Old August 22nd 10, 05:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

Default Transportation option from London City Airport to Regents Park.

"PeterL" wrote in message

We'll be arriving London City Airport at 9 pm. What's the easiest
option for transportation to the Marriott Hotel Regents Park on 128
King Henry's Rd? We probably don't want to deal with buses or
lightrails or trains. How about a shuttle? What would taxi fare be
for that distance?

Have added uk.transport.london where there are at least two cab drivers who
can give you an idea of the fare.

Ian

Old August 22nd 10, 06:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 18:27:03 +0100, "Ian F."
wrote:

We'll be arriving London City Airport at 9 pm. What's the easiest
option for transportation to the Marriott Hotel Regents Park on 128
King Henry's Rd? We probably don't want to deal with buses or
lightrails or trains. How about a shuttle? What would taxi fare be
for that distance?

Have added uk.transport.london where there are at least two cab drivers who
can give you an idea of the fare.

Don't know the taxi fare, but your options are basically public
transport or taxi - I'm not aware of any US-style shuttles - it was
tried but was a failure, probably because of London's traffic.

Assuming you don't have lots of luggage I would abandon the "don't
want to deal with buses, lightrails or trains", take the DLR to
Canning Town then the Jubilee Line to Swiss Cottage which is the
nearest Tube station (it's nowhere near Regent's Park station). It's
not overly complicated (though it will require one change - just a
quick walk downstairs) and it'll cost four quid each (or less with an
Oyster card if you have one).

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To reply put my first name before the at.
Old August 23rd 10, 02:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

wrote:
"PeterL" wrote in message

We'll be arriving London City Airport at 9 pm. *What's the easiest
option for transportation to the Marriott Hotel Regents Park on 128
King Henry's Rd? *We probably don't want to deal with buses or
lightrails or trains. *How about a shuttle? *What would taxi fare be
for that distance?

Have added uk.transport.london where there are at least two cab drivers who
can give you an idea of the fare.

The hotel's own site gives details including taxi fares.

http://www.marriott.co.uk/hotels/fac...p-london-marri...

That took a nanosecond of googling.

The public transport journey is actually pretty easy - Docklands Light
Railway service to Canning Town, Jubilee Line to Swiss Cottage and a
shortish walk to the hotel.

If you're laden with luggage then I can understand the reluctance but
given the distance being covered, one change between lines is very
convenient. There are escalators and lifts at LCA station and Canning
Town but Swiss Cottage has steps out to the street from the ticket hall
so a tad less convenient there.

HTH

--
Paul C

Thanks everyone for the replies. Yes I have gone to the hotel's web
site, just interested in second opinions. We'll have two mid sized
suite cases. But due to the late hours and unfamiliarity, a taxi is
preferred to light rail.

Old August 23rd 10, 06:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

In message , Ian F.
writes
"PeterL" wrote in message

We'll be arriving London City Airport at 9 pm. What's the easiest
option for transportation to the Marriott Hotel Regents Park on 128
King Henry's Rd? We probably don't want to deal with buses or
lightrails or trains. How about a shuttle? What would taxi fare be
for that distance?

Have added uk.transport.london where there are at least two cab drivers
who can give you an idea of the fare.

Ian

That'll be me then.

Welcome to London. You can get a London taxi directly outside the
terminal at City Airport. Make sure that you are not 'touted' on your
way out as you will not be insured in anything except a taxi. London
taxis are unique in shape and are easy to distinguish. They are known as
'black taxis' although they come in different colours these days. There
are some Mercedes Vito vehicles licensed as taxis; the main thing is to
look for the licence plate at the back and the meter inside - no plate,
no meter it's not a taxi.

The fare will be on the meter. It will vary depending upon traffic
conditions but after 9 p.m. there should not be too many delays. Expect
to pay somewhere in the region of £40.

Hope this helps. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England

Old August 23rd 10, 06:23 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

In message
, at
19:13:45 on Sun, 22 Aug 2010, PeterL remarked:
But due to the late hours and unfamiliarity, a taxi is
preferred to light rail.

9pm isn't late for London - especially as you'll get out of City airport
very quickly.

This site estimates the taxi fare at £40:

http://www.worldtaximeter.com/london

Although what they really want to do is have you pre-book what we call a
"minicab", which probably isn't recommended for someone in your
circumstances.
Old August 23rd 10, 09:01 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

On Aug 23, 3:13*am, PeterL wrote:

Thanks everyone for the replies. *Yes I have gone to the hotel's web
site, just interested in second opinions. *We'll have two mid sized
suite cases. *But due to the late hours and unfamiliarity, a taxi is
preferred to light rail.

It's not particularly late for London transport - everything will
still be running to decent frequencies at that sort of time (it won't
take you long to get out of London City Airport - you should easily
manage plane seat to exit in 20 minutes, particularly if not checking
luggage). And the journey is *really* easy - out of the airport, turn
right, get tickets then up the escalator to the DLR, get off at
Canning Town, walk downstairs (or use the escalator), take the Jubilee
Line towards Stanmore, get off at Swiss Cottage. You might want to
print a map off Google for the last bit but it isn't at all far.

Neil
Old August 23rd 10, 12:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

you should easily
manage plane seat to exit in 20 minutes, particularly if not checking
luggage)

I've not used London City recently (and am a UK national). The OP
appeared to be posting from the USA and I don't think has given
nationalities. So possibly a bit more than 20 minutes if arriving from
outside the UK and hits a queue for immigration?
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Old August 23rd 10, 03:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

In message OYtco.163011$6C1.65588@hurricane, at 13:38:07 on Mon, 23
Aug 2010, Robin remarked:
you should easily
manage plane seat to exit in 20 minutes, particularly if not checking
luggage)

I've not used London City recently (and am a UK national). The OP
appeared to be posting from the USA and I don't think has given
nationalities. So possibly a bit more than 20 minutes if arriving from
outside the UK and hits a queue for immigration?

But they only use small planes (and the bigger ones like the BA A318
service has only a very small number of passengers). Which only arrive
one at a time - looking at what's happening tonight:

8.20 Edinburgh BA - Embraer 190
8.40 Geneva Swiss/BMI - Avro RJ100
9.00 Zurich Swiss/BMI - Avro RJ100 (last flight).

Old August 23rd 10, 08:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 16:37:36 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

8.20 Edinburgh BA - Embraer 190
8.40 Geneva Swiss/BMI - Avro RJ100
9.00 Zurich Swiss/BMI - Avro RJ100 (last flight).

I think the worst immigration queue I ever waited in at LCY was about
15 minutes. It's nothing on Heathrow, and as you state it won't be
busy at that time of night. It doesn't appear from what I could see
that the non-EU queue was much slower (I'm guessing from the way the
OP's posting is written that they're from either the US or Canada).

It's a premium business-traveller's airport (though often a
surprisingly inexpensive choice!) and very well-run - the whole setup
is all about passing through as quickly and conveniently as possible.

To the OP - I hope you get an approach over central London - it is
truly spectacular (if often a bit bumpy).

Neil