

In message , at 23:07:02 on
Sat, 24 Nov 2012, Paul Corfield remarked:
Why don't you just give up? after all, even YOU must be able to see that you
are on a hiding to nothing. Wibbling about it on Usenet won't change
anything. Write and complain to the rail operator, and waste THEIR time.

He never, ever does give up regardless of what has been said.

This is something I feel quite strongly about, but in the face of a
stone wall of "we are happy to screw the passengers, and cause them even
more inconvenience" we have at least established what the industry's
stance is.

Roland Perry November 25th 12 07:59 AM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

In message , at 23:01:56 on Sat, 24
Nov 2012, John Williamson remarked:
Head - desk The only vehicle that is allowed to stop at a bus stop
is a bus on a service licenced to use that stop.

Cars and vans are allowed to stop there as well. Only if there's a "No
Stopping" plate is a bus stop exclusively for the use of buses.

Roland Perry November 25th 12 08:07 AM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

In message , at 23:07:35 on Sat, 24
Nov 2012, John Williamson remarked:

If you stop on a bus stop with a private car, you can be prosecuted for
obstructing the stop and obstructing the highway.

If you park or "wait", perhaps. But not if you "stop" (which is the
technical expression for pausing to let passengers in/out).

Even then it's not guaranteed. At my last house there was a bus stop
almost outside, and cars would regularly park there all day. This was
completely ignored by police/wardens etc.

Read the Highway Code.

Para 215 only talks about "Bus stop clearways", not regular bus stops.

Portsmouth Rider November 25th 12 08:10 AM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 23:01:56 on Sat, 24 Nov
2012, John Williamson remarked:
Head - desk The only vehicle that is allowed to stop at a bus stop is a
bus on a service licenced to use that stop.

Cars and vans are allowed to stop there as well. Only if there's a "No
Stopping" plate is a bus stop exclusively for the use of buses.
--

See Highway Code Rule 243.

Roland Perry

Graeme Wall November 25th 12 08:43 AM

On 24/11/2012 22:11, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 18:39:12 on Sat, 24
Nov 2012, Graeme Wall remarked:

"Second tree from the station" then. Still a muddy grass verge.

But an official muddy grass verge.

I'd love to see the risk assessment that said it was safer for the
passengers than a lit bus stop on the High Street.

Another of your straw men.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail

Graeme Wall November 25th 12 08:46 AM

On 25/11/2012 08:58, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 23:07:02 on
Sat, 24 Nov 2012, Paul Corfield remarked:
Why don't you just give up? after all, even YOU must be able to see
that you
are on a hiding to nothing. Wibbling about it on Usenet won't change
anything. Write and complain to the rail operator, and waste THEIR time.

He never, ever does give up regardless of what has been said.

This is something I feel quite strongly about, but in the face of a
stone wall of "we are happy to screw the passengers, and cause them even
more inconvenience" we have at least established what the industry's
stance is.

No, we have. exaustively, established that is the tantrum you are
throwing because they won't accede to your whims.

Graeme Wall November 25th 12 08:47 AM

On 24/11/2012 19:40, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
[...]

But wouldn't necessarily include the corner of Roland's road.

Portsmouth Rider November 25th 12 09:01 AM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

In message , at 23:07:35 on Sat, 24 Nov

Portsmouth Rider November 25th 12 09:06 AM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

"Arthur Figgis" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 24/11/2012 14:28, Portsmouth Rider wrote:

d) ensure he had provided seating capacity to carry both the rail
passengers
(who would frequently fill one or more vehicles) and the anticipated
numbers
who might reasonably wish to board en-route

f) run the bus at the times stated in the Timetable

Should they not be doing these anyway?

Yes, a local bus should.

But a bus on Rail Replacement does not.

(It does in theory: but the timings of a RSS are dependant on the arrival of
trains at a station, the numbers on board that train, and the availabilty of
actual busses in the station yard - they might still be on their way back
from the opposite journey.) Similarly: the departure of trains from the end
of a bustitution link is a function of the buses arrival at the station plus
time for the people to make the transfer. No pre-published timetable for a
bustitution can be RELIED ON and so it cannot really function as a LBS.

Portsmouth Rider November 25th 12 09:15 AM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 13:26:55 -0000
"Portsmouth Rider" wrote:
Passenger being permitted to leave at unauthorised stop trips (even may be
own fault.)
Leads to:
Passenger sees "COMPO!!!" and claims from bus co
Leads to:
Bus co want to know from driver what was he doing allowing unscheduled
dropping points
Leads to:
Driver out of job

In theory, in practice there has to be some leaway.

Indeed. The driver can do almost anything reasonable, provided he has good
reason to do so. He can - and quite possibly WILL - be called to justify
his actions subsequently (especially in these days when bus co managers are
not busmen, but mere mouthpieces for "Head Office Policy"). Mr Perry's tea
and crumpets being cold because he is half an hour late getting home does
not count as good reason. A tree falling down 50 yards from the station,
which can be walked around safely, but which the bus cannot negotiate, does,
for example, count as "good reason" - for the bus to drop the passengers off
just before the tree. What is mo the situation will have been noted, and
later reported to the bus co, by the bus co supervisor on site (even if not
at the actual station, if it is a small one) and it is likely that
instructions would be given to the driver to do just that; AND how to get
the bus turned around safely before picking up the passengers going the
other way.

If for example the road
is blocked ahead and the bus can't move then the driver will have to let
the passengers off else they could sue the bus company for false
imprisonment!
And while we hear of stupid payouts in courts like that one in the last
few
days for the idiot who hurt her finger, I'm pretty sure most judges and
juries
are fairly sensible and would see the drivers point of view.

B2003

Roland Perry November 25th 12 09:45 AM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

In message , at 09:46:25 on Sun, 25 Nov
2012, Graeme Wall remarked:

This is something I feel quite strongly about, but in the face of a
stone wall of "we are happy to screw the passengers, and cause them even
more inconvenience" we have at least established what the industry's
stance is.

No, we have. exaustively, established that is the tantrum you are
throwing because they won't accede to your whims.

Characterising my reasonable request as a "whim" is consistent with the
attitude I describe above.

But haven't we beaten this to death now?

Roland Perry November 25th 12 09:47 AM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

In message , at
09:10:18 on Sun, 25 Nov 2012, Portsmouth Rider
remarked:
Head - desk The only vehicle that is allowed to stop at a bus stop is a
bus on a service licenced to use that stop.

Cars and vans are allowed to stop there as well. Only if there's a "No
Stopping" plate is a bus stop exclusively for the use of buses.

See Highway Code Rule 243.

That's a "Do Not", rather than a "MUST NOT".

Roland Perry November 25th 12 09:50 AM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

In message , at
10:15:46 on Sun, 25 Nov 2012, Portsmouth Rider
remarked:

Mr Perry's tea and crumpets being cold because he is half an hour late
getting home does not count as good reason.

If it was only half an hour it wouldn't matter so much. The problem is
that once a bustitution has been put in place you are probably already
an hour later than you expected, and giving someone an unnecessary walk
on top of that is just rubbing the salt in.

Roland Perry November 25th 12 09:54 AM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

In message , at 09:47:29 on Sun, 25
Nov 2012, Graeme Wall remarked:

An intelligent Rail Replacement system would have, defined in the
contract, a limited number of additional non-railway-station stops, at
existing major transport interchanges, where such existed on the best
route from station to station or another route almost as good. The
stops would be chosen to maximise the expected overall customer
satisfaction.

But wouldn't necessarily include the corner of Roland's road.

In the first case I was thinking about, it probably would, because the
obvious place for an additional stop would be the one in the middle of
the village served by the station.

In the second case (East Midlands Parkway to Nottingham bustitution) I
don't see why it would be unreasonable to have the bus stop at the same
limited number of places as the old "Skylink" bus to the airport. Those
were presumably chosen for a reason. As it happens, one of those was
near my house.

Graeme Wall November 25th 12 10:26 AM

On 25/11/2012 10:45, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:46:25 on Sun, 25 Nov
2012, Graeme Wall remarked:

This is something I feel quite strongly about, but in the face of a
stone wall of "we are happy to screw the passengers, and cause them even
more inconvenience" we have at least established what the industry's
stance is.

No, we have. exaustively, established that is the tantrum you are
throwing because they won't accede to your whims.

Characterising my reasonable request as a "whim" is consistent with the
attitude I describe above.

As has been pointed out to you by several people, your request isn't
reasonable.

Graeme Wall November 25th 12 10:28 AM

On 25/11/2012 10:54, Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

As I recall your comments on the Skylink service it was no use at all so
hardly makes a good precedent.

Roland Perry November 25th 12 11:44 AM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

In message , at 11:28:13 on Sun, 25
Nov 2012, Graeme Wall remarked:
In the second case (East Midlands Parkway to Nottingham bustitution) I
don't see why it would be unreasonable to have the bus stop at the same
limited number of places as the old "Skylink" bus to the airport. Those
were presumably chosen for a reason. As it happens, one of those was
near my house.

As I recall your comments on the Skylink service it was no use at all
so hardly makes a good precedent.

The problem with the Skylink service was that it didn't have a stop at
East Midlands Parkway station. Apart from that, it was a useful route
that I used several times. It ran almost round the clock, which is more
than one can say for the railways.

Portsmouth Rider November 25th 12 12:17 PM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 09:10:18
on Sun, 25 Nov 2012, Portsmouth Rider
remarked:
Head - desk The only vehicle that is allowed to stop at a bus stop is
bus on a service licenced to use that stop.

Cars and vans are allowed to stop there as well. Only if there's a "No
Stopping" plate is a bus stop exclusively for the use of buses.

See Highway Code Rule 243.

That's a "Do Not", rather than a "MUST NOT".

I just KNEW you were going to come out with that. Now... why do you think it
says "Do Not" and not "MUST NOT"?

(I know the answer to that, I just want to see if YOU do.)
--
PR

Portsmouth Rider November 25th 12 12:18 PM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 10:15:46
on Sun, 25 Nov 2012, Portsmouth Rider
remarked:

Mr Perry's tea and crumpets being cold because he is half an hour late
getting home does not count as good reason.

If it was only half an hour it wouldn't matter so much. The problem is
that once a bustitution has been put in place you are probably already an
hour later than you expected, and giving someone an unnecessary walk on
top of that is just rubbing the salt in.

OK, salty crumpets. Still not a good raeson.

--
PR