Old August 30th 12, 05:09 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default Why did the Metropolitan Railway go to Verney Junction?

Optimist wrote:
On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 15:54:33 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 14:07:09 on Thu, 30 Aug
2012, News remarked:
With only about 7.5% of the land settled,
7.5%? Where did you get that figure from?
I'd like to know that as well. Seems a bit high to me.

Do farms not count as settled?
In this context, only the part with the farmhouse on it.
Why? Settled land means that thats lived on. That doesn't just
mean the house it means all land under the same deeds. Otherwise
you can't count gardens as settled land either.

As I wrote, then only 2.5 % of the UK is under masonry.

So it's 2.5% under a house or concrete, and 5% in people's gardens?

Those who think that fields can just be built on ad lib should ask
themselves where the food is to come from.

Read my post on this. All there.

Old August 30th 12, 05:11 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

d wrote:
On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 16:42:36 +0100
Optimist wrote:
Those who think that fields can just be built on ad lib should ask
themselves where the food is to come from. We cannot

I think in the minds of these people it comes from some magic food
machine run by pixies

So senile. Sad
Old August 30th 12, 06:31 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message , at 18:06:55 on Thu, 30 Aug
2012, News remarked:

As I wrote, then only 2.5 % of the UK is under masonry.

So it's 2.5% under a house or concrete, and 5% in people's gardens?

Does it matter!

Yes, if you can't answer the question it looks rather like you are
making the numbers up.
Old August 30th 12, 07:15 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 30/08/2012 17:55, News wrote:
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 30/08/2012 14:04, News wrote:
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 30/08/2012 12:36, Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:
Graeme Wall wrote:

Cities have a natural footprint limit. The generally accepted
limit is that if it takes over an hour to travel from one side
to the other its expansion naturally tails off.

Explain supercities then.

London, New York, Tokyo might give you a clue. Keep looking.

Try getting across any of those in an hour.

London developed largely by expansion of its sattellite towns and
villages in the commuter belt to the point that they fused into one
another before the limits of the greenbelt were set, and then later
local government reorganisation came along and fused them together.
It's somewhat different from a town expanding outwards until it hit
its limit.

London expanded outwards and absorbed towns and villages around it.
Those towns and villages largely expanded as dormitories dependant
on London as a source of jobs rather than the expansion being
driven by internal activity. It is debatable as to whether it has
yet hit it's limit.

No. There are still pouring money into the place at the detriment to
all else.

There are what still pouring money in?

Fool!

We know you are, go and finish your homework.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old August 31st 12, 06:39 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 30/08/2012 14:12, Optimist wrote:
On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 10:34:39 +0100, "News" wrote:

Optimist wrote:

"Oh look! We've got all those brownfield sites! Let's build over
the rest of XXXshire!"

Countryside organisations are demanding all city brownfield sites be built
on. Many think all new developments can be on brownfield sites despite only
14% of demand being catered for on current brownfield sites. This should be
resisted as we now have an ideal opportunity to leave most of these sites
vacant, cleaned up and made natural again by turning them into parks, woods
and encouraging wildlife for the local population to enjoy.

This is an ideal opportunity to improve brownfield areas, improving the
quality of life of urban dwellers. Righting the wrongs of the incompetent
planners of the past. Areas like Hampstead Heath could be actively
encouraged. Woods in towns and cities would also be a great bonus. The
deliberate differentiation between town and country requires abolition as
the Town & Country planning act attempts to divide. Using the words town and
country sets the tone. It creates conflict. It creates two separate
societies. It creates distrust.

One of the reasons that developers do not like to have to use brownfield sites is the cost of decontaminating land that
has been used for industry.

Also setting up electricity and water supply and sewers.

--
Myth, after all, is what we believe naturally. History is what we must
painfully learn and struggle to remember. -Albert Goldman