Old September 24th 12, 09:12 PM posted to cam.transport,uk.transport.london

Default Cambridge to London City Airport

I've been looking up flights and it turns out one of the connections works
nicely via London City. Can anyone recommend a sensible way to get there
from Cambridge? Previously there was an express bus from Liverpool St, but
that went when the DLR extension was built.

National Express to Stratford then DLR is the obvious one looking at a map,
but it appears that involves a change at Poplar (or Jubilee to Canning
Town). NatEx's southbound stop at Stratford wasn't ideally placed for the
station (though I've no idea if the Olympic works have moved things about).

I would have (quite a lot of) luggage, so non-traipsing options would be
appreciated. I've walked from Liv St to Bank a fair bit to make onward
connections from there, but it's not something I'd want to do with luggage.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Theo

Old September 24th 12, 09:39 PM posted to cam.transport,uk.transport.london

On 24/09/2012 22:12, Theo Markettos wrote:
[...]

National Express into town and then a taxi over to the airport, perhaps?
Old September 24th 12, 11:54 PM posted to cam.transport,uk.transport.london

" wrote:

[...]

I was going to make the same suggestion. :-)
Old September 25th 12, 07:34 AM posted to cam.transport,uk.transport.london

In message , at 23:41:36 on
Mon, 24 Sep 2012, Paul Corfield remarked:
It is somewhat surprising how awkward this journey is if you have to
ponder dragging a lot of luggage around.

About ten years ago I had to do several cross-London trips with lots of
luggage and a very bad back. Stairs were out of the question.

What I found was that you could often patch together a route from a
number of "stepless changes", although sometimes it was noticeably
slower.

For example (and perhaps of help to the OP), you can change from the
Liverpool St Mainline concourse to the clockwise Circle [but not the
anticlockwise). And if you take a train from there to Mile End it's a
cross-platform change to the eastbound Central.

What I don't know is whether it's possible to change from the Central to
the DLR at Stratford steplessly. (Or indeed whether it's better in
practice to get National Rail to Stratford and then change.)

But I hope that gives a flavour.
Old September 25th 12, 08:32 AM posted to cam.transport,uk.transport.london

On 25/09/12 08:34, Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

I've found this useful now and again.

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/use..._TRIP_REQUEST2

PB

Old September 25th 12, 11:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

We were about to embark at Dover, when
(Theo Markettos) came up to me and whispered:

Can anyone recommend a sensible way to get there
from Cambridge?

Docklands to Bank, Central line tube to Liverpool Street

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

---- If it's below this line, I didn't write it ----
Old September 25th 12, 11:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
12:07:00 on Tue, 25 Sep 2012, Paul Cummins
remarked:
Can anyone recommend a sensible way to get there
from Cambridge?

Docklands to Bank, Central line tube to Liverpool Street

I don't think the change at Bank even has escalators.
Old September 25th 12, 02:03 PM posted to cam.transport,uk.transport.london

In uk.transport.london Paul Corfield wrote:
The final slower option is to use the 473 bus from LCY to Stratford.
You get a level connection at Stratford Bus Station on the return leg
and a short connection across the Broadway on the outward leg.

http://www.londonbusroutes.net/times/473.htm

Thanks, the 473 looks like a good option. It only takes 20-30 mins, which
is probably quicker than lots of faffing at interchanges. I might give that
a go.

Theo
Old September 25th 12, 02:48 PM posted to cam.transport,uk.transport.london
Bob Bob is offline

On Sep 24, 11:12*pm, Theo Markettos theom
wrote:
I've been looking up flights and it turns out one of the connections works
nicely via London City. *Can anyone recommend a sensible way to get there
from Cambridge? *Previously there was an express bus from Liverpool St, but
that went when the DLR extension was built.

National Express to Stratford then DLR is the obvious one looking at a map,
but it appears that involves a change at Poplar (or Jubilee to Canning
Town). *NatEx's southbound stop at Stratford wasn't ideally placed for the
station (though I've no idea if the Olympic works have moved things about).

I would have (quite a lot of) luggage, so non-traipsing options would be
appreciated. *I've walked from Liv St to Bank a fair bit to make onward
connections from there, but it's not something I'd want to do with luggage.

Any suggestions?

I fly into and out of LCY (inbound from overseas) reasonably
frequently, and a few of those have involved trips to/from Cambridge.
I generally travel light, but I would recommend:

Cambridge - King's Cross
walk across Pancras Road,
Southeastern Highspeed St Pancras to Stratford International
DLR Stratford International to LCY. This may involve a change of
trains at somewhere like Canning Town, but at least sometimes there
are through trains.

All the stations involved are either new build or recently refurbished
and have lifts/escalators from platform to concourse level.

Robin
Old September 25th 12, 03:30 PM posted to cam.transport,uk.transport.london

On 25/09/2012 15:03, Theo Markettos wrote:
In uk.transport.london Paul Corfield wrote:
The final slower option is to use the 473 bus from LCY to Stratford.
You get a level connection at Stratford Bus Station on the return leg
and a short connection across the Broadway on the outward leg.

http://www.londonbusroutes.net/times/473.htm

Thanks, the 473 looks like a good option. It only takes 20-30 mins, which
is probably quicker than lots of faffing at interchanges. I might give that
a go.

Theo

One last option - train to Liverpool Street, go outside at the front,
catch the 135 to Limehouse and then DLR to LCY. Optionally replace the
bus with a taxi (probably best to Limehouse as Shadwell access on the
road isn't easy)