Old December 29th 12, 08:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Step free

From Watford Observer, Friday, December 28, 2012.

Step free

TRANSPORT for London has announced that 28 train stations – including two in the Croxley Rail Link – will be made step-free. The list of underground and Overground stations across London includes Watford Junction, as well as Watford Hospital and Ascot Road stations. The work is expected to be finished in 2016/17, and will make it easier for disabled customers to use public transport.
…………………………………………………………
John Burke
WRUG

Old December 30th 12, 12:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
From Watford Observer, Friday, December 28, 2012.

Step free

TRANSPORT for London has announced that 28 train stations – including two
in the Croxley Rail Link – will be made step-free. The list of
underground and Overground stations across London includes Watford
Junction, as well as Watford Hospital and Ascot Road stations. The work
is expected to be finished in 2016/17, and will make it easier for
disabled customers to use public transport.

Isn't Watford Junction already step-free? And I assume they have no choice
but to make all-new stations step-free?
Old December 30th 12, 09:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Default Croxley (wa step free)

On 29 Dec, 21:23, wrote:
From Watford Observer, Friday, December 28, 2012.

Step free

TRANSPORT for London has announced that 28 train stations – including two in the Croxley Rail Link – will be made step-free. The list of underground and Overground stations across London includes Watford Junction, as well as Watford Hospital and Ascot Road stations. The work is expected to be finished in 2016/17, and will make it easier for disabled customers to use public transport.

Has construction on the Croxley link started yet?

Old December 30th 12, 12:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 02:59:32 -0800 (PST), e27002
wrote:

On 29 Dec, 21:23, wrote:
From Watford Observer, Friday, December 28, 2012.

Step free

TRANSPORT for London has announced that 28 train stations – including two in the Croxley Rail Link – will be made step-free. The list of underground and Overground stations across London includes Watford Junction, as well as Watford Hospital and Ascot Road stations. The work is expected to be finished in 2016/17, and will make it easier for disabled customers to use public transport.

Has construction on the Croxley link started yet?

Expected to start in 2014
Old December 30th 12, 02:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

TRANSPORT for London has announced that 28 train stations – including
two in the Croxley Rail Link

Is the full list available anywhere? Have googled around, but can't find
anything other than a few individual stations.

Old December 30th 12, 03:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:40:11 on Sun, 30 Dec
2012, martin_petrov remarked:
TRANSPORT for London has announced that 28 train stations – including
two in the Croxley Rail Link

Is the full list available anywhere? Have googled around, but can't find
anything other than a few individual stations.

Isn't it marked on the map? I saw a map the other week with a
distinction between step-free from train and from platform, presumably
the latter have a step up/down from the train. In that context, is
Watford Junction step-free from the train?
Old December 30th 12, 04:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:40:11 on Sun, 30 Dec
2012, martin_petrov remarked:
TRANSPORT for London has announced that 28 train stations – including
two in the Croxley Rail Link

Is the full list available anywhere? Have googled around, but can't find
anything other than a few individual stations.

Isn't it marked on the map? I saw a map the other week with a distinction
between step-free from train and from platform, presumably the latter
have a step up/down from the train. In that context, is Watford Junction
step-free from the train?

It has a white background symbol, so presumably only to the platform, not
the train. Also, I assume that S Stock and 378s have different floor
heights, so even if it's step-free for one, it may not be for the other. I
wonder, how closely do the floor and platform have to match to be classed
as step-free?
Old December 30th 12, 05:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message

, at 11:03:50 on Sun, 30 Dec 2012, Recliner
remarked:
I saw a map the other week with a distinction
between step-free from train and from platform, presumably the latter
have a step up/down from the train. In that context, is Watford Junction
step-free from the train?

It has a white background symbol, so presumably only to the platform, not
the train. Also, I assume that S Stock and 378s have different floor
heights, so even if it's step-free for one, it may not be for the other. I
wonder, how closely do the floor and platform have to match to be classed
as step-free?

Within about a half an inch (or whatever that is in new money) I expect.
There are some tube station platforms (eg at Kings Cross) which have
short ramped-up regions, which I assume is to ensure that it's level.
You don't really need more than one carriage to be available, and if
there's a station with mixed stock you would just have to use the PIS to
indicate which ramped area was the one appropriate for the next train.

ps. I'm a bit disappointed that TfL (like many others) conflate
'disabled' with 'in a wheelchair'. There are many other disabilities
which can significantly affect people's ability to use public transport,
but aren't affected by step-free-ness.

I would have no issue if they went beyond their wheelchair symbol
and actually described the relevant stations as "step free", which can
of course also be of use to passengers who have chronic back pain, but
are able to walk as long as they can also drag a wheelie-bag with them
and not encounter stairs (but a one-inch step into a train would
probably be OK).
Old December 30th 12, 06:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:
ps. I'm a bit disappointed that TfL (like many others) conflate
'disabled' with 'in a wheelchair'.

They don't.

There are many other disabilities
which can significantly affect people's ability to use public transport,
but aren't affected by step-free-ness.

Indeed; and TfL have sensible policies for helping those with visual
imparments (VIPs!), for example.

I would have no issue if they went beyond their wheelchair symbol
and actually described the relevant stations as "step free",

That's exactly what the do. See, for example, the Step-free Tube guide
on http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/1106.aspx which details in great
detail the steps you will encounter when using any given station.

--
Mike Bristow
Old December 30th 12, 08:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 19:37:13 on Sun,
30 Dec 2012, Mike Bristow remarked:

ps. I'm a bit disappointed that TfL (like many others) conflate
'disabled' with 'in a wheelchair'.

They don't.

From your link below:

Disabled badge I need step free access...

There are many other disabilities
which can significantly affect people's ability to use public transport,
but aren't affected by step-free-ness.

Indeed; and TfL have sensible policies for helping those with visual
imparments (VIPs!), for example.

That's another small category - what about the rest?

I would have no issue if they went beyond their wheelchair symbol
and actually described the relevant stations as "step free",

That's exactly what the do. See, for example, the Step-free Tube guide
on http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/1106.aspx which details in great
detail the steps you will encounter when using any given station.

But if that's all they mean by "disabled access", then they have
performed the conflation.