Old September 25th 12, 03:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Strange track layout at Moorgate Northern?

In message
, at
07:48:38 on Tue, 25 Sep 2012, Offramp remarked:
The original CSLR between King William Street and Kennington was always
Right Hand Running - no idea why.

When the Bank Extension was opened, the tunnels were flattened out before
London Bridge, but for Right Hand running.

This was normalised at Moorgate after the Euston extension, and at
kennington after the stockwell extension. But as against switch the sides
at the middle (RHR) section, that was left as is.

I think that in order to understand this I need to know what
"flattened out" means.

Put side by side, rather than on top and bottom.

At London Bridge I've been in the old CSLR tunnel and it was vertically
above the current southbound platform.

Old September 25th 12, 04:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

We were about to embark at Dover, when ()
came up to me and whispered:

Except that Stockwell was the original Southern terminus of the
C&SLR.

Quite right - my bad. Kennington was the termins of the CCEH.

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

---- If it's below this line, I didn't write it ----
Old September 28th 12, 08:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul
Cummins wrote:
The original CSLR between King William Street and Kennington was always
Right Hand Running - no idea why.

I've read that it meant that trains arriving at KWS had the less steep
tunnel (because of the curves approaching the station). I have no idea
if that's accurate or not.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org

Old September 28th 12, 09:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

We were about to embark at Dover, when (Clive D. W.
Feather) came up to me and whispered:

Kennington was the termins of the CCEH.

Never.

It was, you know... hence the loop.

Old September 28th 12, 10:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

We were about to embark at Dover, when (Nick Leverton)
came up to me and whispered:

There was an earlier loop at Charing Cross. You know .. the
terminus
of the CCE&H.

By the time the Bill for Kennington was requested it was the
LER.

Again I sit corrected though the reason is still correct.

Old September 29th 12, 06:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 21:49:22 on Fri, 28
Sep 2012, Clive D. W. Feather remarked:
The original CSLR between King William Street and Kennington was always
Right Hand Running - no idea why.

I've read that it meant that trains arriving at KWS had the less steep
tunnel (because of the curves approaching the station). I have no idea
if that's accurate or not.

The problem at the KWS end seems to have been Swan Lane, which is just
north of the river. The tunnels were arranged vertically there (with the
northbound tunnel above), but then spread out horizontally under the
curve of Arthur St West so that both lines entered the station (one
platform) at the same level.

Under King William Street it was left-hand running, and with the
northbound line of the outside of the curve that would give it a
slightly greater distance to climb to the station. The fall on the
southbound line must have been considerable.

The tunnels then returned to side-by-side for most of the underwater
section (and beyond) this time right-hand running. At that time there
wasn't a station at London Bridge, the first one being Borough.

For whatever reason, the lines then crossed over, beneath the junction
with Borough Road, with the southbound line going under, and retained
the left-hand running all the way to Stockwell.
Old September 29th 12, 06:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 07:36:48 on Sat, 29 Sep
2012, Roland Perry remarked:
The problem at the KWS end seems to have been Swan Lane, which is just
north of the river. The tunnels were arranged vertically there (with
the northbound tunnel above), but then spread out horizontally under
the curve of Arthur St West so that both lines entered the station (one
platform) at the same level.

Under King William Street it was left-hand running

Sorry, I meant Arthur St West, for a second time.
Old September 30th 12, 02:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Nick Leverton
writes
There was an earlier loop at Charing Cross. You know .. the terminus
of the CCE&H.

To improve the interchange facilities at Charing Cross, the L.E.R.
Promoted a short extension of the Hampstead Tube under Villiers Street
to the Embankment, and work on this was begun in October 1911. The new
line took the form of a single loop under Embankment Gardens and the
fringe of the river from Cleopatra's Needle to Charing Cross Pier,
returning through a single platform built underneath the District
Railway Charing Cross station about 50 yards to the east of the Bakerloo
Embankment station. The District Railway station was rebuilt in
connection with this work to serve as an adequate exchange station for
the three railways. With the rebuilding, a circulating area was made
under the District Railway line with platforms that were connected with
the two tube stations by pairs of escalators. The Hampstead pair were
brought into use on 6 April 1914, simultaneously with the opening of the
loop line. The name Charing Cross (Embankment) was adopted on that
date for all three lines (District, Bakerloo and Hampstead) at the
interchange point and the old Hampstead station was renamed Charing
Cross (Strand). Just over a year later, on 9th May 1915, the
Embankment stations dropped the word Embankment and became Charing Cross
simply, whilst the Hampstead line station dropped the Charing Cross and
was called Strand only.

Quoted from "Sixty Years of the Northern" pages 21 and 22.
--
Clive