London Banter

-   -   Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons... (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/13199-drivers-telling-passengers-use-emergency.html)

Ernesto August 25th 12 09:04 AM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

Hi all,

I've seen this increase over the past few months - drivers unwilling to
open their doors between stops, but instead telling passengers they can
press the emergency door control button themselves to alight from the bus.

Anyone else seen this? Thoughts???

E.
--
"It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have..."

[email protected] August 25th 12 10:03 AM

On 25/08/2012 10:04, Ernesto wrote:
Hi all,

I've seen this increase over the past few months - drivers unwilling to
open their doors between stops, but instead telling passengers they can
press the emergency door control button themselves to alight from the bus.

Anyone else seen this? Thoughts???

E.

I've seen this. I think that this is because they are not allowed to
open the doors between stops, yet they are well aware that a traffic
queue makes it unrealistic for passengers to wait until the bus reaches
the stop, which might be only a few metres away.

Graham Harrison[_2_] August 25th 12 01:20 PM

"Ernesto" wrote in message
Hi all,

I've seen this increase over the past few months - drivers unwilling to
open their doors between stops, but instead telling passengers they can
press the emergency door control button themselves to alight from the bus.

Anyone else seen this? Thoughts???

E.
--
"It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have..."

In different circumstances I've had exactly the opposite. Maybe 2/3 years
ago a vintage double decker with open platform right next to the pavement
stuck in a traffic jam and the conductor point blank refused to allow me to
get off.

[email protected] August 25th 12 01:36 PM

On 25/08/2012 14:20, Graham Harrison wrote:

"Ernesto" wrote in message
Hi all,

I've seen this increase over the past few months - drivers unwilling
to open their doors between stops, but instead telling passengers they
can press the emergency door control button themselves to alight from
the bus.

Anyone else seen this? Thoughts???

E.
--
"It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have..."

In different circumstances I've had exactly the opposite. Maybe 2/3
years ago a vintage double decker with open platform right next to the
pavement stuck in a traffic jam and the conductor point blank refused to
allow me to get off.

Why didn't you just push past him? Were customers not allowed to alight
from a Routemaster if the bus had come to a full stop in traffic?

Peter Lawrence[_3_] August 25th 12 04:41 PM

On 25/08/2012 11:03, wrote:
On 25/08/2012 10:04, Ernesto wrote:
Hi all,

I've seen this increase over the past few months - drivers unwilling to
open their doors between stops, but instead telling passengers they can
press the emergency door control button themselves to alight from the
bus.

Anyone else seen this? Thoughts???

E.

I've seen this. I think that this is because they are not allowed to
open the doors between stops, yet they are well aware that a traffic
queue makes it unrealistic for passengers to wait until the bus reaches
the stop, which might be only a few metres away.

I was told that it is a safety precaution to avoid alighting passengers
being knocked down by cyclists (and vice versa?). If so it seems a fair
restriction for these safety-concious times.

Peter Lawrence

Scott August 25th 12 04:43 PM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 17:41:03 +0100, Peter Lawrence
wrote:

On 25/08/2012 11:03, wrote:
On 25/08/2012 10:04, Ernesto wrote:
Hi all,

I've seen this increase over the past few months - drivers unwilling to
open their doors between stops, but instead telling passengers they can
press the emergency door control button themselves to alight from the
bus.

Anyone else seen this? Thoughts???

E.

I've seen this. I think that this is because they are not allowed to
open the doors between stops, yet they are well aware that a traffic
queue makes it unrealistic for passengers to wait until the bus reaches
the stop, which might be only a few metres away.

I was told that it is a safety precaution to avoid alighting passengers
being knocked down by cyclists (and vice versa?). If so it seems a fair
restriction for these safety-concious times.

Well, in that case telling passengers to use the emergency door
control button is surely as much of a breach of safety procedures as
opening the doors between stops? I'm not following your logic here.

[email protected] August 25th 12 05:17 PM

On 25/08/2012 17:41, Peter Lawrence wrote:
On 25/08/2012 11:03, wrote:
[...]

Another typical overreaction to health & safety.

Alek Smart August 25th 12 06:08 PM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

I'd suspect it's more to do with the onboard CCTV and Driver monitoring
equipment,which being visual only,will not pick up the Drivers "advice" to
passengers.

Drivers actually picked up on CCTV opening the doors at anything other than
a fully secured and pre-vetted location would most likely,a month later, be
required to approach Sir Brian Souter or Tim O Toole on bended knee,whilst
pleading for their lives.....

Public Transport now has forgotten all about the likes of Bus Conductors
advising their passengers to "Hold the Bar now please Ladies...Ding Ding"

Richard J.[_3_] August 25th 12 08:06 PM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

wrote on 25 August 2012
11:03:59 ...
On 25/08/2012 10:04, Ernesto wrote:
Hi all,

I've seen this increase over the past few months - drivers unwilling to
open their doors between stops, but instead telling passengers they can
press the emergency door control button themselves to alight from the bus.

Anyone else seen this? Thoughts???

E.

I've seen this. I think that this is because they are not allowed to
open the doors between stops, yet they are well aware that a traffic
queue makes it unrealistic for passengers to wait until the bus reaches
the stop, which might be only a few metres away.

On a couple of bus journeys of mine recently, the driver has opened the
front door and allowed people to leave by it. I guess this is safer, as
he would have a better view of any approaching cyclists there, and would
be closer to exiting passengers to warn them. Maybe also that door is
not covered by CCTV?
--
Richard J.

Graham Harrison[_2_] August 25th 12 10:42 PM

"Ernesto" wrote in message
Hi all,

I've seen this increase over the past few months - drivers unwilling
to open their doors between stops, but instead telling passengers they
can press the emergency door control button themselves to alight from
the bus.

Anyone else seen this? Thoughts???

E.
--
"It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have..."

In different circumstances I've had exactly the opposite. Maybe 2/3
years ago a vintage double decker with open platform right next to the
pavement stuck in a traffic jam and the conductor point blank refused to
allow me to get off.

Why didn't you just push past him? Were customers not allowed to alight
from a Routemaster if the bus had come to a full stop in traffic?

He was standing with his hands on the stanchions either side of the platform
with his back to the centre pole. I used the word Vintage deliberately; it
was not a PSV operation but a private operation from city centre to what
I'll call an attraction on the outskirts. Had I pushed by there was a
significant risk one, or both, of us might have been hurt in the resulting
tumble from the bus.

Scott August 26th 12 08:22 AM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

"Ernesto" wrote in message
[...]

If is privately run in the way you describe, then the operator sets
the rules. You could probably have been refused passage for the rest
of the day.

Graham Harrison[_2_] August 26th 12 03:12 PM

"Ernesto" wrote in message
[...]

Which would not have worried me since I had completed my journey. And,
you're right he had the right and after one complaint I gave up.

Clive D. W. Feather[_2_] August 30th 12 10:10 PM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

In message , "
wrote:
I was told that it is a safety precaution to avoid alighting passengers
being knocked down by cyclists (and vice versa?). If so it seems a fair
restriction for these safety-concious times.

Another typical overreaction to health & safety.

Having watched someone fall off a Routemaster and under a following
coach, I have to disagree.

[Reported by me on utl at the time.]

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org

Offramp September 1st 12 09:35 AM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

That sounds brilliant! I would have laughed like a water mark.

Portsmouth Rider November 20th 12 05:09 PM

"Ernesto" wrote in message
[...]

The contract - and the TC's licence - was therefore likely to have been
between two specific points. If you wanted a journey that was not covered by
the contract and/or operating licence, you should have used a different
service. Or a taxi. Or walked.

Graham Harrison[_2_] November 22nd 12 09:17 AM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

"Portsmouth Rider" wrote in message

"Graham Harrison" wrote in
message ...

"Ernesto" wrote in message
[...]

The ride was one part of a whole. On the way back we got stuck in a jam
near my destination. The bus destination was further on and I would have
had to walk back (which I subsequently did). I'm old enough to have used
open platform buses and I therefore went into what I might call a "mode"
associated with such buses and just assumed that, as I had in the past, I
could disembark while the bus was stopped. I will admit I was irritated by
the actions of the conductor (who perhaps was more accurately the platform
manager since he wasn't collecting fares) but he wasn't going to back down
and I had no desire to push him out of the way so I accepted the inevitable.
I've no doubt he was correct; my guess is that their insurance requires them
to act in this way.

Portsmouth Rider November 22nd 12 03:39 PM

"Ernesto" wrote in message
[...]

Absolutely. Same sort of thing happens on Rail Replacement trips...
passengers want to be let off all over the place, when the contract is for
either actual railway station forecourts, or suitable SPECIFIED bus stops on
the main road nearby. I've actually had passengers forcing the emergency
door at traffic lights. And once you allow one passenger a unspecified stop,
they all want one - when you have to get the bus (and through passengers) on
to the station where the train set has been nailed together again, with the
minimum of delay.....

John Williamson November 22nd 12 03:47 PM

"Ernesto" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, they seem to think that because it's a bus or coach, it can stop
anywhere it likes. On some rail replacement services, the passengers are
counted at both ends of the route by station staff. Luckily, most of the
passengers who ask are reasonable about it, and accept that they can
only be dropped off at the station, if you explain the reason why.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Roland Perry November 22nd 12 08:42 PM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

In message , at
16:39:21 on Thu, 22 Nov 2012, Portsmouth Rider
remarked:

Same sort of thing happens on Rail Replacement trips... passengers want
to be let off all over the place, when the contract is for either
actual railway station forecourts, or suitable SPECIFIED bus stops on
the main road nearby.

As a passenger on such buses I can understand the problem.

Why should I be driven down my Village's High Street (where I live) and
not be let off until the bus has gone as far as the railway station a
mile outside the village?

Being on the bus is one inconvenience, passing my house and expecting me
to walk a mile back is an inconvenience too far.

Arthur Figgis November 22nd 12 08:53 PM

On 22/11/2012 16:39, Portsmouth Rider wrote:

Absolutely. Same sort of thing happens on Rail Replacement trips...
passengers want to be let off all over the place, when the contract is for
either actual railway station forecourts, or suitable SPECIFIED bus stops on
the main road nearby. I've actually had passengers forcing the emergency
door at traffic lights. And once you allow one passenger a unspecified stop,
they all want one - when you have to get the bus (and through passengers) on
to the station where the train set has been nailed together again, with the
minimum of delay.....

Isn't that just the cultural split between passengers, who are doing the
journey as a means to an end, and the operator, who sees the journey as
an end in itself?

I've been on replacement buses where the driver has asked if anyone does
actually wants to go to a particular station itself, or can the bus drop
off on the main road/village centre/etc to save a slow trip along a
narrow dead-end lane to the station and back.
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Portsmouth Rider November 23rd 12 05:15 AM

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 16:39:21
on Thu, 22 Nov 2012, Portsmouth Rider
remarked:

Same sort of thing happens on Rail Replacement trips... passengers want to
be let off all over the place, when the contract is for either actual
railway station forecourts, or suitable SPECIFIED bus stops on the main
road nearby.

As a passenger on such buses I can understand the problem.

Why should I be driven down my Village's High Street (where I live) and
not be let off until the bus has gone as far as the railway station a mile
outside the village?

Being on the bus is one inconvenience, passing my house and expecting me
to walk a mile back is an inconvenience too far.

But if the railway went past the bottom of your garden, and the train
stopped there for a signal, would you expect to be able to get off the train
outside your house and jump over the fence, or carry on to th e station and
walk back? or take a taxi?

Roland Perry November 23rd 12 06:32 AM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

In message , at
06:15:28 on Fri, 23 Nov 2012, Portsmouth Rider
remarked:
Same sort of thing happens on Rail Replacement trips... passengers want to
be let off all over the place, when the contract is for either actual
railway station forecourts, or suitable SPECIFIED bus stops on the main
road nearby.

As a passenger on such buses I can understand the problem.

Why should I be driven down my Village's High Street (where I live) and
not be let off until the bus has gone as far as the railway station a mile
outside the village?

Being on the bus is one inconvenience, passing my house and expecting me
to walk a mile back is an inconvenience too far.

But if the railway went past the bottom of your garden,

At one house I owned in the 90's, that was the case.

and the train stopped there for a signal, would you expect to be able
to get off the train outside your house and jump over the fence, or
carry on to th e station and walk back? or take a taxi?

There are not facilities for passengers to disembark a train at such a
signal. There are, however, facilities expressly for the purpose of
letting passengers off a bus in the High Street.

[email protected] November 23rd 12 08:50 AM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 07:32:00 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
There are not facilities for passengers to disembark a train at such a
signal. There are, however, facilities expressly for the purpose of
letting passengers off a bus in the High Street.

And those passengers who don't want to get off in the high street are
delayed because of you. How is that fair? And if they let you off they'll
have to let everyone off at whatever random place is convenient and then
the whole service breaks down.

I will admit that some bus drivers are jobsworths and will absolutely refuse to
open the doors even if stuck in traffic 10 metres from a stop which is just
being bloody minded for the sake of it, but if you're going to use a bus
you have to accept its not your personal transport.

B2003

Roland Perry November 23rd 12 09:49 AM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

In message , at 09:50:03 on Fri, 23 Nov
2012, d remarked:
There are not facilities for passengers to disembark a train at such a
signal. There are, however, facilities expressly for the purpose of
letting passengers off a bus in the High Street.

And those passengers who don't want to get off in the high street are
delayed because of you. How is that fair?

Everyone's already been delayed by the bustitution. Another fifteen
seconds isn't going to make any difference.

And if they let you off they'll have to let everyone off at whatever
random place is convenient and then the whole service breaks down.

At the station I'm thinking of, about half the people getting off will
want the same High Street.

I will admit that some bus drivers are jobsworths and will absolutely refuse to
open the doors even if stuck in traffic 10 metres from a stop which is just
being bloody minded for the sake of it, but if you're going to use a bus
you have to accept its not your personal transport.

I was attempting to use a train!

Graeme Wall November 23rd 12 10:12 AM

On 23/11/2012 09:50, d wrote:
I will admit that some bus drivers are jobsworths and will absolutely refuse to
open the doors even if stuck in traffic 10 metres from a stop which is just
being bloody minded for the sake of it, but if you're going to use a bus
you have to accept its not your personal transport.

It is not being bloody minded for the sake of it, if they let you off
away from a stop and you trip and fall, the company is not insured and
the driver can lose his job.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail

John Williamson November 23rd 12 10:38 AM

Graeme Wall wrote:
On 23/11/2012 09:50, d wrote:
I will admit that some bus drivers are jobsworths and will absolutely
refuse to
open the doors even if stuck in traffic 10 metres from a stop which is
just
being bloody minded for the sake of it, but if you're going to use a bus
you have to accept its not your personal transport.

It is not being bloody minded for the sake of it, if they let you off
away from a stop and you trip and fall, the company is not insured and
the driver can lose his job.

Yup. And if you're working for a train company, and their policy is
stations only, which is the case for all the ones I've worked for, then
after the driver's lost his job, the coach company lose the contract,
which could potentially put all the drivers there out of work.

And to the guy that suggested it's only a few seconds delay, it's
actually at least a minute by the time the coach has slowed down, opened
the door, let the passenger out, closed the door and got back into the
traffic stream. Multiply that by the other ten passengers that will now
insist on the same treatment, and you've missed the connecting train, so
everyone who's going further on has to wait an hour for the next one.

If you want door to door transport, take a taxi or drive. Otherwise
accept that the needs of the rest of the passengers outweigh your wants.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Roland Perry November 23rd 12 10:53 AM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

In message , at 11:12:43 on Fri, 23 Nov
2012, Graeme Wall remarked:
I will admit that some bus drivers are jobsworths and will absolutely refuse to
open the doors even if stuck in traffic 10 metres from a stop which is just
being bloody minded for the sake of it, but if you're going to use a bus
you have to accept its not your personal transport.

It is not being bloody minded for the sake of it, if they let you off
away from a stop and you trip and fall, the company is not insured and
the driver can lose his job.

I'm quite happy to be let off at "official" bus stops, although I think
your cautionary tale is an urban myth, because most of the stations en
route don't have bus stops, nor any other facility for delivering people
other than by dropping them off at the kerbside (often in darkness).

Roland Perry November 23rd 12 11:18 AM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

In message , at 11:38:07 on Fri, 23
Nov 2012, John Williamson remarked:
And to the guy that suggested it's only a few seconds delay, it's
actually at least a minute by the time the coach has slowed down,
opened the door, let the passenger out, closed the door and got back
into the traffic stream.

What are these buses doing about traffic lights, zebra crossing and (god
forbid) level crossings? They failing to stop at any of them either,
because a few seconds delay will be so catastrophic?

No; there's plenty of slack in the schedule, just like normal buses that
have to stop every now and again en route.

(And on the roads I had in mind, virtually no other traffic).

This "can't do" attitude is what's dragging this country to ruin, and
especially where things like transport is concerned.

Graeme Wall November 23rd 12 11:22 AM

On 23/11/2012 11:53, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:12:43 on Fri, 23 Nov
2012, Graeme Wall remarked:
I will admit that some bus drivers are jobsworths and will absolutely
refuse to
open the doors even if stuck in traffic 10 metres from a stop which
is just
being bloody minded for the sake of it, but if you're going to use a bus
you have to accept its not your personal transport.

It is not being bloody minded for the sake of it, if they let you off
away from a stop and you trip and fall, the company is not insured and
the driver can lose his job.

I'm quite happy to be let off at "official" bus stops, although I think
your cautionary tale is an urban myth, because most of the stations en
route don't have bus stops, nor any other facility for delivering people
other than by dropping them off at the kerbside (often in darkness).

I was answering Boltar not you. I believe bus replacement services have
designated "bus stops", which wouldn't include "middle of the high
street". Therefore the insurance angle might still apply.

[email protected] November 23rd 12 11:45 AM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 10:49:30 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:50:03 on Fri, 23 Nov
2012, d remarked:
There are not facilities for passengers to disembark a train at such a
signal. There are, however, facilities expressly for the purpose of
letting passengers off a bus in the High Street.

And those passengers who don't want to get off in the high street are
delayed because of you. How is that fair?

Everyone's already been delayed by the bustitution. Another fifteen
seconds isn't going to make any difference.

Sure, if its just you. But then Mable wants to get off at Bingo. Tracy wants
to get off at Mothercare down the road and Kev wants to get off at the Dole
office. Eventually half the passengers have got off before the next station
and the bus is 10 minutes late.

I will admit that some bus drivers are jobsworths and will absolutely refuse

open the doors even if stuck in traffic 10 metres from a stop which is just
being bloody minded for the sake of it, but if you're going to use a bus
you have to accept its not your personal transport.

I was attempting to use a train!

Yeah well, you were on a bus. You must have known there was a bus replacement
service so you could always have taken the car instead.

B2003

[email protected] November 23rd 12 11:46 AM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 11:12:43 +0000
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 23/11/2012 09:50, d wrote:
I will admit that some bus drivers are jobsworths and will absolutely refuse

open the doors even if stuck in traffic 10 metres from a stop which is just
being bloody minded for the sake of it, but if you're going to use a bus
you have to accept its not your personal transport.

It is not being bloody minded for the sake of it, if they let you off
away from a stop and you trip and fall, the company is not insured and
the driver can lose his job.

I think its fair to say that if the bus is stopped and isn't going anywhere
anytime soon and its next to the kerb its highly unlikely anyone getting
off is going to have an accident. Its not like bus stops have raised platforms.

B2003

Portsmouth Rider November 23rd 12 12:20 PM

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 23/11/2012 09:50, d wrote:
I will admit that some bus drivers are jobsworths and will absolutely
refuse to
open the doors even if stuck in traffic 10 metres from a stop which is
just
being bloody minded for the sake of it, but if you're going to use a bus
you have to accept its not your personal transport.

It is not being bloody minded for the sake of it, if they let you off away
from a stop and you trip and fall, the company is not insured and the
driver can lose his job.

And the local cabbies will be on to the rail company, and the bus company,
because they see it as the bus driver providing an illegal taxi service, and
lost trade for themselves.

Roland Perry November 23rd 12 12:23 PM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

In message , at 12:45:19 on Fri, 23 Nov
2012, d remarked:
And those passengers who don't want to get off in the high street are
delayed because of you. How is that fair?

Everyone's already been delayed by the bustitution. Another fifteen
seconds isn't going to make any difference.

Sure, if its just you. But then Mable wants to get off at Bingo. Tracy wants
to get off at Mothercare down the road and Kev wants to get off at the Dole
office. Eventually half the passengers have got off before the next station
and the bus is 10 minutes late.

The trip I had in mind was between a few small villages and their
stations. No Bingo, Mothercare or dole office in any of them.

One stop per village was all I was asking for (in the High Street, not
at the station which was on the outskirts).

I will admit that some bus drivers are jobsworths and will absolutely refuse

open the doors even if stuck in traffic 10 metres from a stop which is just
being bloody minded for the sake of it, but if you're going to use a bus
you have to accept its not your personal transport.

I was attempting to use a train!

Yeah well, you were on a bus. You must have known there was a bus replacement
service so you could always have taken the car instead.

When I went to work in the morning everything was fine. By the evening,
trains were cancelled and buses put in place.

Roland Perry November 23rd 12 12:25 PM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

In message , at 12:22:06 on Fri, 23 Nov
2012, Graeme Wall remarked:
I believe bus replacement services have designated "bus stops",

No, they just stop on a country road somewhere near the station.

which wouldn't include "middle of the high street".

Unless the station's there, in which case my requirement would not
arise.

Therefore the insurance angle might still apply.

But there are official bus stops in the High Street.

Portsmouth Rider November 23rd 12 12:26 PM

Graeme Wall wrote:
On 23/11/2012 09:50, d wrote:
I will admit that some bus drivers are jobsworths and will absolutely
refuse

open the doors even if stuck in traffic 10 metres from a stop which is
just
being bloody minded for the sake of it, but if you're going to use a bus
you have to accept its not your personal transport.

It is not being bloody minded for the sake of it, if they let you off
away from a stop and you trip and fall, the company is not insured and
the driver can lose his job.

I think its fair to say that if the bus is stopped and isn't going
anywhere
anytime soon and its next to the kerb its highly unlikely anyone getting
off is going to have an accident. Its not like bus stops have raised
platforms.

B2003

Many do have raised platforms, but that is not the issue.

Passenger being permitted to leave at unauthorised stop trips (even may be
own fault.)
Leads to:
Passenger sees "COMPO!!!" and claims from bus co
Leads to:
Bus co want to know from driver what was he doing allowing unscheduled
dropping points
Leads to:
Driver out of job

Leads to:
Passenger who demanded to be let of, and who tripped, voluntarily paying the
drivers mortgage for him until the driver finds a new job.

(OK, that last one is as likely as Cameron getting us out of Europe.....)

Paul Scott[_3_] November 23rd 12 12:30 PM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

"Arthur Figgis" wrote in message
o.uk...

I've been on replacement buses where the driver has asked if anyone does
actually wants to go to a particular station itself, or can the bus drop
off on the main road/village centre/etc to save a slow trip along a narrow
dead-end lane to the station and back.

Hopefully on a set down only service, or the driver knew by other means
no-one was waiting at the station?

Paul

[email protected] November 23rd 12 12:43 PM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 13:26:55 -0000
"Portsmouth Rider" wrote:
Passenger being permitted to leave at unauthorised stop trips (even may be
own fault.)
Leads to:
Passenger sees "COMPO!!!" and claims from bus co
Leads to:
Bus co want to know from driver what was he doing allowing unscheduled
dropping points
Leads to:
Driver out of job

In theory, in practice there has to be some leaway. If for example the road
is blocked ahead and the bus can't move then the driver will have to let
the passengers off else they could sue the bus company for false imprisonment!
And while we hear of stupid payouts in courts like that one in the last few
days for the idiot who hurt her finger, I'm pretty sure most judges and juries
are fairly sensible and would see the drivers point of view.

B2003

Portsmouth Rider November 23rd 12 12:44 PM

[...]

These things happen.

Sometimes it's because of a car driver trying - and failing - to beat the
level crossing gates, he gets to Heaven a few years early, hundreds of other
people get home several hours late, and a dozen or so bus drivers get their
day off buggered up because they get called in for a rail replacement.

Mind you - there are NEVER any delays on motorways, are there? And our
ferries ALWAYS run exactly to schedule. And I can't remember the last time
an airliner crashed......

I can, however, think of one case of a train service running to replace a
failed bus service :o)

Roland Perry November 23rd 12 12:55 PM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

In message , at 12:46:22 on Fri, 23 Nov
2012, d remarked:

Its not like bus stops have raised platforms.

Guided-bus stops do :)

Roland Perry November 23rd 12 12:58 PM

Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

In message , at 13:30:27 on
Fri, 23 Nov 2012, Paul Scott remarked:
I've been on replacement buses where the driver has asked if anyone
does actually wants to go to a particular station itself, or can the
bus drop off on the main road/village centre/etc to save a slow trip
along a narrow dead-end lane to the station and back.

Hopefully on a set down only service, or the driver knew by other means
no-one was waiting at the station?

I'm less sanguine about it. Bus replacement services rarely appear to
expect to pick passengers up at rural stations, merely deliver
passengers who embarked at a nearby big town. One way you can tell is
that the pick-up point is often some way from the rural station (eg at
the other end of the road to the station), and no-one bothers to say
exactly where it is.