Old December 31st 12, 11:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Step free

"martin_petrov" wrote in message ...

I have done some digging on from the recent press release and found this
document. It does list the 28 stns in the appendices.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...ble-transport-

network.pdf

Thanks! Not too many surprises, but it does list H&I getting step free as
a National Rail system by 2014, which implies they'd be putting in lifts
from the Great Northern (or however best to describe it) which seems
surprising. Obviously the high level platforms are already sorted.

If you believe Network Rail, they apparently have already installed a lift
to the GN platforms in Autumn 2010!

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/improve...all/stations#H

There is a disused lift shaft to the lower concourse area which could
plausibly be reinstated, but that still leaves the problem of how to get
down the steps to the actual platform areas.

Peter Smyth

Old January 1st 13, 03:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 10:24:21 +0000, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 09:35:45 on Mon, 31 Dec
2012, Denis McMahon remarked:

I made the journey via Waterloo / Underground / StP to catch HS1
services to North Kent exactly once. Never again. Back to Victoria
services.

Do they stop at Stratford? If so I think I'd use the Jubilee Line and
DLR, if starting from Waterloo.

I'm starting from Fratton. I have a choice of arriving at Waterloo (SWT)
or Victoria (Sn).

I could probably change at Gatwick or East Croydon for a Thameslink
service and get to StP that way, but it's swings and roundabouts,
travelling via Victoria is slower, but only involves a single change
(although the return often also involves a same platform change at Havant
for some reason).

The advantage of the faster route (HS1 as far as Ebbsfleet) quickly gets
eaten up by the extra time involved in making changes.

I did ponder the possibility of using Tramlink between East Croydon and
Beckenham Junction, but I suspect that I'd need to change again between
Beckenham Junction and Sittingbourne (Bromley South?).

Southern seem to run Fratton - Victoria, but in the reverse direction,
Victoria - Southampton so I need to use SWT for the last 5 miles.

--
Denis McMahon,
Old January 1st 13, 05:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Absolutely! Shut the station and use it for interchange only.
Did it ever look good? Was it ever modern?
Old January 1st 13, 10:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 1 Jan, 04:29, Denis McMahon wrote:
[...]

SWT and NSR both operate trains between Havant and Portsmouth. SWT
trains run to Waterloo by way of Guildford. NSR run to Victoria bith
thru Horsham and Hove. SWT also run a Portsmouth to Waterloo service
thru Basingstoke.
Old January 3rd 13, 03:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 12:00:20AM +0000, Mike Bristow wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
That's another small category - what about the rest?

TfL do a lot (they could do a lot more, of course). Things like
high-contrast floring and poles where approprate; good signage;
good staff training

Although, like most businesses in London, they appear to have forgotten
to train their customer-facing staff to speak properly, which is rather
inconvenient for those of us who are deaf.

--
David Cantrell | Bourgeois reactionary pig

engineer: n. one who, regardless of how much effort he puts in
to a job, will never satisfy either the suits or the scientists